Black Screen After Install

Installed 11.2 as dual boot win7 system. Dell Studio XPS 16 with i7 820QM and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 video card.

GRUB comes up no problem with two openSUSE options both of which result in a black screen. Assume a video driver problem.

Is there a switch at boot to perhaps choose a screen resolution or driver to get me past this point.

Can you point me toward options.

Thanks
Frank

Take a look here:
openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums and then please post here with more questions as necessary.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Read it. What I’m looking for is an execution command line at boot time to provide some graphic driver or something. I can’t even seen the command prompt. Right now I have just a blank screen.

Thanks
Frank

Did you try to get what you call “an execution command line” by booting to run level 3 ?

When you first boot, you should get an initial boot/splash screen, where you can choose a regular boot, or to boot to failsafe settings.

As per the guide I linked the idea here is to boot to run level 3 (its explained in that guide I linked). At this initial boot/splash screen, press ‘3’ (no quotes) such that a ‘3’ appears in the options line. Then select a regular boot.

That should take you to a full screen text mode to login.

Do you get that ?