Building KIWI export from Studio in OBS - no selection for language/keyboard during first boot

Hi,
as Studio does not support building openSUSE 13.1 anymore, and I’m in need for a (lean) 32 bit variant, I’m currently trying to build an export from Studio in OBS.
Christian B helped with the base setup, so system builds and is bootable, but currently there are 2 pain points:

1. In studio, selection of language, keyboard and time-zone on first boot was set. This got lost on the way to OBS. Any ideas to get this in again? (in manifesto.xml in the kiwi source there are some tags (<time_zone>ask_on_first_boot</time_zone>) , but this is not translated to any command during boot…
  2. Handling of packed overlay files seems not to work.

For example, there is a file konq.tar.bz2 which contains some settings. It is only once in the log:

EXEC [chroot /usr/src/packages/KIWIROOT-iso chown -c root:root ‘tmproot/studio/overlay-tmp/files/konq.tar.bz2’ 2>&1]

but never mentioned again, although there should be some processing with it (config.sh):

mv /studio/overlay-tmp/files///konq.tar.bz2 //konq.tar.bz2
chown root:root //konq.tar.bz2
chmod 644 //konq.tar.bz2

Any ideas welcome!

Wondering if you’ve looked at any 13.1 images provided in a default Kiwi install/setup.
Been awhile since I’ve looked, but I’m pretty sure there were 13.1 JeOS images available (so less of a need to create your own minimal image).
If you’re on a later openSUSE and Kiwi is no longer providing 13.1 images, I’m sure that 13.2 (or earlier) Kiwi installs should provide those images.

TSU

On OBS you mean?

Been awhile since I’ve looked, but I’m pretty sure there were 13.1 JeOS images available (so less of a need to create your own minimal image).
If you’re on a later openSUSE and Kiwi is no longer providing 13.1 images, I’m sure that 13.2 (or earlier) Kiwi installs should provide those images.
TSU

As said, I was starting from a working copy from SUSE Studio. But OBS/plain Kiwi obviously behaves different…

No,
When you install Kiwi on your local machine, there are a number of images provided (and additional packages of optional images).
You should find JeOS images for a number of different platforms, and if you’re installed on a 13.2 (or most certainly a 13.1) machine, you should have 13.1 JeOS images.

So, there may not be a point to re-inventing the wheel unless you want something even more bare than the standard JeOS images (about 6 months ago some really good LEAP images were released on Docker based on a new JeOS but I doubt the same work was done on other versions of openSUSE). IIRC JeOS images distributed about a year ago were about 650MBytes in size… small enough for you?

If a standard 13.1 JeOS is sufficient for a starting point, IMO there should not be any need for you to export/import your OBS project.

If your current openSUSE is something like LEAP and doesn’t have 13.1 images(I haven’t checked), you can install 13.2 with Kiwi in a virtual machine, almost certainly you’ll have 13.1 JeOS images. If that doesn’t work, then you should be able to install 13.1 in a virtual machine, install Kiwi to get the 13.1 images you want and then copy those images to your current main Kiwi to modify.

TSU

I see.
I had checked OBS and found https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Live/kiwi-image-livecd-kde
May be a starting point as well, but need to look deeper into it