Black screen after installing SLES 10 SP2

I just installed SLES 10 with SP2. After the first reboot, it started booting up normally, then when it was supposed to bring up X, I just got a black screen. I thought I might have to install an NVidia driver to fix this, but there is no lynx or links text-based web browsing program, so I can’t download the driver. I have a GeForce 7300. I can boot with “safe mode” but not normally. Does anyone know how I can boot into graphical mode?

I found out that you can put “apm=off acpi=off” in the options before booting and it will boot into KDE. I have a question though: what’s the difference whether I use Open Suse or SLES? If I want to host my own website from my home PC, can I do that with Open Suse? If so, I’ll just keep using Open Suse.

Aha. I’m going to answer my own question again. I found these articles, which explain how to set up a web server that you host yourself.

HowTo: Configure a Linux Apache Web Server on Suse/openSUSE for SSI, Includes, CGI, Common Gateway Interface, AddHandler, ExecCGI, AllowOverride, htaccess, DocumentRoot
SuSE webserver

Although I doubt the university will allow me to host a web server from my own machine. They probably have port 80 blocked.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:06:04 GMT
BNG22908 <BNG22908@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> I just installed SLES 10 with SP2. After the first reboot, it started
> booting up normally, then when it was supposed to bring up X, I just
> got a black screen. I thought I might have to install an NVidia driver
> to fix this, but there is no lynx or links text-based web browsing
> program, so I can’t download the driver. I have a GeForce 7300. I can
> boot with “safe mode” but not normally. Does anyone know how I can
> boot into graphical mode?
>
>
Hi
Sax2 -r -m 0=vesa should help.

Use wget if you want the proprietary driver;

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/173.14.09/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.09-pkg2.run
or
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.09/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run

On another note, you should look at posting in forums.novell.com as
this is an openSUSE forum.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
up 0:30, 1 user, load average: 0.35, 0.72, 0.68
GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09