bumblebee for nvidia - SDB article

Yes I will have a look around to see if I understand what your are asking.
I have been in there looking to see if I could disable the nVidia card. But it wasn’t there.

I found Virtualization Technology set at [VT-x Only]
And Secure Boot [Disabled]
Nothing about graphics, but knowing Toshiba, they have something I can’t see in the BIOS.

BTW, going through those long pages of logs, **no EE’s **, a WW(warning) for ‘intel module’ the ‘intel module not found’. and it appeared to to not be a problem in the four lines of text for that warning.

If I have to reinstall, can I put in bumblebee right away from Yast or the SDB instructions and have a chance of the nVidia card NOT making it fail again before I shutdown?

I just this minute found out that the installer CHANGED one of my partitions from EXT4 to Btrfs, and I also have two EFI partitions. NOT what I wanted at all!
And I don’t think I want all those snapshots taking up space. My head must have been in a dark place to miss that Btrfs mod to the partitioner.

What is wrong with this picture?
http://susepaste.org/89146617
Could two EFI System partitions be part(or all) of the problem? /dev/sda3 is the ‘/’ partition

Ok, no obvious issue with the graphics-related Xorg messages that I could identify.

Bill, can you please post your graphics hardware details?

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard

Again, a picture if easier.

Bill, can you try installing xf86-video-intel?

zypper in xf86-video-intel

then reboot and see how that goes.

Same old, Same old.
trouble uploading hwinfo image from iPad. Will get it to early my tomorrow, if I can’t get it done my tonight.

Just a wild shot here - If you boot to runlevel 3, then enable the discrete graphics GPU (as root)

tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<ON

then change to runlevel 5

init 5

does that then get a working graphical display

Blue screen with white square bouncing in a white ‘V’ for about 10 minutes, then the green Leap logo over 30 minutes, nothing beyond that for 30 to 40 minutes.
I didn’t know how to interrupt it, so I hit the power switch.
Fun stuff, eh?

I didn’t know how to interrupt it, so I hit the power switch.

Switch VT, login as root, and issue ‘shutdown -h now’ or ‘reboot’

Did you manage to get the hwinfo output yet?

I couldn’t get to a VT, it was stuck on the green Leap logo a very long time. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and nothing. I finally hit the enter key and it went to terminal mode so I could shutdown.

I thought I had this in from my iPad last night, Guess not, brain dead!
http://susepaste.org/67546495

Question, can is there a ‘zypper out’?
And should I remove ‘xf86-video-intel’ ?

You could disable Plymouth splash screen from grub I guess.

Question, can is there a ‘zypper out’?
And should I remove ‘xf86-video-intel’ ?

zypper rm xf86-video-intel

Thanks for submitting a photo of the hwinfo graphics hardware details. Others who may have more knowledge about hybrid graphics and Bumblebee may be able to assist further. It appears to me (and I could well be wrong about this) that somehow the display manager is not connecting or outputting to the appropriate display for some reason. I even wondered if connecting an external monitor via VGA might have yielded a working display.

Anything here cause a concern?http://susepaste.org/7032433

What is the ‘-part10’ in the Grub_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT ?

It’s your swap partition. Not relevant to the issue you’re facing here.

Time to put the install media in and:
1- choose the upgrade option ?
2- do another reinstall ?

I have seen at least three threads about Leap 15 boot ‘hanging’ on a black screen. One besides mine in the hardware area, and two today up in the Install/Boot area. One of those was after upgrade from 42.3 to 15.

We have done a lot the past few days, bumblebee is in, and discreet graphics are off.
Did you have a chance to look at the hwinfo image I posted?

The black screen I would be just before the KDE logo screen, and the cursor that is there is not a KDE cursor as it is on my desktop.

Just a hint: from the hwinfo screenshot we see that you have a Kepler Nvidia card (GK208M, GeForce GT 740M).
That series is known to be a problem and the SDB article has a section titled: "Problems with GT600M/GT700M series cards (Kepler).
I have no direct experience with those cards, so I cannot guess if your problems are related.

I read that in the SDB, but it did cause me confusion as too whether it is ‘solvable’ or not.

Looking more and more I should have made a third option.
3- remove Leap from that laptop

And hope I can get my windows boot loaders back relatively easily.

Too bad, I really wanted Leap on that machine, but not willing to disassemble to take the nvidia card out.