Cannot change sound after update

So, after software update (124 packages) I cannot change sound volume and I cannot also mute it. Is there any way how to revert the changes or how to repair it?
OpenSUSE version: 11.4 64bit

Normally your best course of action is to do a clean install of openSUSE and not an upgrade. openSUSE 11.4 uses PulseAudio and it has been suggested you need to use pavucontrol. Check out my message here on the subject:

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro drivers install problem

Now, another user discovered they could revert KMIX to the old version with this change:

I found a simple but great workaround to bring back all of the channels on Kmix.

Add the following to .bashrc . In KDE do a Alt-F2 and enter “kwrite ~/.bashrc” and add the following line at the bottom of this file:

export KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1

You can disable PulseAudio using the terminal command:

setup-pulseaudio --disable

I would go slow and do things one at a time and see if they help before doing it all. Consider that in the end, you may need to just do a clean install and forget about doing an in place upgrade. Good Luck!

Thank You,

I just found out what was the cause… it was changing volume of… something… but not the sound output so I entered the mixer and I was randomly changing all the values until I found the one that really changes the sound and I exchanged the working (it had word alsa in it) with the unusable and now it works.

I just found out what was the cause… it was changing volume of… something… but not the sound output so I entered the mixer and I was randomly changing all the values until I found the one that really changes the sound and I exchanged the working (it had word alsa in it) with the unusable and now it works.

So you changed the Master Volume selection? That is good to hear you got it working properly Gekoncze.

Thank You,