Blow away my Vista partition -- likely pitfalls?

I got this laptop as a birthday present in August.

The first thing I did with it was shrink the Vista partition and install Ubuntu in the free space after.

I’ve since deleted the Ubuntu partitions to install openSUSE in the free space after.

I was reluctant to blow away the default Vista install due to a “just in case” feeling. But, the truth is that I haven’t booted into it at all except initially to blow away all the “trial editions” and other crap + set up my A/V.

So, even though I shrunk it to 40GB, it’s 40GB that is just sitting there doing me no good.

If I blow it away and expand/move my openSUSE partitions to fill that space, is it going to change the partition numbering such that GRUB or something I’m not aware of which might explicitly reference sda5 (for example) is going to fail to work?

I’ve fiddled with GRUB problems before, so it it’s just a matter of correcting a reference I think I could smell my way through it again, but I wasn’t sure if there would be some other nonobvious problem.

Thanks!

It would be better if you could decide NOW if you need Vista or NOT.

You didn’t say, how much space you actually have and or need. But that’s kinda up to you.

I would have thought it advantageous to have Vista if you can. I too have it on my Laptop, removed it, then re-installed it. But I never use it.
Suse is so much better.

If you have an install disk for Vista? You can always put it back if you do decide to remove it.

Well, I could offload various media files to another computer in the house without too much trouble, and the space I have for openSUSE is not yet full. But that 40GB partition seems too much space to just forget about for an OS I’ll never boot into.

My discomfort isn’t with kicking Vista to the curb – I can do the few things I need Windows for from within a VM.

I just want an idea whether I’m going to screw up my ability to boot openSUSE by removing the first partition on the drive (my windows partition).

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

If you blow it away, and it’s first (likely is) and you don’t replace it
with something else, it could cause a problem, sure. I’d probably just
delete it with the Yast or fdisk tools and make it into a data partition
for use wherever, unless you can merge it with another partition (if
you’re using LVM or something like that).

Good luck.

converted wrote:
> I got this laptop as a birthday present in August.
>
> The first thing I did with it was shrink the Vista partition and
> install Ubuntu in the free space after.
>
> I’ve since deleted the Ubuntu partitions to install openSUSE in the
> free space after.
>
> I was reluctant to blow away the default Vista install due to a “just
> in case” feeling. But, the truth is that I haven’t booted into it at
> all except initially to blow away all the “trial editions” and other
> crap + set up my A/V.
>
> So, even though I shrunk it to 40GB, it’s 40GB that is just sitting
> there doing me no good.
>
> If I blow it away and expand/move my openSUSE partitions to fill that
> space, is it going to change the partition numbering such that GRUB or
> -something I’m not aware of- which might explicitly reference sda5 (for
> example) is going to fail to work?
>
> I’ve fiddled with GRUB problems before, so it it’s just a matter of
> correcting a reference I think I could smell my way through it again,
> but I wasn’t sure if there would be some other nonobvious problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFJGwcB3s42bA80+9kRAlkZAJ4+El8vqnPim/xtGk9owDUAzygjQgCgg7Pq
uRLv9/OitlFsFvUjwTOjxB0=
=HzPJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Yes, so maybe you should just format to Linux (e.g. ext3) for step 1, then maybe move /home onto it, and maybe blow away the old /home partition. One thing to think about is that if you’re going to run vista in a VM, you’ll need maybe 15Gb+ somewhere for the virtual C: drive. So many possibilities, why don’t you post the partitioning from this command:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

and the usage from this command:

df -Th

It would help if you said what you wanted in the perfect world to have in terms of operating systems and storage on the drive/s. We could make some suggestions about how to get it done.

Unless you need the space, I wouldn’t do anything with the partition. You could always use a testing partition prior to blowing away your current install (also helps in migrating).

File system support for ntfs is quite good in linux. You can use the partition as it is currently configured for extra storage until you decide what to do with the partition.

personaly i would keep it you might like to play some games that are only DX10 at the moment cedega and Wine only support DX9
so most games will work just like thy do in my XP install but sooner or later some games are only going to be DX 10
and i hope people will pettision and pay for DX10 support in Wine and Cedega

I’ve been using 10GB dynamic disks in VirtualBox, and have so far not grown my XP vdi past about 4GB, but you’ve got a good point and I’ll keep that in mind nonetheless.

I’m starting to feel kinda silly, since the responses here make it clear that the assumption is that I am really pinched for space. (And I do greatly appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts!) I’m not pinched for space; if /home would fill up I have other storage options available. it’s just that the unused partition is becoming an itch that I’m having a hard time not scratching. :wink:

To your last question, in a perfect world I’d wipe the whole thing and reinstall openSUSE using the entire drive, with /home sized appropriately – ultimately what I’m trying to achieve here is the same end result without the reinstall of openSUSE.

The “format it and use it as storage” suggestions are a pretty good idea, so if it looks like “scratching my itch” is going to be a big old hassle, that’s what I’ll do.

Everything after 5143 was created as free space by a GParted LiveCD prior to openSUSE installation, with partitioning automatically done by openSUSE installer.

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        5143    41311116    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            5144       30401   202884885    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5            5144        5405     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6            5406        8016    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/sda7            8017       30401   179807481   83  Linux

Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6     ext3     20G  4.7G   15G  25% /
udev         tmpfs    1.5G  128K  1.5G   1% /dev
/dev/sda7     ext3    169G  118G   43G  74% /home
/dev/sda1  fuseblk     40G   31G  9.0G  78% /windows/C

Thanks!