broadcom 43xx wireless rejects password

Hi everyone,

I have this problem with my wifi for 2 weeks now.
It used to work great and after some updates the Network Manager keeps rejecting my wpa passwords. The wifi card is working (tested with other OS’s) and the wifi light on my HP laptop is on. I have installed broadcom drivers.

The problem is similar with this one here but changing from default kernel to desktop didn’t work in my case.

I have already read through Getting your Wireless to work and Broadcom instructions

Any ideas?

If you turn off Network Manager and using only ifup method, does wifi work? Go to YaST / Network Devices / Network Settings and answer yes, since you are using Network Manager and go back to ifup and enter your setup there. If this does work, then you just may need to delete the Network Manager files, also you need to be loading KWallet, if you are a KDE user. I have a script, that will KZAP Network Manager and KWallet settings, which may be helpful, but don’t use it if you do not use KDE and if you have other passwords in KWallet you want to keep.

knetfix - Version 1.00 -KDE KNetworkManager Fix for Wireless Connection Problems

Thank You,

Thank you very much for your help.

I will try this and report back.

Regards,
Angelos

Unfortunately this didn’t work.
Still asks for the password again and again

I am trying to upgrade my KDE to 4.5 now…

Wild guessing around:

Did you try the real WPA2 (with CCMP), too (which may as a side effect improve your security)?

Did you try for your password both
numbers (hexadecimal digits) and
a passphrase/paraphrase in plain text (ASCII)?

Could you copy and paste your wireless password to/from your router while using LAN (with wire :wink: )?

Would it make sense if you try the new Broadcom driver with a liveCD of a 11.4 milestone 4?

Have a lot of luck!
puzzled
pistazienfresser

Hi pistazienfresser,

Sorry for taking long to answer. I have been doing lots of testing about this lately.

My router has a wpa2 setup. I ve written my password both in hex and ascii. No luck.

I tried booting from a bare KDE setup I built with SUSE Studio. When I first started my laptop using this usb stick, and installed the driver, it worked! When I rebooted, still got the same problem… It must be something with the kdenetworkmanager… I also thought that the first boot was done with other kernel parameters, is this something that could make a diference?
I formated the laptop and re-installed 11.3. Now I have wireless but only with unsecured connections. With WPA it does not work.

Is there an open issue with NetworkManager and WPA?

I will now try 11.4 as you suggested.

Thanks,
Angelos

On 12/18/2010 01:06 PM, tzotsos wrote:
>
> Hi pistazienfresser,
>
> Sorry for taking long to answer. I have been doing lots of testing
> about this lately.
>
> My router has a wpa2 setup. I ve written my password both in hex and
> ascii. No luck.
>
> I tried booting from a bare KDE setup I built with SUSE Studio. When I
> first started my laptop using this usb stick, and installed the driver,
> it worked! When I rebooted, still got the same problem… It must be
> something with the kdenetworkmanager… I also thought that the first
> boot was done with other kernel parameters, is this something that could
> make a diference?
> I formated the laptop and re-installed 11.3. Now I have wireless but
> only with unsecured connections. With WPA it does not work.
>
> Is there an open issue with NetworkManager and WPA?

No. The one thing that trips up most people is that they do not use the wallet
to store the encryption secret. Look at /var/log/NetworkManager to see what
might be going wrong.