Cannot install Base Development package

Just installed Tumbleweed this week (1 Feb 2022). Tried to install Base Development package (patterns-devel-base-devel_basis). Cannot do it. Message says “the to be installed pattern:devel_basis-20170319-9.8.x86_64 requires ‘zlib-devel’ but this requirement cannot be provided” Have any other Tumbleweed users had trouble installing Base Development package? Can this be fixed?

I just tried, with Tumbleweed running in a virtual machine. Using Yast Software Management, I selected “Base Development”. That seemed to work. And it is pulling in “zlib-devel”. Note that I did not complete the install, because don’t need it with that VM.

Most likely you have some other conflict. I suggest you attempt to install just “zlib-devel”, and see what conflicts that raises.

And please always tell what you do. Note that @nrickert told he uses YaST > Software > Software Manager. You didn’t tell what you used. When you use the command line, the easiest way to do that is to copy/paste the command and the output (complete!) into your post. And for that we have CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

I used YasT Software Management ans selected Base Development (patterns-devel-base-devl_basis) It will not install. The message I get is

YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2022-02-07 10:11:08

the to be installed patterns-devel-base-devel_basis-20170319-9.8.x86_64 requires ‘zlib-devel’, but this requirement cannot be provided
not installable providers: zlib-devel-1.2.11-18.19.i586[Tumbleweed_OSS]
zlib-devel-1.2.11-18.19.x86_64[Tumbleweed_OSS]
] break patterns-devel-base-devel_basis-20170319-9.8.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

] do not install patterns-devel-base-devel_basis-20170319-9.8.x86_64

] deinstallation of libz-ng-compat1-2.0.5-1.3.x86_64

YaST2 conflicts list END

I am afraid to de-install libz-ng-compat because other components (maybe even zypper) may depend upon it being there. Isn’t libz-ng-compat supposed to be a substitute ore replacement for zlib? Then why does this ask for zlib? Or, why isn’t zlib already installed? It appears that libz-ng-compat is somewhat poorly integrated into Tumbleweed.

Did you install it manually? I do not have it on my Tumbleweed with pretty much vanilla installation.

P.S. and please use tags [noparse]

[/noparse] around computer text.

Hi
It is there…

Information for package libz-ng-compat1:
----------------------------------------
Repository     : Main Repository (OSS)
Name           : libz-ng-compat1
Version        : 2.0.5-1.3
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : openSUSE

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I did a clean, plain vanilla install of Tumbleweed one week ago (1 February 2022)

The problem is, according to the message, that Base Development cannot be installed because zlib-devel is absent (not provided). But, zlib-devel cannot be installed while libz-ng-compat1 is in place. So, the question is, can I go ahead and de-install libz-ng-compat1, and then install zlib-devel? In other words, it would be a 2-step process: 1) de-install libz-ng-compat1 2) install zlib-devel

But, I am afraid to do this … what if other components of openSUSE are dependent on libz-ng-compat1? I may break something and not be able to recover. Is it safe to de-install libz-ng-compat1?

I think libz-ng-compat1 is something relatively new, is it not? The “ng” stands for next-generation. From what I have read, it is SUPPOSED to be a new, modern replacement for zlib-devel. So, why does openSUSE Tumbleweed Base Development still require zlib-devel to be installed first? Obviously, libz-ng-compat1 is NOT a perfect replacement for zlib-devel, if it were, my attempt to install Base Development would go through without a hitch.

I have run

sudo zypper dup 

several times since installing, hoping that this would fix the problem, but it has not. Surely there must be SOME other users who have tried to install Base Development, and run into the same problem? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Nothing in life is certain.

If I were in your situation, I would go ahead in install zlib-devel. I would expect a conflict, and one of the options to resolve the conflict should be to uninstall libz-ng-compat1.

Where is “there”?

If new Tumbleweed install now defaults to libz-ng-compat1 as replacement for zlib, then you should report it to bugzilla. It also needs to handle zlib-devel.

can I go ahead and de-install libz-ng-compat1 and then install zlib-devel? In other words, it would be a 2-step process: 1) de-install libz-ng-compat1 2) install zlib-devel

No. libz-ng-compat1 provides libz.so.1 which is needed by a lot of programs starting with RPM itself. If you manage to remove it, you will break RPM.

So, why does openSUSE Tumbleweed Base Development still require zlib-devel to be installed first?

Because nobody noticed it and fixed it. Open bug report.

Obviously, libz-ng-compat1 is NOT a perfect replacement for zlib-devel

You compare apples and oranges. libz-ng-compat1 is run-time library that is required to run programs compiled against zlib-ng. Replacement for zlib-devel is likely zlib-ng-compat-devel.

See Packaging issue for libz1/libz-ng-compat1 - openSUSE Factory - openSUSE Mailing Lists which describes similar problem and suggests how zypper can be used to switch between libz1 and libz-ng-compat1.

I am still unsure how installation ends up using libz-ng-compat1 instead of libz1. I have feeling this is not intentional, which calls for bug report even more.

I am a student and new to openSUSE. I just wanted to install Base Development because without it, one cannot compile C++ programs, Adacore Ada programs, probably other compilers as well. I do not know how to report this; can someone more knowledgeable please report it? It is hard to believe, that this has not already been fixed, as there must be many users who wish to install Base Development package. In the posted link, https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/thread/YNTZ4Z3LZHGJUH2XBZJX7NYIMKH74TNP/ M. Gardet says this is an “experimental” solution, so I am not anxious to try it. His message was posted in September 2021, almost half a year ago, and it seems the root problem has not been addressed yet. One should not have to resort to workarounds.

I am a student and new to openSUSE. I just wanted to install Base Development because without it, one cannot compile C++ programs, Adacore Ada programs, probably other compilers as well. I do not know how to report this; can someone more knowledgeable please report it? It is hard to believe, that this has not already been fixed, as there must be many users who wish to install Base Development package. In the posted link, https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/thread/YNTZ4Z3LZHGJUH2XBZJX7NYIMKH74TNP/ M. Gardet says this is an “experimental” solution, so I am not anxious to try it. His message was posted in September 2021, almost half a year ago, and it seems the root problem has not been addressed yet. One should not have to resort to workarounds.

Hi
I’ve never worried about pattern installs, normally install the likes of make, patch, gcc, gcc-c++ etc manually. The reason being is it will depend solely on what your compiling as to what additional development packages are required.

The “solution” given by Guillaume Gardet in the post https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/…X7NYIMKH74TNP/ is a work-around that he himself describes as “experimental” . That post was made in October 2021. Now it is February 2022, four months later, and it seems that this problem still has not been addressed in Tumbleweed. If I knew how to file a bug report to openSUSE, I would do it myself. Perhaps there is another reader of this forum who is more knowledgeable, who could file such a bug report? The problem remains: it is impossible to install the Base Development package, because it is looking for zlib, and the only way you can install zlib is to first de-install libz-ng-compat1, which will break the system. So, this is a Catch-22 situation. Base Development is a necessary pre-requisite for using many compilers in openSUSE Tumbleweed. It amazes me that a bug of such consequence has not already been addressed by the Tumbleweed developers.

openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Did anybody ever actually report this as a bug?