Boot reeeeeallllyyyy slow after removing unwanted partition

Hello people, I was removing an unwanted partition the other day and when I restarted, booting up was really slow. Hibernation is disabled (when I type in s2disk into the terminal as well it says cannot locate memory) as well.

I believe that the problem is the swap, since when I deleted the partition GParted said that I’d have to unmount the swap partition (the partition number was higher than the one to be deleted). Somehow this blocked the swap partition automatically starting up upon boot.

Another reason is that on the day I deleted the partition there was a kernel update after I deleted it. I don’t know - but this somehow may of borked up
something.

Solutions please?

You post is realy missing any amouunt of information whatsoever, except that “something is wrong”.

What level of openSUSE?

What was the partitioning and the use of the partitions before you removed the “unwanted” one and which one was the “unwanted one”? And giving us an idea about why you did not “want it” might be also of ineterest to let us follow your strain of thought and the actions that did to achieve that.

What is the partitioning now?

fdisk -l

What is the contents of your fstab?

cat /etc/fstab

And what is mounted atm?

mount

And please show computer output as much as possible and not stories. And psot commputer output between CODE tags: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html

Post result of

cat /etc/fstab
su -
fdisk -l

still as su -

cat /boot/grub/device.map

Yes. openSUSE mounts partitions by disk ID and partition numbers by default. A better default would by UUID, which is written is the partition superblock and never changes (unless you reformat the partition). If you remove/add a partition in the middle under openSUSE, you get this kind of problem. The solution is to edit /etc/fstab and /etc/sysconfig/bootloader. Don’t forget the latter or you will have the problem again after a kernel update. A better approach is to use UUIDs or labels in /etc/fstab (and /etc/sysconfig/bootloader).

But what should I add?

I’ll also post results of all 3 things here as well:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9500420AS_5VJ97P98-part1 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9500420AS_5VJ97P98-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

(you’ll notice that the swap is mounted but that is because I mounted it myself)
fdisk result:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x499904f7

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048   515330047   257664000   83  Linux
/dev/sda3       515332094   976771071   230719489    5  Extended
/dev/sda5       960036864   976771071     8367104   82  Linux swap / Solaris

device.map result:

(hd0)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9500420AS_5VJ97P98

Execute the following commands in a terminal:

su -l
cp /etc/fstab{,.isl}
cp /etc/sysconfig/bootloader{,.isl}
sed -i 's|part6|part5|' /etc/fstab
sed -i 's|part6|part5|' /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

It will replace part6 with part5 in /etc/fstab and /etc/sysconfig/bootloader and fix the problem. Of course you can open these files as root and edit them if you prefer. /etc/fstab.isl and /ets/sysconfig/bootloader.isl here are backup copies that you can delete later.

You talk nonsense. One does not mount swap. And /etc/fstab does not show what the situation on your system is, it shows what should be done on boot. When you want to see what is used as swap, you do

swapon -s

In /etc/fstab is shows that on boot /dev/sda6 must be used for swap. But the fdisk shows that /dev/sda5 is the only Swap partition. Thus you should change the part6 in part5 in that line in* /etc/fstab*.

And you did not post the output of mount and you did not explain what you (thought you) had before removing that unwanted partition and why you thought it was unwanted and what you did then. I do not know if I can answer any more when you do not provide what I ask for, or at least explain why you do not provide it.

And next time please do copy computer text as above including the command you gave, thus we can see what you did. Like:

boven:~ # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDT725032VLA380_VFJ201R23XUEXW-part2 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDT725032VLA380_VFJ201R23XUEXW-part3 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDT725032VLA380_VFJ201R23XUEXW-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDT725032VLA380_VFJ201R23XUEXW-part5 /mnt/B                    ext4       ro,acl,user_xattr        0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDT725032VLA380_VFJ201R23XUEXW-part6 /mnt/B/home                ext4       ro,acl,user_xattr        0 0
boven:~ #

On 02/04/2012 01:46 PM, please try again wrote:
>
> cp /etc/fstab{,.isl}
> cp /etc/sysconfig/bootloader{,.isl}

hmmm… “.isl” ??
isolated
island
Inno Setup List
InstallShield Pro Log

islandape’s backup file? that will be instantly recognized for what it
is when someone here or elsewhere see it…not.

DD
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

**fdisk -l **did.

The swap partition in /etc/fstab is wrong.

Correct.

I’ve done that and I’ll restart and tell you the results later when my other Ubuntu computer is near me, so I can start again if there are any explosions from the computer I am typing from right now.

Huzzah! Booting up is now back to normal speeds.

Good to know you were taken care of with success :smiley: