Blank Screen On Logout Or (Ctrl + Alt + BckSpc)

Hello all,

I have open suse 11.1, KDE 4.1, and an ATI Card. (Vaio FW).

After installing the ati driver, everything works correctly, except that the logout function does not work.

The problem is caused by the X server not restarting. Once the logout button is pressed the system gets a blank screen and the system freezes.

Any help on how to solve this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks.

did you run sax2 -r as root to reconfigure your computer? Also, are you sure your computer is freezing? Can you switch virtual terminals? (CTRL+ALT+Fn where n is 1 to 7, 7 being your X desktop)
Have you checked your system logs for errors? My computer goes blank all the time, but I just change to another virtual terminal and back again once or twice, then its ok. Also, which driver are you using? Did you install a proprietary driver? Do you have an onboard graphics card that is still active? You really haven’t given enough information for clear and concise help, but maybe you can figure something out with what I’ve given you. Oh, and when you do get it fixed, don’t forget to post what the fix was, so the next person who gets a blank screen after installing an ati card can benefit from your troubles. Good luck.