Broadcom problem with 12.1 M5

With a new installation, I usually wait until it is complete before
configuring wireless. I have a copy of the /lib/firmware/b43/ files and
first I copy them into place. I then configure the wireless device via
Yast. I do this rather than use an ethernet link because I simply don’t
have a cable long enough. I usually have no problem doing this unless,
say, I’ve missed ticking the “enable IP forwarding” box - or it unticks
itself.

I had no trouble up to and including 12.1 M2. I missed M3 through video
trouble and so couldn’t update to M4.

With M5, I repeated the procedure several times to ensure I hadn’t made a
mistake but I could get no contact with the outside world. I also tried
the same procedure with another machine that has a Broadcom 4318 chip and
got the same lack of response. A new install of 11.4 on that machine,
following the same procedure, worked fine.

A third machine uses a BCM4312 chip and that appears to be configured
automatically during installation. Unfortunately, a hardware problem
means I can’t test it. Just my luck!

Here is the result of the command “/sbin/lspci -nnk” on this machine:

05:06.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
Subsystem: Belkin F5D7000 v1000 Wireless G Desktop Card [1799:7000]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210;
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Typically the method is this

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43

On 09/03/2011 01:16 PM, caf4926 wrote:
>
> Typically the method is this
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
> --------------------
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
> --------------------
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43
> --------------------

The above commands are needed if you manually copy the firmware files, but when
you run the install_bcm43xx_firmware script, it has been updated to do the
module unload/reload automatically. Both 11.4 and 12.1 have this functionality.

@Cloddy: Some models of the BCM4306 use b43 and others use b43legacy. As I have
both kinds, I just checked - yours uses b43.

Check dmesg with the following command:


dmesg | egrep "ssb|b43"

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> On 09/03/2011 01:16 PM, caf4926 wrote:
>>
>> Typically the method is this
>>
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>> sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
>> --------------------
>>
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>> sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
>> --------------------
>>
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>> sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43
>> --------------------
>
> The above commands are needed if you manually copy the firmware files,
> but when you run the install_bcm43xx_firmware script, it has been
> updated to do the module unload/reload automatically. Both 11.4 and 12.1
> have this functionality.
>
> @Cloddy: Some models of the BCM4306 use b43 and others use b43legacy. As
> I have both kinds, I just checked - yours uses b43.
>
> Check dmesg with the following command:
>
>


> dmesg | egrep "ssb|b43"
> 

Although I manually copy the firmware files, I have never needed to use
modprobe. Last time I used that for wireless was when using the windows
drivers with fwcutter.

Here’s the output from dmesg followed by a run of the modprobe commands
and another dmesg:

dmesg | egrep “ssb|b43”
8.649491] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level,
low) -> IRQ 21
8.649530] ssb: Core 0 found: ChipCommon (cc 0x800, rev 0x04, vendor
0x4243)
8.649536] ssb: Core 1 found: IEEE 802.11 (cc 0x812, rev 0x05, vendor
0x4243)
8.649542] ssb: Core 2 found: PCMCIA (cc 0x80D, rev 0x02, vendor
0x4243)
8.649548] ssb: Core 3 found: V90 (cc 0x807, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
8.649553] ssb: Core 4 found: PCI (cc 0x804, rev 0x09, vendor 0x4243)
8.652930] ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device
0000:05:06.0
8.993959] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found (core revision 5)
9.207088] Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
9.207098] Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
9.207108] Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio
19.194090] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01
00:50:23)

With modprobes:

/sbin/modprobe -rv b43
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/mmc/core/mmc_core.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/rfkill/rfkill.ko

/sbin/modprobe -v b43
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/rfkill/rfkill.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/mmc/core/mmc_core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/
b43.ko

dmesg | egrep “ssb|b43”
7.914740] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level,
low) -> IRQ 21
7.914783] ssb: Core 0 found: ChipCommon (cc 0x800, rev 0x04, vendor
0x4243)
7.914790] ssb: Core 1 found: IEEE 802.11 (cc 0x812, rev 0x05, vendor
0x4243)
7.914796] ssb: Core 2 found: PCMCIA (cc 0x80D, rev 0x02, vendor
0x4243)
7.914801] ssb: Core 3 found: V90 (cc 0x807, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
7.914807] ssb: Core 4 found: PCI (cc 0x804, rev 0x09, vendor 0x4243)
7.918181] ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device
0000:05:06.0
7.934125] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found (core revision 5)
8.121416] Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
8.121428] Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
8.121438] Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio
17.633071] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01
00:50:23)
121.799100] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A disabled
142.461362] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level,
low) -> IRQ 21
142.461409] ssb: Core 0 found: ChipCommon (cc 0x800, rev 0x04, vendor
0x4243)
142.461415] ssb: Core 1 found: IEEE 802.11 (cc 0x812, rev 0x05, vendor
0x4243)
142.461421] ssb: Core 2 found: PCMCIA (cc 0x80D, rev 0x02, vendor
0x4243)
142.461427] ssb: Core 3 found: V90 (cc 0x807, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
142.461433] ssb: Core 4 found: PCI (cc 0x804, rev 0x09, vendor 0x4243)
142.464825] ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device
0000:05:06.0
142.465967] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found (core revision 5)
142.479528] Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
142.479540] Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
142.479552] Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio
142.790069] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01
00:50:23)
310.957063] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01
00:50:23)


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On 09/04/2011 02:57 AM, Cloddy wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
>
>> On 09/03/2011 01:16 PM, caf4926 wrote:
>>>
>>> Typically the method is this
>>>
>>>
>>> Code:
>>> --------------------
>>> sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
>>> --------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Code:
>>> --------------------
>>> sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
>>> --------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Code:
>>> --------------------
>>> sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43
>>> --------------------
>>
>> The above commands are needed if you manually copy the firmware files,
>> but when you run the install_bcm43xx_firmware script, it has been
>> updated to do the module unload/reload automatically. Both 11.4 and 12.1
>> have this functionality.
>>
>> @Cloddy: Some models of the BCM4306 use b43 and others use b43legacy. As
>> I have both kinds, I just checked - yours uses b43.
>>
>> Check dmesg with the following command:
>>
>>


>> dmesg | egrep "ssb|b43"
>> 

Although I manually copy the firmware files, I have never needed to use
modprobe. Last time I used that for wireless was when using the windows
drivers with fwcutter.

The modprobe stuff saves a reboot. That is all it does.

Here’s the output from dmesg followed by a run of the modprobe commands
and another dmesg:

dmesg | egrep “ssb|b43”
8.649491] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A → GSI 21 (level,
low) → IRQ 21
8.649530] ssb: Core 0 found: ChipCommon (cc 0x800, rev 0x04, vendor
0x4243)
8.649536] ssb: Core 1 found: IEEE 802.11 (cc 0x812, rev 0x05, vendor
0x4243)
8.649542] ssb: Core 2 found: PCMCIA (cc 0x80D, rev 0x02, vendor
0x4243)
8.649548] ssb: Core 3 found: V90 (cc 0x807, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
8.649553] ssb: Core 4 found: PCI (cc 0x804, rev 0x09, vendor 0x4243)
8.652930] ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device
0000:05:06.0
8.993959] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found (core revision 5)
9.207088] Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
9.207098] Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
9.207108] Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio
19.194090] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01
00:50:23)

The firmware is loaded. Unloading and reloading does nothing and was not needed.

The excerpt of dmesg that you showed has no indication that the interface tried
to connect. Was that due to editing, or was that real?

Please try the following and post the output.


sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:46:42 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> The excerpt of dmesg that you showed has no indication that the
> interface tried to connect. Was that due to editing, or was that real?

That was real. Got the identical message on 11.4 system.

>
> Please try the following and post the output.
>
>


> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
> 

Results from command “/usr/sbin/iwlist scan” edited to show only the
entry for my router.

From openSUSE 11.4:

lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :

Cell 06 - Address: 00:13:10:53:C6:72
Channel:13
Frequency:2.472 GHz (Channel 13)
Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm
Encryption key:on
ESSID:“Scarlet-Jade”
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=0000003fb3c51185
Extra: Last beacon: 154ms ago
IE: Unknown: 000C536361726C65742D4A616465
IE: Unknown: 010482848B96
IE: Unknown: 03010D
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 32088C129824B048606C
IE: Unknown: DD0C000AF50A0202C00003010305
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

From openSUSE 12.1:

lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :

Cell 07 - Address: 00:13:10:53:C6:72
Channel:13
Frequency:2.472 GHz (Channel 13)
Quality=58/70 Signal level=-52 dBm
Encryption key:on
ESSID:“Scarlet-Jade”
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=0000003fd005e3f9
Extra: Last beacon: 64ms ago
IE: Unknown: 000C536361726C65742D4A616465
IE: Unknown: 010482848B96
IE: Unknown: 03010D
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 32088C129824B048606C
IE: Unknown: DD0C000AF50A0202C00003010305
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

If scanning works, then all you need to do is configure it.

There may be a problem with the NetworkManager applet with 12.1. On the 3
systems that I have installed/upgraded to 12.1, I needed to install the
NetworkManager-Gnome package to get nm-applet. That works. When you switch to
ifup, are you able to configure?

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 02:14:53 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> If scanning works, then all you need to do is configure it.

It has been configured, many times. You’ve just reminded me of something,
though. When I first hit this snag, I found out through trying to add a
repo in Yast and it complained that no connection had been configured.

>
> There may be a problem with the NetworkManager applet with 12.1. On the
> 3 systems that I have installed/upgraded to 12.1, I needed to install
> the NetworkManager-Gnome package to get nm-applet. That works. When you
> switch to ifup, are you able to configure?

Sorry, I’m using ifup. Never used Network Manager on either of the
machines that are giving trouble.

I’ll have a go with another machine later but installing whilst having
Ethernet connection to see how that works. I’ve avoided that so far as
graphics problems on that machine made just one installation a struggle
and I haven’t been enthusiastic about repeating the procedure.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:31:23 +0000, Cloddy wrote:

> I’ll have a go with another machine later but installing whilst having
> Ethernet connection to see how that works.

Done that and still no joy.

I tried configuring the wireless card during installation. I was a bit
surprised when I saw that fwcutter was needed but it was then installed.
At one point, the command install_bcm43xx_firmware was run and a message
said that the firmware had been successfully installed. I’ve no idea
where it thought it had installed it as I saw b43 and b43_legacy were
both empty on completion.

I tried configuring with a fixed IP address as usual and then, when that
failed, tried it with IP address assigned by DHCP.

I tried pinging my router and got the usual initial line - “PING
192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data” followed by messages
saying that 0 bytes had been received. At this time, the Ethernet cable
had been detached but I hadn’t deleted the configuration in Yast. When I
deleted that and tried another ping, I got this message - “network is
unreachable.”

I’m floundering here but it looks as though Yast has saved the
configuration information as it is carried from one run of Yast to the
next. However, it seems to me that whatever needs it for communicating
with the router is unaware that it has been configured. Has the location
of the info saved by Yast been changed or perhaps it should have been but
hasn’t and so only Yast is able find it?


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On 09/05/2011 08:41 AM, Cloddy wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:31:23 +0000, Cloddy wrote:
>
>> I’ll have a go with another machine later but installing whilst having
>> Ethernet connection to see how that works.
>
> Done that and still no joy.
>
> I tried configuring the wireless card during installation. I was a bit
> surprised when I saw that fwcutter was needed but it was then installed.
> At one point, the command install_bcm43xx_firmware was run and a message
> said that the firmware had been successfully installed. I’ve no idea
> where it thought it had installed it as I saw b43 and b43_legacy were
> both empty on completion.

Where were you looking? After running the install_bcm43xx_firmware script,
/lib/firmware/b43 and /lib/firmware/b43legacy must be populated.

> I tried configuring with a fixed IP address as usual and then, when that
> failed, tried it with IP address assigned by DHCP.

In /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0, what is the STARTMODE parameter? If that
is anything byt “ifplugd”,
>
> I tried pinging my router and got the usual initial line - “PING
> 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data” followed by messages
> saying that 0 bytes had been received. At this time, the Ethernet cable
> had been detached but I hadn’t deleted the configuration in Yast. When I
> deleted that and tried another ping, I got this message - “network is
> unreachable.”

After the “ifup wlan0” step, please post the output of /usr/sbin/iwconfig.

> I’m floundering here but it looks as though Yast has saved the
> configuration information as it is carried from one run of Yast to the
> next. However, it seems to me that whatever needs it for communicating
> with the router is unaware that it has been configured. Has the location
> of the info saved by Yast been changed or perhaps it should have been but
> hasn’t and so only Yast is able find it?

We’ll know more after we see the above data.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:29:59 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> On 09/05/2011 08:41 AM, Cloddy wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:31:23 +0000, Cloddy wrote:
>>
>>> I’ll have a go with another machine later but installing whilst having
>>> Ethernet connection to see how that works.
>>
>> Done that and still no joy.
>>
>> I tried configuring the wireless card during installation. I was a bit
>> surprised when I saw that fwcutter was needed but it was then
>> installed. At one point, the command install_bcm43xx_firmware was run
>> and a message said that the firmware had been successfully installed.
>> I’ve no idea where it thought it had installed it as I saw b43 and
>> b43_legacy were both empty on completion.
>
> Where were you looking? After running the install_bcm43xx_firmware
> script, /lib/firmware/b43 and /lib/firmware/b43legacy must be populated.

“Must be” but isn’t. I tried another install to make sure, 32-bit this
time, just for fun. Once again the installer wanted fwcutter, nearly had
to abort because it couldn’t find it at first, but eventually installed
it. Then it suggested that install_bcm43xx_firmware should be run. I
laughed but clicked OK and it immediately said the firmware had been
installed.

When installation was complete, I checked /lib/firmware/ but b43* folders
were empty. I then ran the script and it took the usual half-a-minute to
install the firmware. Makes the instantaneous positive message during
installation look silly. Seems like it gives that reply regardless of
whether the firmware was installed.

I noticed this attempt to install the firmware during installation in
earlier releases - 11.1 or 11.2? - including the misleading message as I
recall. Then it was removed. Looks like it has been resurrected but still
not working - at least not for me.

>
>> I tried configuring with a fixed IP address as usual and then, when
>> that failed, tried it with IP address assigned by DHCP.
>
> In /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0, what is the STARTMODE parameter?

STARTMODE in ifcfg-wlan0 (no eth0 on this machine) is “auto” in both 12.1
and 11.4.

The only difference I can see between 11.4 and 12.1 is that
WIRELESS_POWER is “yes” in 11.4 but “no” in 12.1.

> If that is anything byt “ifplugd”,

Sorry, I don’t understand. Was there meant to be something else?

>>
>> I tried pinging my router and got the usual initial line - “PING
>> 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data” followed by messages
>> saying that 0 bytes had been received. At this time, the Ethernet cable
>> had been detached but I hadn’t deleted the configuration in Yast. When
>> I deleted that and tried another ping, I got this message - “network is
>> unreachable.”
>
> After the “ifup wlan0” step, please post the output of
> /usr/sbin/iwconfig.

Again I’m at a bit of a loss but here’s iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:“Scarlet-Jade”
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.472 GHz Access Point:
00:13:10:53:C6:72
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:1 Missed beacon:0

>

Your mention of Network Manager earlier prompted me to give it a try.
It’s something I haven’t used for years as it wasn’t too reliable and
hasn’t been greatly recommended. Naturally, it worked perfectly - as this
post from the problem installation should demonstrate.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.1 M5 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On 09/05/2011 04:21 PM, Cloddy wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:29:59 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/2011 08:41 AM, Cloddy wrote:
>>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:31:23 +0000, Cloddy wrote:
>>>
>>>> I’ll have a go with another machine later but installing whilst having
>>>> Ethernet connection to see how that works.
>>>
>>> Done that and still no joy.
>>>
>>> I tried configuring the wireless card during installation. I was a bit
>>> surprised when I saw that fwcutter was needed but it was then
>>> installed. At one point, the command install_bcm43xx_firmware was run
>>> and a message said that the firmware had been successfully installed.
>>> I’ve no idea where it thought it had installed it as I saw b43 and
>>> b43_legacy were both empty on completion.
>>
>> Where were you looking? After running the install_bcm43xx_firmware
>> script, /lib/firmware/b43 and /lib/firmware/b43legacy must be populated.
>
> “Must be” but isn’t. I tried another install to make sure, 32-bit this
> time, just for fun. Once again the installer wanted fwcutter, nearly had
> to abort because it couldn’t find it at first, but eventually installed
> it. Then it suggested that install_bcm43xx_firmware should be run. I
> laughed but clicked OK and it immediately said the firmware had been
> installed.
>
> When installation was complete, I checked /lib/firmware/ but b43* folders
> were empty. I then ran the script and it took the usual half-a-minute to
> install the firmware. Makes the instantaneous positive message during
> installation look silly. Seems like it gives that reply regardless of
> whether the firmware was installed.
>
> I noticed this attempt to install the firmware during installation in
> earlier releases - 11.1 or 11.2? - including the misleading message as I
> recall. Then it was removed. Looks like it has been resurrected but still
> not working - at least not for me.

I’ll look into that message. Obviously, it means that fwcutter has been installed.

>
> STARTMODE in ifcfg-wlan0 (no eth0 on this machine) is “auto” in both 12.1
> and 11.4.
>
> The only difference I can see between 11.4 and 12.1 is that
> WIRELESS_POWER is “yes” in 11.4 but “no” in 12.1.
>
>> If that is anything byt “ifplugd”,
>
> Sorry, I don’t understand. Was there meant to be something else?
>

It needs to be “ifplugd”. Using “auto” is the same as “onboot” and wireless will
never work with this setting. The system thinks that the wired interface is
always available, and it never runs wireless as long as wired is available.

>
> Again I’m at a bit of a loss but here’s iwconfig:

What didn’t you understand about that?
>
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:“Scarlet-Jade”
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.472 GHz Access Point:
> 00:13:10:53:C6:72
> Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
> Encryption key:off
> Power Management:off
> Link Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:1 Missed beacon:0
>
> Your mention of Network Manager earlier prompted me to give it a try.
> It’s something I haven’t used for years as it wasn’t too reliable and
> hasn’t been greatly recommended. Naturally, it worked perfectly - as this
> post from the problem installation should demonstrate.

Getting ifup exactly right is difficult as you now know. NM is much more
forgiving as it always gets those parts right.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:48:37 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> On 09/05/2011 04:21 PM, Cloddy wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:29:59 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
>>
>> STARTMODE in ifcfg-wlan0 (no eth0 on this machine) is “auto” in both
>> 12.1 and 11.4.
>>
>>> If that is anything byt “ifplugd”,
>>
>> Sorry, I don’t understand. Was there meant to be something else?
>>
>>
> It needs to be “ifplugd”. Using “auto” is the same as “onboot” and
> wireless will never work with this setting. The system thinks that the
> wired interface is always available, and it never runs wireless as long
> as wired is available.

This is true as long as a wired interface is configured. However, if the
setting for this interface is deleted in Yast, “auto” works fine - at
least it has done until this release.

I’ll try “ifplugd” and see what happens.

>> Again I’m at a bit of a loss but here’s iwconfig:
>
> What didn’t you understand about that?

What I didn’t understand was what you meant by “After the “ifup wlan0”
step, please post the output of /usr/sbin/iwconfig.” Where is this step?

I assume you meant to finish the earlier sentence - ‘In /etc/sysconfig/
network/ifcfg-eth0, what is the STARTMODE parameter? If that is anything
byt “ifplugd”,’ - with some sort of instruction to run a script but were
interrupted midstream. I guess the step would have been associated with
that?

> Getting ifup exactly right is difficult as you now know. NM is much more
> forgiving as it always gets those parts right.

It can be a bit daunting for anyone unfamiliar with setting it up,
especially if using a fixed IP address, but I have an old check-list and
I can always crib from that or another machine if (when?) I have a senior
moment. Until M5, I’ve had little or no trouble with it.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:40:00 +0000, Cloddy wrote:

> I’ll try “ifplugd” and see what happens.

Worked on 11.4 machines but no luck on 12.1 M5.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On 09/06/2011 04:40 AM, Cloddy wrote:
>
> What I didn’t understand was what you meant by “After the “ifup wlan0”
> step, please post the output of /usr/sbin/iwconfig.” Where is this step?
>
> I assume you meant to finish the earlier sentence - ‘In /etc/sysconfig/
> network/ifcfg-eth0, what is the STARTMODE parameter? If that is anything
> byt “ifplugd”,’ - with some sort of instruction to run a script but were
> interrupted midstream. I guess the step would have been associated with
> that?

No, I meant after you enter the ifup statement. I wanted to make sure the
interface was started.

I have no idea what is wrong for you in 12.1. I used the ifup method on three
different 12.1 systems until I got nm_applet working. Two of them have Broadcom
hardware.

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:04:13 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

> On 09/06/2011 04:40 AM, Cloddy wrote:
>>
>> What I didn’t understand was what you meant by “After the “ifup wlan0”
>> step, please post the output of /usr/sbin/iwconfig.” Where is this
>> step?
>>
>> I assume you meant to finish the earlier sentence - ‘In /etc/sysconfig/
>> network/ifcfg-eth0, what is the STARTMODE parameter? If that is
>> anything byt “ifplugd”,’ - with some sort of instruction to run a
>> script but were interrupted midstream. I guess the step would have been
>> associated with that?
>
> No, I meant after you enter the ifup statement. I wanted to make sure
> the interface was started.
>
> I have no idea what is wrong for you in 12.1. I used the ifup method on
> three different 12.1 systems until I got nm_applet working. Two of them
> have Broadcom hardware.

Thanks for trying, Larry. I’ve just installed 12.1 M2 on another machine
and tested wireless communication successfully with startmode of
“ifplugd.” I then updated it from the factory-tested repos to M5.
Wireless stopped working on reboot. I’ll recheck that machine and if
nothing looks wrong I’ll repeat on this machine to see what happens.

Looking on the bright side, at least I now have a machine with 12.1 M5
that doesn’t need “nomodeset” boot parameter. :wink:


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:42:40 +0000, Cloddy wrote:

>> I have no idea what is wrong for you in 12.1. I used the ifup method on
>> three different 12.1 systems until I got nm_applet working. Two of them
>> have Broadcom hardware.
>
> Thanks for trying, Larry. I’ve just installed 12.1 M2 on another machine
> and tested wireless communication successfully with startmode of
> “ifplugd.” I then updated it from the factory-tested repos to M5.
> Wireless stopped working on reboot. I’ll recheck that machine and if
> nothing looks wrong I’ll repeat on this machine to see what happens.

I’ve installed 12.1 M2 on this machine, configured wireless with ifup
successfully, and then installed updates from the factory-tested OSS and
non-OSS repos. These updates were all downloaded via the wireless
connection as there is no wired link.

I then rebooted and GRUB menu showed it was now M5. After this reboot,
wireless had stopped working. The original settings are OK for 12.1 M2,
11.4 and numerous previous releases of openSUSE but not 12.1 M5.

I then set up Network Manager and got it to work using DHCP to control IP
address and also by using a fixed IP address. Ifup worked in neither mode.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:48:37 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

>> I noticed this attempt to install the firmware during installation in
>> earlier releases - 11.1 or 11.2? - including the misleading message as
>> I recall. Then it was removed. Looks like it has been resurrected but
>> still not working - at least not for me.
>
> I’ll look into that message. Obviously, it means that fwcutter has been
> installed.

During installation of 12.1 M2 today, I noticed that the offer to run
“install_bcm43xx_firmware” had appeared. I accepted and it immediately
gave the response that it had succeeded and the firmware had been
installed. Quite a clever trick on a machine that has no wired connection
and on which the wireless connection had yet to be configured!

I didn’t notice any attempt to install fwcutter in M2 so this might be a
new feature of the M5 installation process.


Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Getting ready to try an install on my girlfriends old hp Pavillion zv5000 it has the Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03) wireless network hardware so i found this thread before i install. Heard a lot of good things about 12.1 , Im just having the hardest time sticking with a distro. I have ubuntu 10.04 running nicely on this machine but i booted a live gnome 12.1 and it booted up preety fast! Do the forum members here think i will have problems getting the wireless working? Ill give it a shot and post my results.:\

It should work fine
b43 - Linux Wireless