Boot-up | Nvidia Beta Drivers

Ok, I’m going to explain this as well as I can. Everything is working great. I have installed the newest Nvidia BETA drivers (180.x…) and I can play games, desktop fx etc., everything works. The only thing that’s not working is the proper bootup splash. So I boot up, nvidia logo sometimes shows for a split second like it should, I log-in and bam, distorted image of some of the windows I had up last time are all over the place. Then it switches to the normal tiny bar for a few seconds, then bam, again, a distorted image just like the last one, then it loads the last bit and everything works great. It’s not really a “problem”, but it’s quite unpleasant to look at.

I think I understand what you’re talking about; basically, X “barfs” previous images on the screen when transitioning from login to desktop, right?

I had a similar problem when I started using the 180.x beta drivers, I even posted a note about it in the nvidia forums, and turns out I wasn’t the only one. It’s a beta driver, so nvidia is naturally silent on addressing issues like that.

FWIW, the problem disappeared when I switched to KDE 4.2, from 4.1.3, so I suspect it may have been related to the display manager. Not sure if you’re using KDE or not, though.

Anyways, this probably doesn’t help, but just confirming that you may not be alone with the problem…

Cheers,
KV

I am indeed using KDE and I will do the same thing you did. Thanks! :slight_smile: