Brother MFC 7420 driver installed - ppd not in the list

the drivers for the printer Brother MFC 7420 is not on the DVD for Opensuse 11.0 - thus I downloaded brmfc7420lpr-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm and installed it using Yast. Nonetheless the driver does not appear in the list of PPDs.
Linux correctly identified the type of the printer.

The same procedure worked properly under 10.2

Can anybody help?
Werner

is there anything in this that is of use?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Brother_MFC-420CN

I do not have this printer.

I took a look at the openSUSE HCL and its not listed, which is not surprising … HCL/Printers - Brother - openSUSE
most openSUSE users don’t seem to want to make the effort to contribute to that HCL :mad: Not even an openSUSE-10.2 entry. (as you can see, … its a pet peeve of mine).

Anyway, I note there are also instructions here:
OpenPrinting database - Printer: Brother MFC-7420
which sends you here:
Brother: Linux Driver Homepage

You can also consult with the open printing forum for Brother printers:
OpenPrinting User Forums :: Printers from Brother

can one ask if you installed the cupswrapper file as well?

this was the question which helped to solve the issue - I downloaded the respective cups wrapper, installed it using Yast , … and the printer does what I expect it to do …

Thank you so much for your support!

One last question in this context - why did they design it this way asking for two packages to be installed instead of putting all together in one package?

Werner

One last question in this context - why did they design it this way asking for two packages to be installed instead of putting all together in one package?

The 2 packages exist because not all linux systems utilise CUPS for printing. Many networked systems use lpr, lprng, or via samba connected printers instead. Background on this here.

delighted to hear you got this working;; Swerdna has an excellent description of how he got a brother laser printer running:
HowTo Install a Brother Laser Printer HL-2040 in Suse 10.x + User Notes

a computer chain has recently been selling this same printer at a discount, as an end of line clearance; it sounds an excellent buy