I got this problem:
- I just installed opensuse 11.2
- I’m using Gnome Desktop Enviroment and I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 card I would like to use.
- I backed up the xorg.conf file
- I installed the nvidia drivers through “the hard way”, I followed all the instructions and yes, I previously installed all the pre-requisites via Yast.
- After installed everuthing I’m not able anymore to start the x server. I tried to restore the xorg.conf file but after did that nothing seemed to be fixed because I’m still stuck in text mode.
Can anybody please, really please help me get the UI back and set the nvidia drivers so I can use my videocard and computer.
Thanks in advanced.
P.S.: If there’s a better place where this threat can be post let me know.
If the install of the driver went OK, remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf !!!
On 11.2 xorg.conf is no longer needed. The existing one probably contains settings that cannot be handled. If I create an xorg.conf on my main machine my Wacom tablet will not work OK, if I remove xorg.conf it works as soon as plugged in.
Thank you so much for your quick reponse Knurpht!
After I removed the xorg.conf file I was able to loggin back in the GUI. Unfortunately something went wrong with the driver installation because I’m still unable to use the Desktop effects neither Compiz. Before I had the xorg.conf issue I installed nVidia Settings app, now that I’m back in the GUI I used it but it displays a message saying " You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run ‘nvidia-xconfig’ as root)and restart the X server"
Since you said xorg.conf is no longer needed I don’t know what else to do in order to use my nVidia tablet, can you please help me to solve this.
Or maybe anybody else who can help me out?