Brother HL-2240 openSUSE 64 bit

Hi, is anyone using this printer or something similar in openSUSE? I have a HL-1435 so am looking for something cheap to replace it. BTW, this is a 64 bit system.

TIA!

I was using an HL-2040 until a month or so ago, in 11.x and 12.1. It was great. I don’t know how it relates to the HL-2240. I had to use the Brother drivers from their website. My experience is written up here: HowTo Install a Brother Laser Printer HL-2040 in Suse 10.x, 11.x + User Notes
Maybe it is not similar, you would have to check.

Swerdna, thanks for the reply. Really what I’m looking for is a cheap, low-end laser printer to replace my Brother HL-1435. I don’t care about the brand, just had good luck with Brother. My HL-1435 still works, but I have to be careful when I power it up with the USB cable plugged as it seems to send a jolt through the cable and shuts my system down hard. So I’ve been powering it up then plugging the cable in. I’m just concerned that there’s some power issue with it and don’t want to brick my whole system… :sarcastic:

I’m have Brother DCP-7055 mono laser printer with scanner as a home office printer. It works very well, and was inexpensive to purchase. At work, I have access to a network-connected HL-2250DN, which works equally well. If your environment allows, I’d recommend choosing a printer with network connectivity - easier to share, and it will get around any USB issue you may have.

Yep, I think network connectivity is the better way.
I have a brother MFC-5890CN connected to the router
and all home computers can easily print may it windows, mac or linux
as long as the printer driver is installed.:slight_smile:

I appreciate the replies. I want a mono laser printer rather than an inkjet. I’ve had lousy results with inkjets of many manufacturers; ink, paper-feed problems, you name it.

I agree, but this one I have is cheap, I bought it for the purpose of having to print cad plans and architectural renderings on 11"X17" paper.
It doesn’t consume too much ink and have an excellent color output.:slight_smile:

We have another one a brother DCP-7060D, bad thing doesn’t connect thru the router, my son use it for his graphics
and write-ups for faster printing. this one is another cheaper printer.

I appreciate the replies. I want a mono laser printer rather than an inkjet. I've had lousy results with inkjets of many manufacturers; ink, paper-feed problems, you name it. 

Similar experience with inkjet printers. I seldom print and ink jet printers don’t cope well with that. The mono laser is much cheaper and more reliable, using well proven photo-copier technology. I’m very happy with it.

Thanks everyone for the help. I found a lightly used Brother HL-2140 on craigslist for $25. It happens to be the printer I was looking for and the price can’t be beat, so I grabbed it. openSUSE and every other distro I run picked it up great and it’s up and running. BTW, how can I mark this thread as “solved”?