booting external hdd

My old GoBook IX250 won’t provide option of booting from any external sources (hdd, flash drive, etc.), but I would think there should be some editing done to end of the boot fs on internal hard drive which would instruct the boot loader to allow choice of OS on external hard drive for booting – have no idea just what should write there to obtain this result; any suggestions greatly appreciated.

On 2010-08-18 01:06, esperanto-2000 wrote:
>
> My old GoBook IX250 won’t provide option of booting from any external
> sources (hdd, flash drive, etc.), but I would think there should be some
> editing done to end of the boot fs on internal hard drive which would
> instruct the boot loader to allow choice of OS on external hard drive
> for booting – have no idea just what should write there to obtain this
> result; any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If grub sees the disk, then yes, you can.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Hi,
You need to change your boot preferences in the BIOS, watch your boot screens lower left corner normally you’ll see a line
“Press Del to enter setup” The hot key will vary by manufacturer, common keys are F-1, F-2, Del,

I have a pretty good writeup if you CAN boot from an external drive on how to do that at the following thread:

Dual Booting with openSUSE on an external HDD and other OS’s on an internal HDD

However, even when you boot from an internal hard drive, you can load openSUSE from an external hard drive. You must load the grub boot loader into the MBR (Master Boot Record) for this function to work properly (loading openSUSE from an external drive) when you can only boot from an internal hard drive, if that is really true.

Thank You,

You would probably want a boot partition on the internal drive also so it would boot if the external drive were not connected.

gogalthorp You would probably want a boot partition on the internal drive also so it would boot if the external drive were not connected.
Ah, but gogalthorp, that is the beauty of loading EVERYTHING for openSUSE on an external USB hard drive. If we can assume your laptop was able to boot something from its internal hard drive to begin with, it will still be working after you completely load openSUSE and its boot loader on an external hard drive. This is what I do with my Work Laptop so that nothing about works files or OS’ is modified in any way to use openSUSE or any of my multimedia files, all loaded on an external USB hard drive.

Thank You,