cannot get Evernote through wine to run in openSUSE 12.2

Hi all,

I just upgraded to openSUSE 12.2 using the installation DVD and doing an
upgrade, rather than a fresh install. After the upgrade, I installed the
KDE repos for 4.9 and upgraded KDE also.

I use a program called evernote, running it in wine, and it works
(mostly) in 12.1. The main feature that I need to make it functional,
naturally, is the synchronization. Unfortunately, the synchronization no
longer works. Synchronization is with Evernote’s cloud server so that
you can keep all your evernote applications the same across devices.

On my partition running 12.1, I am running wine-1.4-2.12.1.x86_64.

on the partition running 12.2, I am running wine-1.5.6-2.1.2.x86_64.

ON 12.1 it connects to the Evernote server, authenticates, and syncs. On
12.2 it gives a notification of “Could not connect to the Evernote
server, authentication failed.”

So, any suggestions on what to do? I tried to add the wine repository to
see if I could downgrade wine to 1.4.2, but that is not available in the
wine repository. I think in 12.1 I was just using the wine that came
installed with 12.1. These are the repositories that I have:


george@linux-o3ef:~/Documents> zypper lr
#  | Alias                     | Name                               |
Enabled | Refresh
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
1 | KR49                      | KR49                               |
Yes     | Yes
2 | KR49_Extra                | KR49_Extra                         |
Yes     | Yes
3 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6         | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                  |
Yes     | No
4 | packman                   | packman                            |
Yes     | Yes
5 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.2-Debug                |
No      | Yes
6 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug         |
No      | Yes
7 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss |
No      | Yes
8 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss              |
Yes     | Yes
9 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.2-Oss                  |
Yes     | Yes
10 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.2-Source               | No
| Yes
11 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.2-Update               |
Yes     | Yes
12 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss       |
Yes     | Yes
13 | wine                      | wine                               |
Yes     | Yes


G.O.
Box #1: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | ATI Radeon HD 3300 | 16GB
Box #2: 12.1 | KDE 4.9.1 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | nVidia C61 GeForce
7025 | 4GB
Laptop: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.1 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | Intel HD Graphics 3000
| 8GB

My guess is that you’re probably running openssl 1.0.1 or later, and running into WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 30598 - Evernote can’t connect to server. The workaround is to use an older version of openssl.

On 09/29/2012 08:26 PM, dimesio wrote:
>
> My guess is that you’re probably running openssl 1.0.1 or later, and
> running into ‘WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 30598 - Evernote can’t connect to
> server’ (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598). The workaround
> is to use an older version of openssl.
>
>

Thank you for the link. I am reading up on what to do and will post here
what kind of results I get.

G.O.

On 09/29/2012 08:26 PM, dimesio wrote:

My guess is that you’re probably running openssl 1.0.1 or later, and running into ‘WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 30598 - Evernote can’t connect to server’ (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598). The workaround is to use an older version of openssl.

Ok, I following the link, here is what I understand.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598

In the bug report there is a lot about adding packages and attachments, or installing an earlier version of openssl. Apparently openssl needs to be .98 or earlier, or there is a particular patch to install if you don’t want to downgrade openssl.

The problem I am facing now is, how do I install a patch for a windows application run in wine?

Here is the link for the patch:
http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=41438&action=edit

Is this patch a patch for wine? If so, do I need to make a whole new package and build it, and then install it as a patch for wine using zypper install?

I don’t know yet how to make packages using rpmbuild, but I had a 15 minute crash course the other day in the beginnings of how to do that. So I am ready to rise to the challenge, but I want to make sure I am on the right path.

I am running wine-1.5.6-2.1.2.x86_64 in openSUSE 12.2 on my laptop (see below).


G.O.
Box #1: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | ATI Radeon HD 3300 | 16GB
Box #2: 12.1 | KDE 4.9.1 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | nVidia C61 GeForce 7025 | 4GB
Laptop: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.1 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB

On 09/30/2012 11:44 PM, golson765 wrote:
> On 09/29/2012 08:26 PM, dimesio wrote:
>> My guess is that you’re probably running openssl 1.0.1 or later, and
>> running into ‘WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 30598 - Evernote can’t connect to
>> server’ (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598). The workaround
>> is to use an older version of openssl.
>>
>>
> Ok, I following the link, here is what I understand.
>
>
> http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598
>
> In the bug report there is a lot about adding packages and attachments, or
> installing an earlier version of openssl. Apparently openssl needs to be .98 or
> earlier, or there is a particular patch to install if you don’t want to
> downgrade openssl.
>
> The problem I am facing now is, how do I install a patch for a windows
> application run in wine?
>
> Here is the link for the patch:
> http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=41438&action=edit
>
> Is this patch a patch for wine? If so, do I need to make a whole new package and
> build it, and then install it as a patch for wine using zypper install?
>
> I don’t know yet how to make packages using rpmbuild, but I had a 15 minute
> crash course the other day in the beginnings of how to do that. So I am ready to
> rise to the challenge, but I want to make sure I am on the right path.
>
> I am running wine-1.5.6-2.1.2.x86_64 in openSUSE 12.2 on my laptop (see below).
>
> –
> G.O.
> Box #1: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | ATI Radeon HD 3300 | 16GB
> Box #2: 12.1 | KDE 4.9.1 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | nVidia C61 GeForce 7025 | 4GB
> Laptop: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.1 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB

The patch is for wine, not any Windows application. To use it, you would need to
get the sources for wine, patch those sources, and install the new wine binary
using a simple ‘sudo make install’. Making an rpm and using zypper to install it
would be extra work that is not needed.

If there is a way to solve the problem by changing openSSL, that approach will
be a lot less work.

On 10/02/2012 12:58 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

>
> The patch is for wine, not any Windows application. To use it, you would
> need to get the sources for wine, patch those sources, and install the
> new wine binary using a simple ‘sudo make install’. Making an rpm and
> using zypper to install it would be extra work that is not needed.
>
> If there is a way to solve the problem by changing openSSL, that
> approach will be a lot less work.
>

did a “zypper se -s openssl”, and the only openssl that is available in
my repositories (which are all 12.2 repos) is 1.0.1c-2.1.3. So I
downloaded the openssl from the 12.1 OSS repository to put it in my
downloads folder, but when I went to install it from yast, it needed to
break all the dependencies for openssl 1.0.1 and install them for 1.0.0,
and those are all in the 12.1 repository.

So, I am faced with either patching the wine sources or enabling the
12.1 OSS repository on my 12.2 system.

If I have analyzed this wrong, please let me know if there is a simpler
way to go to an earlier version of openssl.

For now I am going to try and download the wine sources and running the
patch.

On 10/02/2012 12:58 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

>
> The patch is for wine, not any Windows application. To use it, you would
> need to get the sources for wine, patch those sources, and install the
> new wine binary using a simple ‘sudo make install’. Making an rpm and
> using zypper to install it would be extra work that is not needed.
>
> If there is a way to solve the problem by changing openSSL, that
> approach will be a lot less work.
>

I can see that getting the sources for wine will be a lot of work, as I
cannot find the sources in the regular or wine repositories. Here is
what I am able to find in the repositories for wine:

[CODE:]
george@linux-o3ef:~/Downloads> zypper se winesource*
Repository ‘downloads’ is out-of-date. You can run ‘zypper refresh’ as
root to update it.
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Summary
| Type
–±--------------------------±----------------------------------------±-------
| wine-debugsource | Debug sources for package wine
| package
| wine-mp3-debugsource | Debug sources for package wine-mp3
| package
| wine-snapshot-debugsource | Debug sources for package wine-snapshot
| package
| wineasio-debugsource | Debug sources for package wineasio
| package
george@linux-o3ef:~/Downloads>



How do I get the sources for wine? Or else, how do I install an earlier
version of openSSL?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On 10/02/2012 12:58 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

> The patch is for wine, not any Windows application. To use it, you would
> need to get the sources for wine, patch those sources, and install the
> new wine binary using a simple ‘sudo make install’. Making an rpm and
> using zypper to install it would be extra work that is not needed.
>
> If there is a way to solve the problem by changing openSSL, that
> approach will be a lot less work.
>

I think I am going to try out the linux client nixnote that uses the
evernote database instead of pursuing making wine work any further.

Thanks!