Broken sound/video on Dell latitude c600 with 11.1

Hello dear Community,

I have a problem with my Dell Latitude c600 Notebook.

Yesterday I had installed Suse 11.1 on it, with KDE and a lot of Packages… Before Suse I had run Debian on my Laptop.

Now the Problem, when I start an audio application like “Amarok” and play a Stream or a audio File (mp3, ogg), the Musik begin to play but its laggy… When I play a Video - The sound also laggy and I can’t see any picture (Video). Ahhh flash also laggy…

Maybe is my Notebook to lame… 800mhz :wink: ca 300mb RAM :slight_smile: I don’t know whats Suse need to run perfect?! With the Debian Distro all audio/viedeo/flash application are worked.

A part of Datasheet

AUDIO CHIPSET ESS Maestro 3I Sound System
VIDEO CHIPSET 2X AGP ATI Mobility M3 Video Accelerator w/ 16MB

The Driver and Alsa are installed…

Have anyone an Idea to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot

kind regards
peterderk

openSUSE does tend to be a bit bloated. 800 MHz with only 300 MB of RAM, … that is mininal, but it should work. I had openSUSE-10.2 (KDE-3.5.5) running on a friend’s PC with similar specs. With KDE3 I was able to play videos fine and listen to audio fine (but NOT High Definition video). I suspect Gnome will run marginally slower (but I do not know that for a fact and I could have that wrong). xfce WILL run faster based on my experience, but xfce also has less features. FVWM will run fast, but I suspect the derth of features will mean its not useful.

Check what audio engine you are using in Amarok. I believe the Packman packaged libxine1 being called by the Packman packaged of amarok (as opposed to the Novell/SuSE packaged versions) runs much better.

Are you up to speed in properly setting up your repositories yet? IMHO that should be the first thing you do, and if you don’t have that sorted yet, post ASAP so someone can help guide you through this.

Reference your video, check what video output module your multimedia application (video player) have selected. You may need to try “xv” (xvideo) instead of “auto” or “x11”. There are also other settings you can try.

Ohh thank you for your fast answer…

I don’t wanna use Gnome, xfce or any other Desktop, because I know them and I wan’t to know more about KDE, because I think KDE is very, very cool…

Ok i had degrade KDE to the 3.5.10 (release 21.9) version…
And OpenSUSE 11.1

Now the sound also lagging (also with xine), but I can watch movies, but also with a lagging sound. Kaffeine use Kaffeine-xine plugin

Are you up to speed in properly setting up your repositories yet? IMHO that should be the first thing you do, and if you don’t have that sorted yet, post ASAP so someone can help guide you through this.

What do you mean?

thank you…

peterderk

The very FIRST thing I do after a new openSUSE install (assuming Internet works) is set up my Software Package Manager’s repositories (where repositories (repos) are in essence file servers on the internet where software applications, drivers, codecs are stored). I always set 4 repos. Just 4. And I recommend new users do the same. Set up 4 repos. Just 4. Those 4 are OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman, Just those 4. No others. None. There is guidance for doing that here for openSUSE-11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community Again, just those 4. No others. You can add others once you know the risks involved, know how to recognize when adding others causes problems, and when you know how to solve the problems. Until then, just those 4: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. The chances are the 1st 3 are already setup for you (OSS, Non-OSS, Update) and you only need to add Packman and remove the CD automatic mounting as a repos.

As a new user, I recommend you do NOT add the videolan repos.

With those 4, you can easily to to YaST > Software > Software Management and change “filter” to “search” and search for and then install the packman packaged versions of applications (such as amarok, kaffeine, libxine1, xine-ui, smplayer, mplayerplug-in, kaffeine, libffmpeg0, w32codec-all, xvidecore, etc … ). You can tell the Packman packaged versions by the ‘pm’ in the version number.

Then in each of the multimedia players, you can change their output video mode to see if you can find a setting (such as auto, or xv (xvideo), or x11 … ) that gives you the best playback. My experience for older PCs is that xv (xvideo) provides this, but YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Also, old PCs such as you have most likely will NOT handle High Definition video, for high definition video on such an old PC will most likely lag .

Ahh cool thanks for information… I have done this.

I have a fine Sound now! :wink:

I must change the xine output module from Auto to oss :wink: that’s all

I think kde3 works better on my Notebook. But it doesnt look so good :stuck_out_tongue: I would play a little bit with the preferences :wink:

bye and thanks for help

regards

peterderk

Hi there. I also use Dell Latitude C600 laptop with openSUSE 11.1. I’ve fixed my sound problem by removing pulse audio, now it works just fine both with alsa and oss using xine engine. I am using both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.2 where KDE 4.2 is a bit slower but not too much. Flash playing is a bit slower though, but the problem with that lies in Adobe flash linux player that requires faster processor than windows version. I’ve installed Gnash instead of Flash to speed it up a bit. To play Youtube videos I am using a script that allows me to play them extremely smooth, even in fullscreen, not laggy at all (I’ve never been able to play fullscreen youtube videos before, not even in windows without terrible lag).