Blank Screen after Booting

Hi All,
I tried to boot the live gnome version of opensuse 12.1 in my Acer Aspire 4736 laptop, but soon after the boot screen is displayed the display goes blank. I have been facing this issue from version 11.4 and due to same reason i am not able to use any version beyond 11.3. I could find that this issue is there with almost all the latest distro’s. I am able to load the OS with the kernel parameter nomodeset but that screws up the resolution and looking at the screen in such a resolution is a real pain. I searched a lot on the net but could not find a proper solution apart from setting up nomodeset, which i dont think is a good solution. Could someone help me out else i will have to forget using any versions beyond 11.3 :frowning: Please note that the laptop is having Intel GMA 4500MHD Graphics. Thanks

So is it not possible to have the proper drivers for Intel GMA 4500MHD? Someone please help me.

Hi,

this is most probably a problem with the video driver.

try installing the intel driver.
See here:

openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users (post nbr 4).

HTH

Lenwolf

Thanks for the link Lenwolf, but it didnt work. I took the configuration for 50-device.conf from my opensuse 11.2 installation and tried it but it didnt work. Still I need to boot with nomodeset and the resolution is really low. Is there any other solution? Thanks

Now the situation is like i lost my 11.2 CD and i am not able to fix the issue with 12.1. It seems like linux wont work in laptops with GMA 4500MHD graphics. My only option now is to move to windows :frowning:

I wonder if the issue you’re experiencing is with the backlight as described here

Intel GMA - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Can you start in failsafe mode ok? Or does this also produce a dark screen?

I note that one solution suggested is to add this kernel boot option

A second solution seems to be to add "acpi_osi=Linux" kernel parameter at boot.

You could try this at the grub prompt. If this works, we can make it permanent.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’m having a same or similar problem with the Intel 4500 MHD graphics on my notebook running Suse 11.4. Back light does not turn on after initial install, so system is unusable.

I can get to the desktop by adding “acpi_backlight-vendor” to grub options at the boot up menu screen, but after that is where I got stuck.

Been running Ubuntu for the past couple of years, and I used this permanent fix / workaround to get the back light to come on each time I boot up:

Create a script to set the brightness to your liking. In /usr/local/bin create a file called set-brightness:

user@hostname ~ $ gksu gedit /usr/local/bin/set-brightness

and make it look like this:

#!/bin/sh -e

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=60

exit 0

You can change the 60 on line 3 to any hexadecimal value between 00 (full brightness) and FF (full darkness). 60 equates to 62.5% brightness, which I find easier on my eyes in a darker environment. If you prefer full brightness, then use:

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

Make sure to make /usr/local/bin/set-brightness executable:

user@hostname ~ $ sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/set-brightness

Test the script to make sure it works:

user@hostname ~ $ sudo set-brightness

You can change the value for brightness used in set-brightness, save the file and re-run the script to tweak the brightness to the level you prefer.

To set the backlight on boot edit /etc/rc.local:

user@hostname ~ $ gksu gedit /etc/rc.local

Add a line:

/usr/local/bin/set-brightness

before

exit 0

and save the file. This takes care of setting the backlight at the login screen.

What I am currently trying to do is get this same fix to work in OpenSuse, but unfortunately, the file system is slightly different, so consequently, the above commands don’t work like they do in Ubuntu. But I assume that the basic principle ought to be the same, so if anyone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: During my search for a fix, I found a new Intel graphics driver for the 4500 that someone at one of the bug report sites had developed to fix the back light issue. My understanding was that this was a kernel problem rather than a driver problem, but does anyone have any info on this fix and whether it works?

Anyone care to take a stab at this? It’s a little hard to use an OS without the backlight turning on.

Am 11.08.2012 20:56, schrieb foresthill:
>
> Anyone care to take a stab at this? It’s a little hard to use an OS
> without the backlight turning on.
>
>
Blind shot:

replace the gksu with gnomesu if you are using gnome, if you are using
KDE replace the gksu with kdesu and the gedit with kwrite, the rest
remains the same except that you will add your command to
/etc/init.d/boot.local
instead of /etc/rc.local
I would also use the full path when adding the command into your script
/sbin/setpci instead of simply setpci just to be sure.

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.5 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Martin, sir, you are a genius!!! It worked like a charm!

I know there are, or were, a lot of other people having this exact same problem trying to get Intel 4500 HD graphics to work on their laptops with these last few kernels that have been released. It’s been a long 18 months for me fighting with this problem, and you have no idea what a relief it is to be able to use this laptop with Linux again. It wasn’t cheap and it’s got a nice big 17" screen.

Thanks again sir, and I will try to repay the favor by helping someone else out like you did for me. Cheers!

Glad to hear it works, it was really just an educated guess translating
your description literally into what openSUSE uses.
Maybe future versions will work better for you out of the box, you could
try with a live cd without risk when you feel adventurous enough to give
it a try :slight_smile:

eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.1

On 08/11/2012 10:46 PM, foresthill wrote:
> and I will try to repay the favor by helping someone
> else out like you did for me.

how about putting a cleaned up (works for openSUSE) version of that gem
into our how-to forum, http://tinyurl.com/5v6ssca

think carefully about the wording of the subject…

dd

OK, done. Hope this helps someone, this bug has been ongoing for the past 18 months or so, at least in Ubuntu. Lots of folks probably just gave up at some point.

Am 12.08.2012 04:36, schrieb foresthill:
>
> OK, done. Hope this helps someone, this bug has been ongoing for the
> past 18 months or so, at least in Ubuntu. Lots of folks probably just
> gave up at some point.
>
Most probably a kernel bug (just a feeling don’t sue me if I am wrong),
which kernel are you running right now?

uname -a

Right at this moment I’m on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and the kernel is 2.6.32-42. This version is unaffected by the black screen bug. It also uses the older version of the Gnome desktop that I prefer, and 98% of installed programs work like they’re supposed to, which is also a big plus.

But on this same multi-boot notebook I also have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which is running 3.2.0-27, 3.2.0-26, and 3.2.0-25, all of which are affected. I also have OpenSuse 12.1 running 3.1.0-1.2, which is also (obviously) affected. Basically, I have had this backlight problem with all Linux OS’es running the 3.xxx kernels. I keep hoping it’ll get fixed in later kernel releases, but nothing has been done so far of which I’m aware, not even any official patches.

As a side note, after I got OpenSuse 12.1 working, I went to get updates, and discovered there there are 1.5 Gb’s worth of of them. Since I live in the rural US, without any broadband service available other than 3G CDMA Wireless Service through Virgin Mobile, that’s capped at 5 Gb per month and would take a couple days to download that much data, I’m unfortunately going to have to stick with Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 for the foreseeable future. :frowning:

I just wanted to understand if you have tested an even newer kernel
until now. There were a bunch of improvements for intel graphics in
kernel 3.4/3.5 and it is easy for you to check if that improves the
situation by downloading one of the live cd’s for the openSUSE 12.2
release candidate and just boot from it if that shows the problem (it
does not change anything on your system).
I think it is worth trying that to see if you can get rid of that
problem in the near future with newer kernels or if that problem is
still there.
http://software.opensuse.org/developer/en
for example the Gnome live cd.