Build failed during RPM installation with kernel-rt

Hi, i’m trying to build an appliance with kernel-rt from
the j.eng repository to build an openSUSE based audio OS
for running on a notebook.
Everything is fine (there are no errors shown in RPM Selection)
until i try to build the appliance. Then i got the error
message:

“Build failed during RPM installation”

Details:


error: Failed dependencies:
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by aaa_base-11.2-43.46.1.jen1.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by bind-libs-9.6.1P3-1.1.1.jen1.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by coreutils-7.1-3.2.jen2.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by iproute2-2.6.29.1-6.3.jen2.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by kernel-rt-2.6.33.2-jen97.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by ksupport-jeng-2.6.33.2-jen97.noarch
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by net-tools-1.60-734.1.jen2.i586
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by tar-1.21-4.2.jen2.i586

While searching the web i found that this could be happen
because the rpm-Package is to old. So is SUSEstudio using
an old rpm-Package? Is there a way to build my appliance
anyway?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:46:01 +0000, zwenny wrote:

> While searching the web i found that this could be happen because the
> rpm-Package is to old. So is SUSEstudio using an old rpm-Package? Is
> there a way to build my appliance anyway?

Even if you could force the build to run, chances are it wouldn’t work -
dependencies are there for a reason, so I’d look to resolve that issue.

You might want to talk to the owner of the repository you’re using, as it
seems that they’re not fulfilling the dependencies needed to build a
system using their setup.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

I just hit same wall a few minutes ago. Since I’m a linux lame ;), but still interested in music production in suse, I pinged a creator of the realtime kernel. I’ll let you know IF he responds.

Let me know if you found any workarounds in the meantime.
Regards;
a

Very nice of you. I’ll post it here as soon as i know how to get this working.

Hey. I got the answer from Jan Engelhardt, who provided the rt kernel.

“…you need rpm-4.7 from openSUSE 11.2”

Well, I have it on my list of packages. Still unable to build the image…

Some more detailed info:

My rpm.rpm is xz-compressed (PayloadIsXz). You cannot install that if you do not already have an rpm that supports xz, which is why you need to move to SUSE 11.2’s rpm.rpm first which is still PayloadIsBz2.

I’m not really sure if one can do this via susestudio. His rpm.rpm is automatically selected with his kernel. Adding the original rpm has no effect.
I hate to give up, but remixes can’t wait and I’ll have to play with it the other day. Anyone pls let me know of any workaround. Thanks!

Hi there,

On 04/23/2010 10:46 AM, zwenny wrote:
> Hi, i’m trying to build an appliance with kernel-rt from
> the j.eng repository to build an openSUSE based audio OS
> for running on a notebook.
> Everything is fine (there are no errors shown in RPM Selection)
> until i try to build the appliance. Then i got the error
> message:
>
> “Build failed during RPM installation”

I can take a look if you give me the link to your appliance.

Cheers,
James Tan
Studio Dev

On 05/03/2010 11:36 PM, cellulit wrote:
> I hate to give up, but remixes can’t wait and I’ll have to play with it
> the other day. Anyone pls let me know of any workaround. Thanks!

Similarly I can take a look at your appliance if you provide the
appliance URL (eg. http://susestudio.com/appliance/edit/xxxx).

In general for a openSUSE 11.2 appliance you just need to add kernel-rt
and remove kernel-default in the software tab, and you’re good to go.
I’ve just tried that again to confirm that it works.

Cheers,
James Tan
Studio Dev

I think that was the fault:
When you add kernel-rt, kernel-default is added, too.
You need to ban all the other standard kernels
(kernel-desktop, kernel-default, kernel-pae, kernel-debug).
But why these kernels are added by default?
Even though there is an info message:
“It is not recommended to install more than one kernel”.
If you choose kernel-rt in YaST on an installed System
these kernels are not chosen to be installed, too.

On 05/06/2010 11:06 AM, zwenny wrote:
> I think that was the fault: When you add kernel-rt, kernel-default is
> added, too. You need to ban all the other standard kernels
> (kernel-desktop, kernel-default, kernel-pae, kernel-debug). But why
> these kernels are added by default? Even though there is an info
> message: “It is not recommended to install more than one kernel”. If
> you choose kernel-rt in YaST on an installed System these kernels are
> not chosen to be installed, too.

No adding kernel-rt does not add any other kernels. One needs to remove
kernel-default after adding kernel-rt because it is already there (it is
the default kernel ;-)).

One also does not need to ban the other kernels (desktop, default, pae,
debug, etc).

Cheers,
James

OK, this is right. But even there is no other kernel being
installed. Building still fails with same errors mentioned
in the first post :frowning:

On 05/07/2010 10:26 PM, zwenny wrote:
> OK, this is right. But even there is no other kernel being
> installed. Building still fails with same errors mentioned
> in the first post :frowning:

I can take a closer look at the specific problem if you provide the
appliance URL (eg. http://susestudio.com/appliance/edit/xxx).

Thanks,
James

OK, but when you change something, please let me know
what and why!
The URL is as follows:
http://susestudio.com/appliance/edit/193541
Thanks in advance:)

I stand corrected… The packages are, but rpm.rpm remains the exception even in my repo:


04:31 borg:../SUSE-11.2/i586 > rpm -qRp rpm-4.7.1-6.7.3.jen4.i586.rpm | grep Payl
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1

This remains unsolved ?
I to would like to add that realtime kernel, so please if you have successfully added it I would really appreciate if you let me know how you did it …

At the same time, is really a rt kernel needed any longer ?
I was under the impression that if one tweaked /etc/security/limits.conf that would help allot ? I might be wrong though, but I’ve read a few discussions about this on various forums and there are different opinions about this …

To my knowledge using the kernel-rt is a lot more than just a modified /etc/security/limits.conf. As far as my experience goes is it still needed for Realtime.
Outherwise j.eng wouldn’t have to build it any longer. I’ve tried realtime Audio Recording with the standard kernel and a tweaked limits.conf and the result
was just horrible. So I need to find another solution…

Anyone found a solution ?
I’ve tried some variants to no avail :frowning: