Broadcom 4310 on XPS M1330

Hello everyone,

Firstly, many thanks for assisting each other. As a Suse user on desktops my laptop (Dell XPS M1330 64 bit) gave me a surprise with the broadcom chipset which I haven’t managed to control so far. So here are the data and if anyone has a good idea I would appreciate it if he could let me know where is the trick…

lspci -nn | grep Broadcom (among others gives)
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

The posts led me think that the problematic 4310 chipset could be handled only by ndiswrapper. The vista driver (dual boot system)is given as bcmwl664.sys (64 bit machine) however my initial efforts to use it with the fwcutter failed. Installed the bcmlw5 but no luck with its configuration. Any quick step-by-step suggestion would be greatly appreciated as I should be missing small (yet crucial) steps.

regards, Alex

ndiswrapper is the way to go for this device, use the winxp driver not vista,as it doesn’t work with ndiswrapper

Andy

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I think I would further need your help to point me to a winxp 64 bit driver - unless there is a mistake in my understanding of using the inf files and the ndiswrapper. I would kindly ask you to review the steps I followed and raise a flag if you think I missed something:

From the start I detected the 4310 chipset:

lspci | grep Broadcom
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

Downloaded the http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/Dell_multi-device_A17_R17_4291.exe, extracted it, installed the “inf” driver found therein assuming this was the 64 bit one. Note that the ndiswrapper handles only “inf” files. Is this ok so far?

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf (gave the installation)

which was then confirmed with

ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4315) present

But
dmesg|grep ndiswrapper (warned that driver was not 64 bit!)

ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:150): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:210): couldn’t prepare driver ‘bcmwl5’
ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:112): couldn’t load driver bcmwl5; check system log for messages from ‘loadndisdriver’
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

Once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards, Alex

Same problem here.

I read the sticky topic in wireless section and I followed steps one and two. These are the results:

06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

06:00.0 0280: 14e4:4315 (rev 01)

Unfortunately the “dmesg |less” part didn’t work for me. I couldn’t find any signs of wireless there. So the firmware is missing. What should I do now? I tried ndiswrapper(win xp driver), but with no success. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.

Are you certain that you have used the xp64 version of the driver? There is nothing on Dell’s website that suggests they are using 64bit windows. You would need to remove the 32bit driver and install the 64bit version.

Very close…but one part of your understanding is mistaken. It is true that
ndiswrapper needs the .INF file to guide the install. But, more importantly, it also needs other files,
most important of which is the .SYS file (and sometimes others).

But, I read elsewhere that for these BROADCOM drivers, the needed files are:
(bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl564.sys) for 64-bit installation. What might be
happening is that if the other (32-bit) .SYS file is visible, then it is grabbing that
instead of the 64-bit version.

So, try creating a directory in your home-dir-tree containing just these two files
and then remove your existing driver
‘ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5’
and then re-do the
‘ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf’

Also, there are two or three DIFFERENT subdirectories containing these same file
names (when I tried extracting your downloaded file). So, repeat as needed using
the 2 files from each of those areas.

Thank you for the tip. This was exactly the problem.

The correct files are the ones you mentioned above but when the 32bit driver is still in the same directory it messes up everything. Follwoing your help I happily saw the wifi light coming up.

Once again your help is very appreciated.

Regards
:slight_smile: