Cannot connect to internet with openSUSE 13.1 dual boot machine

Hello all,

I have a former Windows XP only desktop that I converted to a dual-boot machine some time ago. I have not attempted to access the Internet with it until now.

I am having no success with getting openSUSE to connect. I have viewed some videos about doing this via YaST, but my panels do not match the panels as they appear on the video.

Can someone please point me to a clear resource for resolving this issue? I am an experienced Windows user, but I am a complete novice with openSUSE.

Thank you in advance.

Are you trying to connect via wired or wireless connection? Wireless may be harder if firmware or a proprietary driver is required. Provide more details about your network hardware.

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard

You can use a memory stick to transfer the output (copy/paste to a file) to a machine/OS with a working internet connection.

BTW, when you are finally online, I would really recommend upgrading to a currently supported openSUSE version, where security patches are available.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

13.1 is a currently supported openSUSE version, where security patches are available, and in fact is the Evergreen version.:wink:

Which desktop are you using? KDE, or Gnome?

Thanks to all for replying.

I am using a wired connection and the KDE desktop.

Sorry, you’re quite right…but only until November it would seem?

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

Here is the info I found when running the command supplied by Fraser_Bell. I apologize for the formatting.

mws200:~ # /usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard28: PCI 300.0: 0200 Ethernet controller [Created at pci.319] Unique ID: rBUF.6tHZuckQUPD Parent ID:qTvu.TCusF8v8hPE SysFS ID:/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0 SysFS BusID:0000:03:00.0 Hardware Class: network Model: “RealtekRTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller” Vendor:pci 0x10ec “Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.” Device: pci0x8168 “RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller” SubVendor: pci 0x8086 “Intel Corporation” SubDevice:pci 0xd606 Revision: 0x01 Driver: “r8169” DriverModules: “r8169” Device File: eth0 I/O Ports:0x1000-0x1fff (rw) Memory Range: 0x93000000-0x93000fff(rw,non-prefetchable) Memory Range: 0xf8400000-0xf841ffff(ro,non-prefetchable,disabled) IRQ: 45 (no events) HW Address:00:19:d1:84:d4:7b Link detected: no Module Alias:“pci:v000010ECd00008168sv00008086sd0000D606bc02sc00i00” Driver Info #0: Driver Status: r8169 is active DriverActivation Cmd: “modprobe r8169” Config Status: cfg=no,avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown Attached to: #14 (PCI bridge)mws200:~ #

Does this help?

Please post your network hardware details using the command I gave previously. If the hardware is supported (with the interface active), the next step is to configure for your network.

Are you using Network Manager or ‘Traditional ifup’ for networking? This can be configured via YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings

Output is best posted enclosed within

...[/COD.] tags. Refer to the # button in the forum editor. Anyway, from the hwinfo output I can see you have a Realtek NIC, supported by the r8169 driver. The output shows no link detected. Did you plug it in yet? Are you connecting via a router (as opposed to a DSL/PPPoE connection)?

At the time I captured that information, the cable from the router was not connected.

Should I connect it and capture it again?

Sorry, but I have to disconnect from this computer and connect it to the dual-boot machine.

No, I was just mentioning the link status reported in case you were not aware. When you do connect the machine, do you get a valid IP address assigned?

ip addr

Default route?

ip route

If not, you’ll need to configure via YaST first as I outlined already. If desired Network Manager can be enabled to control your interfaces as well.

Hi Deano,

I was able to connect successfully using this information:

Are you using Network Manager or ‘Traditional ifup’ for networking? This can be configured via YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings

https://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/…ec.nm.activate

I used the information in 25.2 steps 1 through 3.b. Was able to connect immediately.

Thanks so much to you and everyone for all your help! I have much to learn about openSUSE.

Good to read of your success with this. :slight_smile: