Can I change the partition where OpenSUSE is installed to a different mount point?

I’ve just successfully set up a multi boot system with Windows, OpenSUSE, and Arch Linux. When I open up Dolphin on SuSE, the topmost folders are Arch, windows, and bin, boot, dev, etc, and so on. I’d like it to be Arch, SuSE, and windows, just to make things look nice and organized. And I think changing the mount point of where SuSE is installed will solve this problem, right?

My fstab looks like this right now

LABEL=SuSE           /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
LABEL=Arch           /Arch                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
LABEL=home           /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3250318AS_5VM1GPGA-part5 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3250318AS_5VM1GPGA-part1 /windows/C           ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

and this is the partition setup as shown by Yast2

http://i51.tinypic.com/elq35.png

Am I going in the right direction with this? Is what I want even possible?

On 2010-09-17 03:36, MarthKoopa wrote:
>
> I’ve just successfully set up a multi boot system with Windows,
> OpenSUSE, and Arch Linux. When I open up Dolphin on SuSE, the topmost
> folders are Arch, windows, and bin, boot, dev, etc, and so on. I’d like
> it to be Arch, SuSE, and windows, just to make things look nice and
> organized. And I think changing the mount point of where SuSE is
> installed will solve this problem, right?

No way.

The “root” of the filesystem is and has to be “/”, so forget about changing it. Completely impossible.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

I don’t know if what you want is possible but you’re going in the wrong direction. The order filesystems are mounted in /etc/fstab has nothing to do with whatever is displayed in dolphin … or wherever else.

Well, I thought that changing “/” to “/SuSE” would organize its folders better, because having “/Arch” put an “Arch” folder at the topmost level, and Arch boots fine and it’s not “/”.

Is there anyway to get the folders to sort the way I want to? Or am I going to have to deal with this ugly way?

The whole LABEL thing is messing it up.

All you need do during install is set a mount point. But everything is mounted in the root (/) of SUSE. If you had simply selected the ARCH partition and given it a mount point /ARCH, it would appear at the top of the tree.

I should add. I do sometimes use Volume Labels, but I set those in Parted Magic way before I install SUSE. I never set them in again in SUSE, only the mount point. For example I have a partition that I call STORE and I gave it a Label in Parted M, but only used the mount point /STORE in SUSE.

So my fstab looks like this:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-00SBA0_WD-WMAPZ0196427-part8 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-00SBA0_WD-WMAPZ0196427-part6 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-00SBA0_WD-WMAPZ0196427-part5 /STORE               ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-00SBA0_WD-WMAPZ0196427-part7 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/sdb5 /NEW_STORE ext4 acl,user_xattr        1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

What a minute are you talking about the boot screen???

I don;t think anyone understands what you want to do.

You are mounting the partition that is the root ArchLinux partition in Suse as /Arch .That has nothing to do about booting into ArchLinux

All Linux has a root noted as / this is the root folder must be the root folder and is always the root folder.

You seem to be confusing partitions and file systems.

There are 3 things generally referred to as root In Unix/Linux the partition which the base file system is stored, the first level of the base file system /, and the super user or administrator root user. Don’t get them confused.

If you changed the mount point name of the root partition then nothing else would know where anything else was.

You could possible use chroot to redefine the root sub tree but boy are you asking for troubles.

Please MarthKoopa, study the information in the liink realy try to understand it. Because you have a lot of big misconceptions:http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Basics_of_partitions,_filesystems,_mount_points

Hi MarthKoopa,

After reading and re-reading your request, I may or may not, have an answer or
two. I, like you, like to get things in a specific order -but- that is not always
possible without some forethought… planning. I, in the not to distant past had
to completely rebuild my system due to some “operator errors”. Now, with My Lord’s
help, I’ll see if I can help you.

Now then, as you probably aready know, Dolphin will list things alphabetically.
The Partitions are labled in the install and they are “normally” your mount
points. Liunx/Unix considers everything a directory. That is what the mount points
are… directories. In Linux, as was stated in a previous reply, the Top Level is
“root”. You can’t go any higher. In the Linux/Unix file system this root dir is
specified as ‘/’ which is also the directory level separator. To specify root you
just use the ‘/’ and to specify something under root you use the slash in front of
it; ie /home. Then to specify something under home you do: /home/ctaylor and you
will get to my home dir. Something under my home dir is: /home/ctaylor/notes. And
it will progress this way for all the dirs and sundirs.

Since you have declared ‘/Arch’ as a mount point in openSuSE you have also
declared it as a dir. Now then you mentioned that Dolphin had ‘/Arch’ first and
then ‘bin’, ‘boot’, ‘dev’ etc listed. Notice what I said above about Dolphin
listing things alphabetically. IT IS listing SuSE first. The ‘/’ directory is the
Top Level and first. What you are seeing is the contents of root -or- as can also
be stated the openSuSE dir. You possibly also have a dir called ‘/windows’ and in
it will be dirs labled ‘C’, ‘D’, ‘E’, etc. (/windows/C, /windows/D).

Now then, if you boot into your ‘Arch’ version you will, IF you set it up, see
openSuSE listed as ‘/SuSE’ -or- ‘/openSuSE’ -BUT- the main level for ‘/Arch’ will
be ‘/’ just like it is in openSuSE. I too have a triple boot system which I
screwed up learning about. You can find the story and tales of SuSE/openSuSE on my
WebPages at:
Starting Over
and
Early SuSE
Take care -but- have fun,
Chuck

On 2010-09-17 07:36, caf4926 wrote:
>
> I should add. I do sometimes use Volume Labels, but I set those in
> Parted Magic way before I install SUSE.

The label is deleted when formatting in suse.

And you are not using labels in the fstab you posted.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))