###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 2###
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader (hd0,2)+1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 3###
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader (hd0,3)+1

How do I have to change that file to get access to my Windows Vista??
I would be very thankful if anyone could help me,
Thanks, Gilles

Hi Gilleslu. I moved this so it could get attention from some experts. It would get lost tacked to that old thread.

Try changing this:

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

to this:

title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

I’m making some unwarranted assumptions here. That advice would fit if you had a computer with some sort of utility partition first up, followed by three windows partitions, where the first of those three was the original active partition. But I don’t know of course, so why don’t you tell us the history of the first four partitions on the drive?

Well you are quite right:

“Initial state under Vista”:
C: called “System” with Windows Vista and Software
D: called “software” but almost empty
E: called “Data”

During installation op openSUSE 11 the configuration mentioned came out. If I remember well, openSUSE chose D: to resize.

So I changed it into:
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

but only for windows1, was that right or do I have to change the other 2 windows partitions too.

When I restart my PC, choosing windows Vista, the notification “BOOTMGR is missing. Press CTRL + ALt + DEL to restart”

pffff. I think I loose my mind…

Gilles

Hi.could you post the results of fdisk -l (as superuser) to figure the partition scheme of your hd? You could give a try also to a boot manager like gag that’s to me much more easier to configure.

Yast/Grub put three windows partitions because it doesn’t know to seek the partition that contains the file “BOOTMGR”. You have to designate the partition that contains bootmgr. Partitions (hd0,1), (hd0,2) and (hd0,3) are respectively the second, third and fourth partitions on the drive. We’re wondering what is the first partition. That’s probably why bcrisciotti called for “fdisk -l”, which should show sda1 *.

So supply “fdisk -l” and we’ll see.

It would also be the quick solution to look from Suse into the four partitions and see which one has the file bootmgr in the root of the partition. Have a look – what do u see?*