Broken media streaming over NFS in openSUSE 13.2 - video streaming over NFS in 13.2 is broken

I maintain a small network of PC’s which are mainly used for viewing DVD quality MPEG and HD MP4 media files streamed served by a couple of Drobo and NETGEAR NAS boxes. This has worked without serious problem for several years now.
I am now trying to retire one of the NAS devices and replace it with a SUSE NAS/PC combo.

Come the test swap, the SUSE box would not stream; playback would stop randomly and resume after a minute or so of locked pause. I replaced the suspect PC, tore the network apart, updated machines and so on. I could not isolate the problem or solve it. Wireshark implied a NFS problem and I then discovered that vanilla 13.1 machines were still streaming video to any client.
This suggests NFS as culprit.

All I needed to do to make streaming work again was downgrade to 13.1 [provided playback worked locally of course; which, as far as could be tested, it did.]
It is a very worrying development if I am required to freeze at openSUSE 13.1 and deny updates just to keep streaming working.

If openSUSE 13.2 machines do not stream but openSUSE 13.1 do then it becomes reasonable to conclude that 13.2 NFS is either broken or sabotaged.
It’s more probable that I’m missing out on a ‘new but predictably, as yet undocumented NFS feature’…

If that’s so then could someone direct me to CONTEMPORARY documentation on this whoopee new NFS attribute please.

Honest to God Streaming directly from network storage?

I’d probably need to know some basics of your setup, like…

• What media streaming server app are you using?
  • What codecs and possibly protocols are you streaming?
  • How are your streaming media clients configured… ie. possibly the OS (Various Windows OS have some auto streaming capabilities), the client app (ie media viewing application) used?

Note that if any of the above are missing, it’s likely you aren’t actually streaming the media file…

TSU

Unsure about that from right there…
If I asked myself* “is this going to be constructive thread?” *then I’d say not
Thanks for the contribution.

Then this thread should be in Soapbox.

Also what Tsu asked was right on the money, you gave literally no information about how you are doing the actual streaming, to what devices and what NFS mount parameters / export parameters you are using, what NFS version you are using (3, 4, with or without GSS and a lot of other things).

Were they? Actually I find it neither*** ‘right on the money’ ***nor constructive to start a diagnosis with the proverbial rolling of eyes and a “AW MAH GAWD you dun whaaat?” This forum has protocols against abuse: Starting every response with some kind of pointscoring insult is abusive, negative and counterproductive.
At least you remembered to ask about the NFS so why condone such abuse?

Right. I’ll just report the thread, it’s pretty clear you have no interest in the issue - you just want to vent.

Shifting to Soapbox

Moved from Network/Internet. Keep things civil folks.

Works here, 13.2 64bit KDE 4.14…

All right: An openSUSE PC server would not stream media files over a NFS network although local video playback would work. Every tested 13.1 machine would stream. Naturally I suspected a network issue with version 13.2 so I opted to replace 13.2 with 13.1 rather than making discrete but potentially catastrophic edits to NFS config files. If the same thing works in 13.1 then it is eminently reasonable to deduce that something is wrong with 13.2 NFS.
**User tsu2 did his own ‘venting’ **and trolled that *I was using computers all wrong, that I wasn’t streaming and whatever. *tsu2 demanded streamer brand, codec type, operating system and so on. This was not constructive but moderator Miuku endorses the interrogation as sound, pertinent and competent. I suggested that serial posters should be more polite to which Miuku responded that I was venting and abused his position by having the post removed from networking. Since tsu2 was not trolling then I’m not sure how I could be ‘venting.’ I may be venting now. Moderation is very biased.

Disregarding my original posting in order to mull over brand of player, codec choice or other choice titbit is an approach that does not help identify the issue. Both tsu2 and Miuku ignore the fact that 13.2 had been replaced or that I wasn’t really asking for a solution. **Answers were demanded of an installation I’d *erased. ***Having fallen back to 13.1 and with everything working I thought it worthwhile to share the experience not ask for help with an installation I’d erased. It is so not relevant if my codec is wonky.

It takes effort and time to isolate a problem, especially an obscure or poorly documented one. I spent considerable time on this. I tore a network apart. I used a number of all growed-up tools. I have a competency limit which this comfortably exceeded but I solved it with a sensible workaround.

More importantly, if my diagnosis is close and there might actually be an issue with 13.2 NFS then the Linux principle is to let others know. I had thought it would be useful to publicise an issue I found; that it was impossible for me to get file streaming working over NFS in 13.2.

Inevitably I got the standard openSUSE forum response.

**I posted because I suspect NFS. *It’s not about brand choice or if I’m using unapproved “server apps, codecs or protocols, streaming media clients or a client app.” *It’s so that others who might be experiencing similar frustrations could be aware and maybe, someone somewhere at SUSE might also be aware that something might be amiss.

I wiped the problem so there is no way to fix it, approved codec or not.

I’ve been installing and maintaining desktop SUSE for well over a decade. Over that period I’ve become aware of how this forum has developed and currently operates. I no longer post in the expectation of getting credible or competent guidance. **I just post to notify. **I only post about stuff that looks serious or if it is undocumented. I asked about NFS because I wanted to know how or if it had changed from 13.1.

I decline to keep jumping through senseless hoops or run futile errands that give pleasure to some tyre-kicking ne’er-do-well squatting by the forum. It’s probably only because there are so few new postings that my notify-only post elicited a response.

**I like SUSE, **I wanted it to prosper and I had invested in its future, but I am not contributing to its long drawn out expiration. Competition is fierce, new attractions turn up every month and users only take so much trolling or useless quasi-advice before moving on.

The entire site, an early stage ‘help’ forum can only muster two thousand active members. Networking had two posts today. The majority of postings remain unresolved or dribble off into nothingness. The site is less active than most haberdashery interest sites. It is not set in stone that user posters have to be abused. If anything it’s no longer in fashion because brand maintenance is paramount. There has to come a point where Micros Focus withdraws from these serially counterproductive shooting galleries which so undermine one of its brands.

**To tsu2: **I don’t care whether streaming directly from network storage keeps God happy or not. I have no made no effort to comprehend your opinion on the nature of streaming. How are they relevant to anything or indeed important enough for you to share? The people who rely on me find it more important that I get the things they need to work to work. You would do well to remember that.

I ask tsu2 to apologise and would very much like it if they stopped posting.

Please fix this site so it becomes useful once more and so we can use in comfort.

He has nothing to apologize for and has contributed to these forums and openSUSE in general much more than you have.

If this was any other forum, including majority of technical minded forums, you would have been banned after your first toxic response. I’m surprised how lenient the admins here are.

Remember this;
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/500205-Lost-a-working-NFS-setup-following-move-to-13-1/page4

Funny how these things repeat.

On 2015-06-24 00:56, sem101 wrote:

> Disregarding my original posting in order to mull over brand of
> player, codec choice or other choice titbit is an approach that does not
> Both tsu2 and Miuku ignore the fact that 13.2
> had been replaced or that I wasn’t really asking for a solution.
> *Answers were demanded of an installation I’d -erased. -*Having fallen
> back to 13.1 and with everything working I thought it worthwhile to
> share the experience not ask for help with an installation I’d erased.
> It is -so- not relevant if my codec is wonky.

In that case, you can not post in the
“opensuse.org.help.network-internet” forum, because that forum is for
people asking for help. You do not want help. Thus your post has to me
moved elsewhere. Rules.

> More importantly, if my diagnosis is close and there might actually be
> an issue with 13.2 NFS then the Linux principle is to let others know. I
> had thought it would be useful to publicise an issue I found;

No. What is important is for you to post about the issue, then wait for
comments, and act on the advice or questions that follow. Help us help
you. Just telling that there is something wrong, then not wanting to
help finding out why, is against the Linux spirit of contribution.

It doesn’t matter if initial answers are off track. Eventually we
usually narrow on a solution.

> I ask tsu2 to apologise and would very much like it if they stopped
> posting.

And most of us would like you to apologize, to us all, tsu included.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Closing this thread pending moderator discussion.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 22:56:01 +0000, sem101 wrote:

> It takes effort and time to isolate a problem, especially an obscure or
> poorly documented one. I spent considerable time on this. I tore a
> network apart. I used a number of -all growed-up- tools. I have a
> competency limit which this comfortably exceeded but I solved it with a
> sensible workaround.

What you did here is actually not typical of users who come in here.
We’re not telepaths - we have no idea what you’ve already done unless you
tell us.

Otherwise, if you just say “NFS is broken” without providing any
supporting details, we’re going to wonder how you arrived at that
conclusion so we’re sure we’re not spending time diagnosing the wrong
thing.

Maybe you told someone what you had already done - I don’t know (as I
didn’t participate in this thread). But attacking the forum in the way
in which you have isn’t the way to effect change. If you can provide
better answers to other questions, then do so - a forum like this is a
community effort, not just the efforts of a handful of members who
answer questions.

You have an option here - and that option is to set an example by
modeling the behavior you think is appropriate and desirable, rather than
complaining about those who do volunteer their time to help out.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C