Bootup stops

Hello everyone,

I have a dual boot XP/Suse and since a few days I can’t start up Suse. This is what hapens:

Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800BB-75CAA0_WD-WMA8E 3917439-part 6.
Want me to fall back Y/n, than I answer with Y and this shows up:
waiting to appear…not found – exiting to /bin/sh.

HELP!! What can I do?

GreetZ G

Boot into Suse using the install dvd and reinstall a new Grub. Have a look here:
Boot the installed system from the Installation DVD [except for 11.0]

Then you can goto Yast → system → bootloader and do this:

The Grub configuration screen comes up with the Tab “Section Management” activated. In the lower right is a drop-down selector labelled “Other”. Select from “Other” the option “Propose New Configuration” and then wait for Grub to analyse your partitions and display a new configuration. This may take a while. Important: When that finishes, activate the tab labelled “Boot Loader Installation” and select to “Boot from the Master Boot Record”. [Yast will often default to booting from the root or boot partition rather than from the MBR but that’s for experts only – always choose the MBR.] Then click Finish to save the changes and install the reconfigured Grub into the hard drive’s MBR. If you get a message that "The bootloader boot sector will be written to a floppy disk … don’t bother with the floppy – just click OK to proceed and install to the MBR.

The quote is from here:
GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.

Hello Swerdna,

I tried everything you replied but still no Suse, the error I get is:
VFS: Cannot open root device “<NULL>” or unknown-block (8,9)

I tried to repair the bootgrub with the suse 11.1 DVD option Install and with the option repair, both ended in the same message I saw in the beginning. With this extra error. Also my windows XP is gone in the Grub…HELP!!!:(:(:frowning:

GreetZ G

Is your hard drive broken? Sounds like it can’t find the partition. When you did the reinstall for Grub the windows entry disapeared. Can it also not find this?

Is your hard drive still detected when you start your PC? Check the BIOS screen when it detects the drives for that Western Digital 80Gb(Just a guess) hard drive.

This error message:

VFS: Cannot open root device “<NULL>” or unknown-block (8,9)

There’s more of it and that has clues in it. Can you tell me more of the error message and tell me when it occurs, tell me the circumstances.