Can SUSE recover dead HD?

Hi,
one of my 320GB HD get a error Invalid partition table is there a way I can recover my files?
I really appreciate (thank you) for helping me out.

Mike

Use Parted Magic Downloads
Application in there called Test Disk will recover partitions

Using Parted Magic an Introduction - openSUSE Forums

Nice to see you around mike.

Welcome back, Michael!

Caf beat me to it. You need to download the Parted Magic CD and keep it handy at all times. That thing is worth its weight in gold.

To answer your specific question, you could try this:

1. Insert your Opensuse CD/DVD, boot onto it
  2. Select Recovery at the boot menu
  3. Once you get to the terminal try an ‘fsck’ on the suspected partition (ex., “fsck /dev/sda1”) …

… but speaking from experience, it’s never that easy. With Parted Magic, you boot onto it, then you click Partition Manager, select the partition, then select Partition->Check from the menu.

Ok,
1st. I disconnect 1.5TB and 400GB that I got one left is 320GB HD.
So I can`t install SuSe.I got lots of picture and move from my Family on that HD,I should know to burn on a DVD.But it is to late:’(.
Please,please help me I know it is a hard to answer the Question.It is very important,it is from my Family history.
I really appreciate for helping me.

Thank you.

Mike

Hi caf4926 & smpoole7,
thank you for helping me out and I hope u cn help me more,if my wife find out in two week she will kill me hahahahaha.When she will find out she will be not happy at all well,every one make is a human not a computer u know what I`m talking about,ok ok go back to reallity.I have a big proplem and I know u cn help me it takes time to find out the problem.

Thank you again:)

Mike

Mike, chill out man. You make it sound like you are not allowed to talk with us here.

I’m not entirely clear what you want to do because First you said: my 320GB HD get a error Invalid partition table is there a way I can recover my files?"

Then you say: “So I can`t install SuSe.I got lots of picture and move from my Family on that”

Do you mean then that this 320GB HD is preventing your install, because it has the Invalid Partition Table?

If this HD just has data on it and no part of any install, just disconnect it so you can install to the other HD’s. Once you connect it back you will probably be able to get data off it (But actually what prevents you doing that right now, I’m not sure).

Otherwise Mike, you need to present a clearer picture of your situation;)

Are the 1.5TB and the 400GB defective?

So I can`t install SuSe.

Why? Because you’re afraid you’ll overwrite the pictures on the 320GB?

I got lots of picture and move from my Family on that HD

You don’t have any way to burn a CD? What about a friend’s house, or a coworker’s PC? If you can burn that Parted Magic CD, you can boot onto it and quite easily save everything on that hard drive (assuming, of course, that the drive itself hasn’t gotten scrambled or gone bad).

Provide a little more info. As long as the stuff is still on that drive, and assuming that the drive hasn’t been scrambled or damaged, those pictures can be saved. :slight_smile:

Please first follow Caf’s instructions. I’ve managed to recover data from loads of disks this way.

And for the future: backup, backup, backup, backup. Yes, four, to be kept:
nr. 1 at your desk
nr. 2 at the neighbours
nr. 3 at a friends on the other side of town, and…
nr. 4 in orbit.

Well smpoole7,

You right before you trying to tell me to burn on DVD it is already to late.
But I let every one know that I fund recovery data software and on my desktop it is Running my recovery software for 16hrs to recover all my data and cat4926:

Do you mean then that this 320GB HD is preventing your install, because it has the Invalid Partition Table?

Yes it preventing to install OS.
I took the 320 out of my tower and use as EXT.HD.I have EXT. hardcase so I can use my 320GB ext. to recover my data back to the others Harddrive and make a back up to DVD disc.I try 320Gb HD to recover to the other HD and let everyone know the next few days what`s happen and CAF4926 told me about Parted Magic(Test Disk) I will try that out.

Thank you I appreciate for helping me.

PS caf4926 my Family is now in Peru and they will be back mid. FEB.2010;)

Mike

What recovery software?

Parted Magic. See the link provided by caf4926 in his post above.

Parted Magic is a beautiful thing.

Im using WindowsXP ParetoLogic datarecovery to recover my 320Gb HD and the other one is called Stellar Phoenix it recover my 400Gb HD at the same time in 2 different computers. The one 400Gb HD it takes about 2.5days to recover over 700000000 files. Well I dont have suse install at all,but I make me note about Parted Magic in the future.

That is all it takes ;).

So I recovery few 1000 Folders and will look into it,but I download partedmagic as u to told me and I will burn this week.
But I will look into the recovery folders an if I can`t find the folder,it so must well use partedmagic.
Oooh but a way partedmagic looks like OS to me.

Mike

hi,

just want to ask… i have a “damaged” hard disk (when it is installed, i heard a spinning sound rrrrrrr…)… i am not sure if BIOS detect that hard disk…

now, my question is can i use partedmagic for that disk? or its already broken… no change of getting the files again?

You can but try.
If it’s any comfort to you - Hard Drives do spin and they do make a sound, but only you can determine the reality of where you are with this.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:33:23 +0000, vintag3 14 wrote:

> hi,
>
> just want to ask… i have a “damaged” hard disk (when it is installed,
> i heard a spinning sound rrrrrrr…)… i am not sure if BIOS detect
> that hard disk…
>
> now, my question is can i use partedmagic for that disk? or its already
> broken… no change of getting the files again?

Really depends on the nature of the failure. I started doing recovery on
a 1 TB drive that died about 3 weeks ago - it’s gradually gotten worse,
and now the OS won’t even detect it when I plug it in (it’s a USB
drive). If it makes a “click click click” noise when you plug it in,
chances aren’t good short of going anywhere but to a professional data
recovery service.

And that’s pricey.

Some people have said that putting the drive in the freezer can help;
when I started my recovery, that seemed to be working, but towards the
end, I was getting 40 minutes to an hour at a time (earlier I was getting
a max of 20 minutes), and I wasn’t doing the “stick it in the freezer for
an hour first” routine. I’ve read a few things suggesting that with
newer drives, this trick doesn’t work as well and that you can cause
permanent damage if you either leave the drive in too long or you get
condensation (which can cause oxidation - ie rust - and ruin the drive).

Fortunately for me, most of what was on that drive was just backups from
other systems, so recovery isn’t a huge deal, just would’ve saved me
some time backing stuff up and organising it on the new 2 TB drive I
bought to replace the old one.

Ah well…

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator