Boot Loader Issue

Yesterday I installed 11.1 on my laptop and everything went smoothly. Today I modified the boot loader via Yast to have it boot to my Windows partition however now when it comes up the boot loader doesnt get past the flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. Any suggestions on a fix or how can I reconfigure it back so that everything works correctly?

Do you have the LiveCD or the DVD?

The Live CD - I just did an over the top install and reconfigured it back and its good but that is odd what it did.

Glad it’s resolved. Perhaps the modification you did in YaST Boot Loader inadvertently caused the problem - do you recall exactly what you did?

I have the exact same problem.

Installation is going smooth. Once I change the boot options ( a simple name change ) I get stuck at boot, before the grub screen comes up.

Rescue disk detects problems with grub, fixes it, only to find the same problem right again.

This is reproducible on my hp2133. The only way to fix this is a fresh install, everything else fails.

I don’t know if it makes a difference but I install from USB. I am on my 4’th install.

cat /etc/grub.conf
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0,2) (hd0,5)
quit

cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd1) /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_4317100CA601E1C3-0:0
(hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS722012K9A300_080615DP1371DHGNLPJT

I figured out how to fix this.

Follow the instructions at
Repair your GRUB loader « Ramblings of a mad man

In my case:

grub

grub> root (hd0,5)
grub> setup (hd0)
grup> quit

reboot

Can we make this info sticky? This seems to be a problem with grub if you’re not booting from (hd0,0) I.e. sda1

Hmmm . . . not so. It really doesn’t matter, as long as the mechanics of the setup are correct. Initially, your grub stage1 was installed to the partition boot sector on sda3 pointing to find its stage2 on sda6. That only works if the sda3 grub is being chainloaded by another loader, or if sda3 is an active primary and there is generic/Windows boot code in the MBR. Why it was installed that way, I can’t say without looking at other data. What you did from the grub shell is install grub’s stage1 to the MBR with an embedded pointer to find its stage2 located on sda6; this is the default installation setup.

Thank you, this is helpful information.

However using grub through Yast has caused something to change such that my Netbook did not boot anymore.

I found at least one more request regarding this same issue here today without a resolution besides a new install.

It took me two days to finally figure out how to recover (without reinstall) because the “System Recovery” was unable to fix it.

I would think that this should be easier to find for people in need :slight_smile:

Hey, at least I learned a lot about grub :wink:

Thx again,

Varol

Sorry to hear about your problem. I only recommend using the Repair System Bootloader module when there is nothing else to use. I have found it to be unreliable at times. Besides, it is much better to install grub directly from the shell, as you did - that way you can see exactly what it did (from the setup command). The only caveat is that the user needs to understand the basics of how grub and multi-booting works - or at least get good advice. Again, congrats on your solution. :slight_smile:

There are Bug reports filed for the GNOME LiveCD Partitioner and GRUB installation for the HP2133. If you guys can figure out a way to get this done, then you might post your results on the appropriate bug reports.

I would suggest the following alternatives:

If you have fast enough Internet, the NET install has been successfully used on an HP2133.

The KDE4 LiveCD seems to be a bit more stable for installing. However, I do not know of a successful install to the HP2133 specifically. But if you can get that installation done, then it should be reasonably easy to convert to GNOME (if you want to do so).

That is all I can say for now.

I am also having a really annoying problem with 11.1 booting. I am just about ready to throw Linux against the wall, as my upgrade to 11.1 from 11.0 has been nothing short of two days of hell. I am running the OS on an HP Pavilion xf328, with 512mb RAM, 60gb hard disk, and AMD Athlon 1.5ghz processor. Both 11.0 and 11.1 were downloaded as ISOs, and burned to DVD. Both DVDs tested with no problem.

The issue is that the boot process fails miserably. Attempts to repair the system, whether it be automatic, or expert, all find and fix the same problem, only to incur them again during the next reboot. WHAT IS GOING ON? I had really hoped for this to be an alternative to Windows, but this is not looking good at all. I have performed complete format and reinstalls of linux at leat three times already over the past two days.

I am currently at the point where the system presents the following question:
“Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_hITACHI_hts5412_hp0200BBG4A7BA-part2? (Y/n)”

Please advise.

In addition to the above information,
after every attempt to repair the installation, I am also met with the following just before the system restarts:

“Linuxrc v3.3.22 (Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default)
An error occurred during the installation.”

@rkahn2007 -

Sorry to learn of your frustrations. Can you boot into openSUSE now at all? I see you have the DVD; would you be willing to run a few commands from its Rescue System and post the output back here? Btw, do you also have a LiveCD that can connect to the net?

Thanks for your reply. I was not able to boot into Suse at all. I have begun the reinstallation of 11.0, formatting existing partitions (, \home), and am now stuck at 96% Deploying image KDE, and 72% Deploying Images. I will post back after re-establishing a working system so that I can upgrade to 11.1.>:(

I have a Gateway Notebook that has an OEM pre-install of Windows XP Media Center Edition. While trying to install 11.1, I lost an install of Windows that I had been using since 2006 that had survived countless installs of OpenSuse 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. and 11.

Something is seriously wrong with the bootloader installation in 11.1, and I tried every way I could think of to fix it using the repair tools on the Suse install disc, but none of them worked.

What I finally ended up doing was reinstalling Windows on a 20 gig primary partition, and then once in Windows I created a large extended partition with the rest of the hard drive.

Then I installed OpenSuse 11 using half of the extended partition. This way I got a working bootloader.

Then I installed OpenSuse 11.1 on the rest of the space left in the extended partition, and at this point 11.1 finally booted correctly. YMMV.

What was happening was, I would install 11.1 and everything seemed to go well, and I could log into my account and I thought I had a successful install. But then, when I rebooted for the first time, I had no bootloader, and I would get a message saying “No Operating System Found”. Onne of the times, I even went into YAST to check bootloader configuration, and it said my configuration was good.

When this happened in the past, I would insert my DOS rescue disk and format the master boot record using the command

fdisk/mbr

This used to allow me to at least boot into Windows. However, this no longer works in 11.1, and as I mentioned earlier, the rescue tools on the 11.1 disk were worthless to fix the problem.

So my suggestion would be to install OpenSuse 11 first, leaving some space on the disk for OpenSuse 11.1, and then install 11.1 on another partition. This should give you a working bootloader.

@foresthill -

Bummer. If the message was “no operating system found” (as opposed to “missing operating system”) that message is thrown by the bios when the MBR is missing executable boot code (the IPL). Next time, I would be happy to look at the contents of the MBR, the PBR, how grub was instructed to be installed (YaST simply feeds the grub shell a script; it is at /etc/grub.conf), or the Windows boot control files too, if necessary.

Regarding using DOS fdisk /mbr - be cautious. There is a mistaken assumption that DOS fdisk /mbr and the XP Recovery Console’s fixmbr are identical. They are not. From MS: “It (fdisk /mbr) can also cause problems for some dual-boot programs and disks with more than four partitions. Additional partition information is commonly stored information on partitions in an area that the fdisk /mbr command overwrites.”

Ok, after the umpteenth reinstallation of 11.0, I was able to successfully update to 11.1. Although I still incurred a couple of instances during the update where some rpms did not install, 11.1 is running, and has updates applied to it. In review of this, I believe a mistake may have been made with the filesystem selection during the update. This time around, I selected the ext3 filesystem, instead of he Reiser, for the initial 11.0 install, and maintained ext3 during the update. I do remember that the Ext3 FS was the default during my first attempt at updating to 11.1, and changing this to the already present Reiser may have caused the initial problem. So far so good, I am now back on my honeymoon with Suse.

Sounds like you found the problem. My compliments for your patience and perseverance! :slight_smile: