Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Long story short: I updated the system apps with zypper dup and, as I am using triple boot (Win, openSUSE and Mint, Mint starts the GRUB) I had to update the **grub config **to “update” the kernel on Mint, to make a USB adapter device work on my PC.

It worked thanks to Sauerland and arvidjaar, but later the *zypper dup *and *reboot *my screen resolution was very reduced (1024x768, original 2500x1600) and I tried to change the Xorg config, as I’m using Nvidia proprietary drivers and KDE Plasma, using

nvidia-xconfig --allow-empty-initial-configuration

as I saw from a similar problem here in the forums.

Then I rebooted and my openSUSE didn’t load in Plasma. It showed a black screen, and was asking for my localhost and a password. And it does not run the terminal, neither the command line.

Can I cry now or there’s some way to get out of there?

You should have realized at this point that it is impossible to answer questions without any information. So start with providing full output of “journalctl -b”. You can install susepaste package and use susepaste command which does not need GUI.

Does Ctrl-Alt-F3 produce a login prompt?

Is all good if you boot the previous kernel?

It has a login prompt. It asks for my localhost (which I guess is the machine name, idk) and after the password. Without that I have no access to the command line.

Is all good if you boot the previous kernel?

I haven’t tried that. The GRUB is managed by Linux Mint, and the kernel version too. I’ll try.

Yes. The problem is that I couldn’t even acess the command line. It asks for localhost and password. I provide both, but it says both are wrong.

After Ctrl-Alt-F3 on TW, what should appear is:

welcome message line
blank line
NIC name and IP address line
blank line
blank line
<hostname> login: line

<hostname> should be the content of /etc/hostname, something random the installer will create during installation that you can, and should, change to something meaningful to you at any time using hostnamectl or a text editor.

There may be less output if issue-generator is not installed.

How and where exactly is this “localhost” appearing? It should be expecting a login name, such as your username, or root, which after entry, will be followed by request for user’s password.

Oh yes, it’s this way:

welcome message

IP address
eno1: [ethernet connection I guess]
wifi adapter name

localhost login:

After that, it asks my password (which I input) but always says it’s wrong. Idk if it does not recognize my keyboard format.

It could be, but I don’t know anything about fixing that kind of trouble. I only ever use default EN. If you ask in one of the non-English forums someone is likely to know. With the current thread title here, you’re less likely to attract the attention of a keyboard expert than if your thread title alluded to your current problem.

After what? You are expected to enter user name here - either “root” or your own user name. It sounds like you just press Return/Enter.

Nevermind, this time I could access the command line.

Tried the Ctrl alt F3: it just refreshes the login “page”.
Ctrl Alt F6 does nothing.
Ctrl Alt F7 turns it into a real black screen only, with an underline symbol blinking on the edge.

Logged in, I saw that the files are ok, not corrupted or anything.

Which leads me to the point that the graphical interface, KDE, was trashed.

Sorry for being unclear. After inputting the user, it asks for the password. This time I could log in. I described on the post above.

Be precise. Ctrl, Alt, Fn means separately in sequence, while dashed it means together. Spaced between makes their meaning entirely ambiguous.

These I typed are not sequential keystrokes. All three (or two, as required) must be depressed together before any are released, at which time a switch to another becomes expected.

Did you give Ctrl-Alt-F6 enough time?

Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 should all produce exactly the same screen freshly after booting, except for one character, the integer in your previous keystroke. Once you have reached any of them, switching among them can be done without the Ctrl key. None should change if you don’t login. There may be a short period of pure black before any text appears each first time, depending on your PC’s overall speed.

In most scenarios, Ctrl-Alt-F7 is where X lives. In some, it’s on Ctrl-Alt-F1. In situations where an X session is started from one of F2-F6, X will remain on the vtty, so its login won’t return until after logging out of X.

Pressed them all the same time. Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 only seem to refresh or open a new session of the terminal. Nothing more.

In most scenarios, Ctrl-Alt-F7 is where X lives. In some, it’s on Ctrl-Alt-F1. In situations where an X session is started from one of F2-F6, X will remain on the vtty, so its login won’t return until after logging out of X.

Ctrl-Alt-F7 is the only that changes anything. But now when pressed, it only show a black screen with a underline blinking of the edge of the screen.
I guess this means that X is dead right now. When I noticed that Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 were changing sessions, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F7 on each one to see if there were something different. Yet, all I saw was the underline blinking on a black screen.

Are you able to login on any of vtty2-vtty6, so that troubleshooting can proceed? vtty7 will stay the same until a problem can be identified and a solution applied.

Yes, I can log in them all.

From one of those logins, do:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | susepaste

and provide the resulting URL here. That log might suggest to us the next move to make. If you get a not found message instead of a URL, then do:

sudo zypper in susepaste

and then try again.

There it is: https://susepaste.org/54733394

The problem is the NVidia driver failing to load. You may try: 1-rebuilding the initrd, or 2-reinstalling the NVidia driver, or 3-uninstalling and reinstalling the NVidia driver, or 4-uninstalling the NVidia driver and using the FOSS drivers for NVidia GPUs already provided and installed by openSUSE. I recommend you try the last option first, to ensure it is only the NVidia driver that is at fault. The third and fourth option include necessity to rebuild the initrd as the final step before rebooting to test for success. Please provide susepaste of Xorg.0.log for each test for success that results in failure. Uninstallation instructions for the NVidia driver you installed should have been a component of the installation instructions. They must be completed exactly and fully for the FOSS drivers to work.