Cannot boot into Vista after openSuse 11.0 Install

I have a lenovo Y410 laptop with Windows Vista and installed OpenSuse 11.0 from a DVD yesterday. From the windows environment, I accessed the DVD and ran the OpenSuse 11.0 Installer (local). After which the OpenSuse 11.0 Installer (local) option got added to the Windows Boot Manager from where I completed the installation. I was happy to see it go smooth and finally be able to login into the openSuse environment. However when I wanted to get into the Vista environment today, to my dismay I was not able to boot into windows.

Here is what happens when I power on the laptop. The Grub Loader shows the following options:

Opensuse 11.0
Windows Vista
Opensuse 11.0 (FS)
Kernel-2.625.160.1-pae

When I select the Windows Vista option, it open the Windows Boot Manager which shows the following options:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Opensuse 11.0 Installer (local)

(not sure why the latter is still existing in the Windows Boot loader)
The strange thing is when i click on the Microsoft Windows Vista, it actually runs the Opensuse 11.0 Installer (local), and when I click the Opensuse 11.0 Installer (local) option, it also runs the installer program.

So far I have tried only the following and either of them did not work.

Yast->System->Other->Propose New Configuration
and, setting the following in the menu.lst:
###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title windows vista
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Can you please help identify what is wrong and how to get back to boot into windows as well?

Thank You
Joseph

Login to suse

In a terminal as su - type:

fdisk -l

paste result here

Then give us the contents

/etc/fstab

and

/boot/grub/menu.lst

In the future, install from the dvd and NOT from windows. There is another thread at the moment with the same issue.
I have a R61e and have flawless results installing suse along with Vista or XP

Take a look at this thread 11.0 installer problems - openSUSE Forums

Please find below the output if fdisk -l and also df -l

linux-7utb:/ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3ffc3ff

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 3825 30724281 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 3826 17654 111081442+ f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda3 17655 19457 14482597+ 12 Compaq diagnostics
/dev/sda5 3826 15105 90601411 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 15105 15963 6891885 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 15964 16225 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda8 16226 16895 5381743+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 16896 17654 6096636 83 Linux
linux-7utb:/ # df -l
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda8 5297172 3590004 1438084 72% /
udev 1032916 148 1032768 1% /dev
/dev/sda9 6000880 226292 5469760 4% /home
/dev/sda1 30724280 28868600 1855680 94% /windows/C
/dev/sda5 90601404 85456280 5145124 95% /windows/D
linux-7utb:/ #

Please find below the contents of /etc/fstab:

linux-7utb:/ # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part7 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part8 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part9 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part5 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

The contents of menu.lst:

linux-7utb:/ # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Oct 13 00:25:39 EDT 2008

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part8 devfs=mount,dall resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae

title windows vista
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part8 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off x11failsafe

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Kernel-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae###
title Kernel-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.16-0.1-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB244CHJJ49HND-part8 devfs=mount,dall resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent showopts

title windows vista
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

The above you need to alter, as vista appears to be on this line in fdisk:
/dev/sda1 * 1 3825 30724281 7 HPFS/NTFS

try editing the above to this:

title windows vista
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Interesting how that got reverted. As you can see from my quotes in the post sent earlier (beginning of this post), i changed that to 0. I did not observe that it got changed to 7 when I sent the output again to you. Let me try it out again when I get back home.

I’ve been testing various scenarios using the “install from within Windows” method (OK, I admit it - I need my head examined.) The problem is not with grub or menu.lst. It is with the Vista bootmgr program, or more specifically, with the Vista bcd boot entry registry. Please read the following carefully; it’s important that you understand the problem and why I recommend what I do below.

Return to post #1, when you select Windows Vista from the grub menu, and you get:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Opensuse 11.0 Installer (local)

What has happened is that grub has chainloaded correctly to the Vista boot sector which in turn runs Vista bootmgr. Bootmgr looks at the bcd (this is Vista’s equivalent of boot.ini on W2K/XP) where there is a entry for each boot option. The “OpenSUSE installer” entry is added when the DVD is run from within Windows and the openSUSE windows executable is run from it (as you did). This enables the openSUSE installer to run after you reboot, which it prompted you to do. After completing installation and at next reboot, after you boot into Vista an openSUSE program automatically starts which removes its previously added installation files and also removes the “installer” entry from the bcd. Obviously, if you don’t get into Vista, that program does not run and the entry remains.

Why the Vista boot option (in the second, Vista menu - not the grub menu) does not work, I don’t know. I was unsuccessful replicating that problem, and I went through this cycle 3 times - each time on my test box it all worked as intended. I would have to actually see the Vista bcd entries to determine what is either preventing bootmgr from calling the Vista loader or forcing bootmgr to use the openSUSE entry. However, I strongly suspect that the problem is connected to that “Compaq Diagnostics” partition along with the way that Vista creates a unique identifier (the GUID) for each bcd entry.

In any event, it is very easy to make the Vista menu “openSUSE installer” entry fail. While that will prevent the installer from booting, we cannot be sure whether Vista bootmgr will then use the Vista entry to normally boot as it should. If the reason Vista is not booting is due to something strange in the Vista bcd entry itself, that entry may have to be re-created.

So . . . this is what I suggest. First, let’s force the Vista menu openSUSE installer entry to fail, and then see if the bootmgr can successfully use the Vista entry. To do this, boot into openSUSE, open a terminal window, and switch (“su”) to root. Precisely what you do here depends on whether the Vista NTFS partition is already mounted (this was optionally set up during install, so I can’t know exactly what you did). Do this

mount

to see whether /dev/sda1 is mounted. If it is, then change to the mount directory. For example, if it is mounted at /windows/c then do

cd /windows/c

But if /dev/sda1 is not mounted, do this

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt

Now do this

ls

to list the files. (You should see Vista files like autoexec.bat, pagefile.sys, config.sys. If you don’t, you haven’t mounted the partition or you aren’t in the right directory; re-check the above.) Look for grldr.mbr and do this

mv grldr.mbr grldr.mbr.removed
ls

Now you should not see grldr.mbr, only grldr.mbr.removed. Reboot the machine. The installer entry will still be there, but selecting it will fail (“file not found”). Try booting the Vista entry. If that does not work, it means the bcd registry is somehow damaged. Since you cannot boot into Vista (and there is no F8 “Safe Mode” like there is with XP), you must use the Vista Recovery Environment. The instructions from here depend on what you have for recovery with that machine, i.e., do you have a bootable Vista installation or recovery CD/DVD? Or is there a recovery system you can start up from the bios (probably on that Compaq partition)? If you don’t have recovery media, you can get it via bittorrent download from here Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download and burn that to CD.

If the renaming above worked and you booted into Vista, the openSUSE un-install program will run to remove the openSUSE bcd entry and you’re done. If we have to use the Vista RE, post back results so far and what you have for recovery, and we’ll go from there.

I am not sure if my bcd registry is damaged, even though I cannot boot into Windows Vista. I renamed the grldr.mbr to grldr.mbr.removed and rebooted my machine and went into the Grub Loader-> Chose the Windows Vista option->went into the Windows Boot manager->Clicked on Open Suse Installer (local). It failed giving the message that grldr.mbr was not found(let me know if you need the exact error message, i could have pasted it now but the recorded error message is not with me right now and I can do so in abt 8 hrs :)). I then quit out of this menu and next selected, Windows Vista from the Windows Boot Manager, and still got the same error. But why did I get the same error? Why was Vista looking into this file for booting up? Changing the rootnoverify (hd0,7) to rootnoverify (hd0,0) in the menu.lst and rebooting also did not help.

Then I downloaded the Windows Vista Recovery Disc and made a bootable DVD, but my system doesn’t recognize it as a bootable disc and goes to the next step of booting from my HDD. This was the same reason why I ran the DVD installation of opensuse 11.0 from within the windows environment and landed into this situation. I am not sure why this problem? I chose the simple drag drop in opensuse linux and clicked the “Write to Disc” option.Any special software to handle this, I need to use? I also have a Lenovo Vista Recovery DVD Drive, which boots from the DVD, no issues here, but it has only two options, either move the current data in the C drive to a backup directory and then reinstall itself or format my entire C drive. So now I am pretty much left with the option of reformatting my C drive and reinstalling Vista again, though I am not happy with this option. However, I now started taking the backup of my entire C drive onto an external hard disk to prepare for reinstallation of Windows Vista and reincarnate my C drive like before. And I hope in this event the problem doesn’t reverse itself, with my Windows Vista functioning and opensuse doesnt. Any other thoughts/suggestions please?

Hi,
I ran in exactly the same issue. What I did to bring my laptop back to dual boot - Vista Ultimate & Vista Ultimate:
1 - I took Vista installation DVD and I performed a fix system. Obviously the original boot loader is gone and openSUSE boot option disappeared also.
2 - at this step - having only vista boot system - I took openSUSE 11.0 DVD and I chose fix installation - boot loader.
3 - reboot into openSUSE and modified /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding Vista entry
So after 20 minutes I was able again to have dual boot Vista - openSUSE 11.0

I can appreciate your frustration. I really did not want to write the above post. But it is what it is. :frowning:

The first error you got saying grldr.mbr not found, was expected. We forced that by renaming the file, in the hope that Vista’s bootmgr would take the other bcd entry. If you got the same error message referencing grldr.mbr when selecting the Vista menu choice, that probably means that either the bcd “display order” (that’s the bcd term) is broken or more likely the bcd entry itself is wrong - it specifies the partition (using Windows’ drive lettering scheme, so probably C: on your machine) and the path which ordinarily is \Windows\system32\winload.exe. Or it is otherwise borked forcing bootmgr to use the only working entry, the openSUSE installer, which we renamed.

Whatever the specific cause, it can only be repaired with Vista’s RE - there is an “automatic” repair option which may work; alternatively bcdedit must be used from the command line.

If you can boot from the Lenovo Recovery DVD but not the downloaded Vista RE iso nor the openSUSE DVD you burned, then it is highly likely that you burned a “data DVD” instead of an “image DVD”, or you have a problem with the burning software or device itself. Given that the Lenovo DVD only gives you the option of a full reload (due to MS licensing, btw; the reason MS was compelled to produce that downloadable RE iso), I would focus my effort on getting that Vista RE iso onto a bootable DVD. And the openSUSE DVD, too, because if it comes to a reinstall and you use the same method as before, I would be concerned that the same problem will be replicated (there is a reason why Vista’s bcd is widely considered “horrendous”).

Finally, I’ll just mention a strangeness in the partition table - the “Compaq diagnostics” partition. These “recovery partitions” and how they are implemented by manufacturers, have caused a lot of grief for users. Essentially, the assumption is that the user will never do anything to alter the structure of the disk nor use software that is incompatible with the recovery programming (which in some cases, even means the retail version of Windows). That partition has a Type Code of 12, which literally means “Compaq config partition”. So apparently Lenovo is using this special Compaq-originated type of partition. It is conceivable that this is related to your bcd problem - so, if you have to reinstall openSUSE, plan on manually setting up the disk partitioning.

@kanadian - note OP does not have a Vista installation DVD. That is why the downloaded RE, which OP has not been able to make bootable. Also, @jthumma, again in ref to using the RE’s automatic fix option - there is a risk in using that on a system with the partition recovery mechanism like yours. It is therefore safer to use bcdedit from the command line, if that is possible.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and help. I am now able to Dual boot OpenSuse and Vista. Based on @mingus725’s reply, I found this article on microsoft support: Error message when you start Windows Vista: “The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information” and ran the bcedit and bootrec commands mentioned in the Option 2 on the command prompt by loading the Vista Recovery Disc to fix the problem. Thanks again for you help.

Good job! :slight_smile:

And thanks for that MS kb link; that is very handy. And I think you were wise to do it yourself rather than using Option 1, the automatic option.

I had looked for a way to rebuild the bcd with bcdedit, and could only see it having to be done manually an entry at a time. Leave it to MS to use bootrec instead (primary function of which is to restore the partition boot sector, entirely different) to rebuild the bcd store.

Anyway . . . welcome!

hi to everybody . Iam a new member and i have the same problem mentioned in here etch vista+opensuse 11.
I followed the instructions above but still have problem something is not going well . I seem not having access to C: in my laptop . Seems like its locked . I only have access when i boot opensuse ang getting it started sorry for bad english but iam greek

could yoy please help me?

Fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x54dcf34e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 192 1536000 27 Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 192 11106 87666705 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 15536 30402 119412736 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 11106 15536 35581935 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 11106 11368 2101698+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 11368 11630 2112516 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 11631 13220 12771643+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 13221 15535 18595206 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

/etc/fstab
bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied

/boot/grub/menu.lst :

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Oct 13 13:12:49 EEST 2008

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,6)/boot/message

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5425080319BB0F00WDD0NWPA-part7 devfs=mount,dall resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31A
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5425080319BB0F00WDD0NWPA-part7 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off x11failsafe vga=0x31A
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae

title windows 1
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 2###
title windows 2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
title XEN
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/xen.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5425080319BB0F00WDD0NWPA-part7 devfs=mount,dall resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31A
module /boot/initrd-xen

you could post here the contents of

/etc/fstab

there is help here for ntfs access
HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11

/dev/sda5 11106 11368 2101698+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 11368 11630 2112516 82 Linux swap / Solaris

You only need one swap partition!

Otherwise you fdisk output look a bit YUCK

/etc/fstab
is what we really need

you need to be su

sorry but i cant understand what exactly i have to do could you be more precisely by describing to me i would be very pleased if you do so i have been searching many hours for this in addition you need any information aboyt my system ?

i will not be in case to answer for the next few hours because i will have to go to work in a few moments

We need much more information. Is the problem that you cannot boot into Windows or is it that you cannot see the Windows partition from within openSUSE?

If the problem is with the boot, yow did you install - did you use the DVD and run the program from within Windows Vista (that is what this thread is about)? If not, please describe how you installed, and what version of Windows.

If the problem is seeing the Windows partition from within openSUSE, do this as @caf4926 asked, as root

cat /etc/fstab

heloo again . The problem begun when i install from a dvd the open suse 11 .from the windows vista environment i choose installe opensuse .It begun to install and asked me to restart to continue the installation i did and now i cant boot windows vista but only opensuse11. my laptop is toshiba sattellite A-300-15A and the vista says : Windows Vista Home Premioum OEMAct (32bit) . I also have to say that i dont have the rescue dvd i only have download from the internet windows vista 32 bit and write them on a bootable dvd . I will try to do what you tell me and give the results thanks anyway