black screen after updating xserver

hello friends,

i am fan on opensuse and currently i’m using opensuse 11.4

and i’m regularly updating packages of opensuse-update repo using “sudo zypper up” command

while i updating i have seen xorg is being updated after updating xorg i am unable to login

i am getting black screen…

please help me soon i have lot of task to complete on my laptop

thank you…

Can you give us the graphics type (i.e.: Intel, ATI, etc), you laptop model and the kernel you are using ? Also, please try to boot with failsafe (or just specify nomodeset on the GRUB boot option line). That should boot you up, with somewhat degraded graphics.

i am able to login using failsafe

kernel info is here

Linux linux-0uds.site 2.6.37.6-0.11-pae #1 SMP 2011-12-19 23:39:38 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series]

dell laptop n5010

what to do now… :frowning:

Typically, if one was using the proprietary graphic driver, and there is an update to the kernel (and only on occasion an update to xorg-x11-server) one’s proprietary graphic driver will be broken, and one needs to re-install a newer version (or rebuild) the proprietary graphic driver which is specific for that new kernel version. This could be the case wrt your Radeon HD 5600.

Were you using the proprietary AMD graphic driver?

yes i was using amd graphic driver…

will i need to reinstall amd graphic driver ???

Either install a version of the driver built for your updated kernel version, or rebuild the driver for your kernel version. There are different mthods for installing the graphic driver, I don’t know which you used, nor am I familiar with them all.

i reinstalled amd graphic driver and its working fine now…

thanks.