can i have info about the structure

Hi, i’m quite new to linux and i barely know any console commands or anything… i had to look up the command to delete a folder (add -r to the rm command, right?) and thus i struggle quite a lot when using the console.

now, sometimes i have to copy/paste/remove files from the file system (which is every map under “/” except for “home”) but it’s a real pain if you don’t know enough commands. and it gets even worse if you get lost in this maze of folders, really…

commands can be looked up and learned easily, but could someone PLEASE explain me how “stuff works” down there? (there’s a “lib” folder in like almost every subfolder and i see both a “home” and a “usr” folder while i thought usr was short for user :S)

thanks.

happy holidays all!!

Joris

PS: im gone for 6 days but when i return i’ll thank you all :smiley:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Command - Information
cp - copy
mv - move/rename
ls - list (files)… like dir… I think Linux even has a ‘dir’ now for
people who come from windows-land
cat - print a file’s contents (same as ‘type’)

There are a lot of beginner guides online as well that may help you.

Good luck.

joris20 wrote:
> Hi, i’m quite new to linux and i barely know any console commands or
> anything… i had to look up the command to delete a folder (add -r to
> the rm command, right?) and thus i struggle quite a lot when using the
> console.
>
> now, sometimes i have to copy/paste/remove files from the file system
> (which is every map under “/” except for “home”) but it’s a real pain if
> you don’t know enough commands. and it gets even worse if you get lost
> in this maze of folders, really…
>
> commands can be looked up and learned easily, but could someone PLEASE
> explain me how “stuff works” down there? (there’s a “lib” folder in like
> almost every subfolder and i see both a “home” and a “usr” folder while
> i thought usr was short for user :S)
>
> thanks.
>
>
> happy holidays all!!
>
> Joris
>
> PS: im gone for 6 days but when i return i’ll thank you all :smiley:
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFJTVU/3s42bA80+9kRAnINAJsFIc3LNbms3BjyNjPWSTmDktkrUgCfTmZV
E+lCi7VmmARsDUV/xb0pKLo=
=/7Gq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Consult the openSUSE Start-Up Guide. The “Online Help” link on the installed desktop will take you to it on the Novell site. There is a section on the directory structure, overview of working with the filesystem, also basic commands.

Be very, very careful doing anything with this information - and certainly do not do anything now unless you are positive first. Many if not most users rarely get down inside the root sub-directories - all your own data is under /home. Those other directories are for code (all those “lib” files), services, scripts, booting, app control files, hardware control, system status (/proc and /sys), etc. Removing files and directories there can break the system - of course, you can only do so as root - and running as root can also be a very bad idea - one mistake with “rm -r” and the system is hosed (or, even gone from the disk).

ok thanks.
pity i removed that button right before i posted this message >.< didn’t seem to give much info at first… but i’ll find it!

ps: i was asking about root directories because i think i may have to delete the “firefox” folder and reinstall it because i have Ffox 3 BETA which has no plugin folder and thus i dont know how to install my new java environment into it xD

Did you install FF separately or from the openSUSE repository with YaST? If the former, unless you forced it under somewhere under /, it will be under /home somewhere. If the latter, in YaST Software Management search in “Name” for “java”; you’ll see the Sun browser plugin.

it came with the openSUSE installation (KDE desktop)
someone gave me the hint to look in /usr/lib/browser-plugins and that was correct :smiley:
so now i don’t have to reinstall ^^

thanks!