can I create new linux partition on unallocated space on UEFI dual boot (win8 opensuse13.1) system

Hello everyone.

I hope this is not a repeat thread. If it is a repeat, please direct me to the existing one.

Here is my problem: After much trouble I have installed OpenSUSE13.1 on a 2TB new disk (disk1) of a Windows 8 machine which came with 1.5TB disk (hardware is HP Envy h8-1534).
While installing the new disk to windows I had create a small windows partition and a large unallocated space. Windows 8 naturally resides on the original disk (disk0).

I currently use UEFI firmware that came with the machine to choose which system I need to boot by moving that system ahead of the other one in UEFI firmware boot order.

I did not realize that I had set root and home directories of Linux too small ( 8 and 12 GB respectively) during installation. I have 1835GB unallocated space on the new disk that I would like to use with openSUSE.

Is there a way doing this while I am logged on to OpenSUSE without damaging either system?

I am asking this question because

1. I read that people recommend reinstalling OpenSUSE with desired partition sizes. Knowing how much trouble it was to install OpenSUSE successfully on windows 8 system I would avoid this option if I can.

2. I read that people are recommending using live CD/USB type partitioners (e.g. gparted). I am reluctant doing that as I have to turn off the secure boot and the UEFI boot options every time if I want to boot from USB, that is I need to use legacy bios option in the UEFI firmware for booting from the USB to take place.

Here is how my system looks from windows disk manager:

disk0 is original disk which contains windows and its C: and D: partitions.

disk1 is the second disk which has linux (E:, F:, L: are swap, root and home partitions of linux, respectively) and G: drive of windows. and it has 1835 GB unallocated space that I would like to use for Linux.

EFI system partition of windows reside on disk0 and EFI system partition of linux on disk1 as they should be.

Any guidance on this matter will be appreciated.

Backup any personal data that is important from the home partition then wipe it and install correctly. Fixing what you have is more trouble then it is worth just reinstall. This time pay close attenuation to the partition scheme before accepting it .

Yes, and there is a reason for this.

If you would only have one last partition (in your case probably /home) that you would like to enlarge, i.e. a partition that is located just before the free space on the HDD, then that could be possible.

But you in fact seem to have 2 consecutive partitions that you would like to enlarge.

The first of these partitions (probably your root or ‘/’ partition) poses the problem.
This one can hardly be enlarged, because there is valid data written to the space on the HDD immediately following this first partition!

thank you both.

I am afraid G: drive of windows is between L: drive (linux /home) and unallocated space on disk1.
Am I stuck?

PS. I have important stuff installed on linux that is why I do not wish to reinstall linux (or windows).

On 2015-05-07 03:06, nec wrote:
> PS. I have important stuff installed on linux that is why I do not wish
> to reinstall linux (or windows).

Then backup and restore…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Nope you painted your self into a corner. You can not expand with space to expand to. partitions must be on consecutive sectors. You will have to re do Linux but I don’t see a huge reason to redo/change the Windows partition.

Note that the drive letters that Winodws uses have little or no meaning to the actual partitions. It is a Windows thing that the have dragged forward from whenever there were only drives and no partitions. You can assign any drive letter to any partition so it tells you nothing about the organization of the disk

On 2015-05-07 00:36, ratzi wrote:
> The first of these partitions (probably your root or ‘/’ partition)
> poses the problem.
> This one can hardly be enlarged, because there is valid data written to
> the space on the HDD immediately following this first partition!

Shrink home, then move it, then enlarge the preceding partition… :-?

I have done this many years ago with a windows tool, partition magic.
I’m unfamiliar with linux tools to do the same, because I prefer to
backup, repartition, and restore. But there was a tool, what’s the
name… parted something? Sorry, I don’t remember if it can do this.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks. I knew that the drive letters did not mean much. I was looking at the image that the disk manager of windows 8 gives when I said windows directory is being located between Linux and the unallocated space on disk1.

Anyway, since I did not have anything significant in that windows directory on th new disk I thought I could delete it with windows disk manager to put the unallocated space right after /home direcory of opensuse. I succeded as far as windows disk manager showed, but Guess what: this messed up the opensuse installation, it won’t boot anymore.

On a second thought may be even the windows 8 disk manager did not show the correct order of the things on that disk.

Loosing hope about retrieving Opensuse I now deleted all my linux partitions on disk1 (again using windows disk manager) and I now have 1862 GB unallocated space there.
opensuse efi system partition of size 156MB is not deletable for some reason. But that does not bother me.

What bother me was that my attempt t o reinstall opensuse failed. I tried to do exactly what I did before: reinstall opensuse from USB stick but UEFI firmware won’t now recognize it as a bootable media not matter how I twigged the UEFI firmware that came with HP Envy h8-1534. (turned off secure boot, turn off UEFI boot , turned on legacy boot, nothing helped.)

I am puzzled as to why some thing that worked before would not work again. Or is it crappy firmware.
Why should it be so difficult to make a USB readable by the firmware?
Any one has any ideas?

MS disk utilities lie through their teeth. Never ever rely on them for any work out side of Windows.

If you have a live boot Linux look at fdisk -l it will show you the truth

On 2015-05-08 00:36, gogalthorp wrote:
> If you have a live boot Linux look at fdisk -l it will show you the
> truth

But he says the stick now doesn’t boot…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

That’s the thing, you have to delete that partition from Windows Command Prompt!

Google “Diskpart clean efi”, you’ll get a step-by-step guide on how to do it.

Once the HD is fully wiped out, then you can redo the same process you did when you first installed OpenSuse.

---- ommit the following as it’s a bit late—

You could have used Gparted to move the partitions next to the unallocated space to extend said partitions… it was a simple process. I did the same a couple of days ago and it worked.

Thank you Timx. Diskpart info is very valuable I will use it.

Would it be a problem if I leave it there during reinstall of OpenSUSE assuming I can make UEFI read my bootable reinstall USB stick?

If I delete it with diskpart I have a related concern:
Will it mess up my windows 8 installation (as long as that disk is available to windows in Bios). Previously I had to format that disk in windows 8 and I had to create a windows partition on it.
Will I have to do that again?
I really don’t want to create any windows related event on it (other than a new EFI system partition) on it.

As I mentioned earlier I still have the bootable USB read issue that I need to resolve.