Broadcom 4312 success fimware install but no wireless

Currently i have b4fwcutter installed and ndiswrapper. I ran the install_bcm43xx_firmware script and it installed both successfully. I still cannont get wireless recognized, i am probably doing something wrong below is a few things to help diagnose my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lspci

04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4312 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
        Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>
        Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1Enable-
        Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSVoil-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSVoil-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSVoil-
                CESta:  RxErr+ BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
        Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel <?>
        Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 21-00-26-ff-ff-00-f7-a4
        Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>

I currently have the 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae kernel.

There is no output for ndiswrapper -l

Thanks[/size]

BCM4312 != BCM4312, there are tow different devices for that “name”.

Post the output of “/sbin/lspci -nn|grep -i net”.

Akoellh wrote:
> BCM4312 != BCM4312, there are tow different devices for that “name”.
>
> Post the output of “/sbin/lspci -nn|grep -i net”.

The BCM4312 802.11a/b/g uses b43. The BCM4312 802.11b/g, which is the one you
have, will not work with b43. You need to use ndiswrapper with the Windows
driver, or better the Broadcom wl driver.

I recommend that you install the appropriate broadcom-wl-xxxx package for your
kernel. If I remember correctly, you are running a -pae kernel. These packages
are on the Packman repository.

This will work,open terminal,key in this :
zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-pae.
:slight_smile:

Hello,

I’m brand new to both linux and Suse 11.1 and also having fits trying to install the drivers for my broadcom wireless modem. Apparently, broadcom has a new linux driver Broadcom Corporation - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver

However, being only a Windows user, I’m not sure how to istall the darn thing, but I’m guessing that they have saved the step of using the “ndiswrapper”, but I could be very wrong because I’m only one day old in both linux and Suse. However, if anyone figures it out, or could help me understad the read me file I’d be greatful and repay the favor to someone in the futere.

Thank you, Kevin James, SLC, Utah, USA
Email:luckykev@yahoo.com
Phone: (801) 438-3858

DISCLAIMER

This is an OFFICAL-RELEASE of Broadcom’s hybrid Linux driver for use with Broadcom
BCM4312 based hardware (device ID 4315).

IMPORTANT NOTE AND DISCUSSION OF HYBRID DRIVER

There are different tar’s for 32 bit and 64 bit x86 CPU architectures. Make sure you use the
appropriate tar, as the hybrid binary must be of the appropriate architectural type.

Otherwise the hybrid binary is agnostic to the specific version of Linux kernel
because it is designed to perform all interactions with the OS through OS specific
files (wl_linux.c, wl_iw.c) and an OS abstraction layer file (osl_linux.c).
All of these interactions are done through functions which make the hybrid binary
OS version independent. All Linux OS specific code is provided in source form
allowing re-targeting to different kernel versions and fixing OS related issues.

BUILD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

On the target machine, setup the source/hybrid/build directory

1. Create a new directory: mkdir hybrid_wl
  2. Go to that directory: cd hybrid_wl
  3. Untar the appropriate 32/64 bit file
    to that directory
    32 bit: tar -xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
    64 bit: tar -xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

After untar’ing you should have a src and lib sub directory plus a Linux
2.6 “kbuild” external makefile (Makefile). The lib sub directory has the pre-built
binary, wlc_hybrid.o_shipped.

You use the standard Linux 2.6 kernel build system as follows to make a Linux loadable
kernel module (LKM):

On the target machine, and cd’ed to the directory that contains the Makefile (fragment)

1. Cleanup (optional): make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.xx.xx>/build M=pwd clean
  2. Build the LKM, i.e. wl.ko: make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.xx.xx>/build M=pwd

You should now have a LKM, wl.ko inside this directory.

On this or a machine with the same kernel version, install the driver.

1. Validate you don’t have loaded (or built into the kernel) the Linux community provided
    driver for Broadcom hardware. This exists in two forms: either “bcm43xx” or a split form
    of “b43” plus “b43legacy”. If these modules were loaded you would either
    a) rmmod bcm43xx or
    b) rmmod b43; rmmod b43legacy
  2. Make available 802.11 TKIP crypto module: modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
  3. Insert the Broadcom wl module: insmod <path>/wl.ko

Some kernel come with pre-installed Broadcom driver that support Broadcom 4312 family of
PCIE cards. If the kernel support one of those pre-installed driver, you must remove it
in order to install the new driver. Some of existing driver provided by the Linux community that
supports Broadcom hardware are b43/b43legacy/bcm43xx. There is also a ssb driver that is loaded
along with b43. This ssb driver also must to be remove.

If the kernel supports blacklist, you can add those drivers to the blacklist file so that it will
not be loaded on next reboot.

See here PackMan :: Package details for broadcom-wl select the one which corresponds to your system

Andy

Andy, I’m thanking you from my wireless 802.11G, many thanks. I was fearful to dump Vista, but I’m loving Linux and your community, you are too cool!

Excellent, glad you’re sorted.Now enjoy :slight_smile:

Andy

hi, I am a newbie to Linus, I recently installed SUSE 11.1 and finally got my WiFI (apparently i have the broadcom 4312 b/g card) working by installing a PackMan wl package from one of the sites. Later I had some problem with my SUSE and I updated it using SUSE CD. Now I am unable to install the packman package as it fails everytime i try to install. Please help me with this.

Thanks,

Depends on what it fails on. Would it be possible for you to post the error messages ? copy/paste or take a screenshot & paste it here.

Andy