Bug report: default Ati Radeon driver fails when power saving and changing terminals

This is who-knows-what version of OpenSuSE that has this bug so I would like to alert developers to do something about it.

I have processor AMD A10-5600 APU with integrated Radeon HD 7660D.

After default installation, everything seems fine and works good. However, if I wait for 5 minutes, the screen connected through HDMI port turns off and never wakes up! This is due to the default graphics card driver. Also, switching to the terminal with CTRL+ALT+F2 stucks the video adapter and it is impossible to return to X.

On Sat 23 Nov 2013 08:26:01 PM CST, GianniTee wrote:

This is who-knows-what version of OpenSuSE that has this bug so I would
like to alert developers to do something about it.

I have processor AMD A10-5600 APU with integrated Radeon HD 7660D.

After default installation, everything seems fine and works good.
However, if I wait for 5 minutes, the screen connected through HDMI port
turns off and never wakes up! This is due to the default graphics card
driver. Also, switching to the terminal with CTRL+ALT+F2 stucks the
video adapter and it is impossible to return to X.

Hi
For reporting bugs, you need to have a read at the following url and log
the bug in bugzilla;
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.101-0.8-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I have had that problem (no HDMI port involved, though). This was with KDE, and I think it started KDE on opensuse 12.3.

My initial solution was to not run the power manager (I turned it off in “Startup and Shutdown –> Services Manager”).

However, that caused other problems. My alternative solution was to disable screen dimming in the KDE power manager. Turning off the screen seems to not be a problem. And, actually, dimming isn’t a problem either. But when the dimmed screen is restored to full brightness, it goes blank and rebooting is the only way to fix it.

Yes, … I am on desktop, so I simply set the time to turn off the screen to the longest possible period. My power management works, but I don’t allow the screen/graphics to go off. Also, I switched to factory ATI Radeon driver from AMD.com (fglrx…)