Blank black windows in YaST

I recently upgraded a 10.3 system to 11.4 and all seemed well.
The next day that I used the machine I tried going into a couple of YaST processes (software management, repositories etc.) and the YaST windows opened but simply presented a blank, black window. In frustration I rebooted, tried the same peocesses again and all was OK.
HOWEVER I am again getting these blank, black windows. Any idea why??? :\

Regards
Geoff

Most likely because a leap from 10.3 to 11.4 is simply too far (But others might be able to help you fix it).

At least as long as you do not explain what you mean technicaly with “upgrade”, we realy do not know what you did. Never forget that there are often many ways to do things and also that using a common English word like “upgrade” does only very vague say something like “a walked some path going in a further undefined way from one situation to the other”. I won’t even give you a list of possibilities to go from 10.3 to 11.4 to let you choose what you did, because there are to many (right and wrong ones).

On 2011-10-07 13:46, Tradewind25 wrote:
>
> I recently upgraded a 10.3 system to 11.4 and all seemed well.

By what method?


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

It might be a problem of the graphics driver or desktop effect compositor. It also has happend to me like a month ago (however, it was in Factory/12.1).

For me it helped to temporarily disable the desktop effects by pressing Shift-Alt-F12 in KDE.

Not sure if it will help you, but just try it…

You can also try starting yast from the command-line, to see what errors
it produces, if any.

To those who asked who I completed the upgrade: I simply:
a) downloaded the 11.4 .iso and burned to a DVD
b) booted from the DVD
c) the install process noted that I already had 10.3 installed and offered me the option to “upgrade”.

Sorry if this seems too simplistic but I am pretty new to OpenSUSE and was helping a friend to update an old machine of his.

As I mentioned, this does not happen everything I use Yast, and a reboot typically resolves the issue.

Thanks for the information.

Most people here will not recommend such an “upgrade” as offered by the CD while skipping so many levels (11.1, 11.2, 11.3). In that case most people here will tell you to do a fresh install while keeping your /home partition (I hope you have such a thing, else back all in /home and restore after install, and create a seperate /home on that new install while you are at it).

Please do NOT read in the above that the way you went to 11.4 is the cause of your problem. I do not think it allready time to adviise you to do a reinstall. The more while you say that it does not happen allways and that when it happens, after a reboot, it is gone. You will be aware of the fact that those prblems that go and come seemingly at their own will are amongst the difficult ones to solve.

I, like you, am curious what others here think of your situation :wink:

I also would like to repeat what djh-novell said. When you have the problem, kill the window, start a terminal as root and type

yast

to see what happens and if it shows errors.

On 2011-10-09 15:56, Tradewind25 wrote:
>
> To those who asked who I completed the upgrade: I simply:
> a) downloaded the 11.4 .iso and burned to a DVD
> b) booted from the DVD
> c) the install process noted that I already had 10.3 installed and
> offered me the option to “upgrade”.

Ok. Just what I thought.

The DVD upgrade method has currently a flaw: it can not upgrade packages
that are not in the DVD. Thus you have to run the package manager (qt
version), and check every package that doesn’t show in black and upgrade
them, one by one.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Carlos

Thanks for the tip.
Could you just clarify what you mean by: “package manager (qt version)” ?

On 2011-10-09 17:06, Tradewind25 wrote:

> Thanks for the tip.
> Could you just clarify what you mean by: “package manager (qt
> version)” ?

YaST in KDE, module package manager.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)