Black screen after a huge update to Plasma 5.10 and libQt 5.9

This isn’t a fix; it’s a workaround. And an ugly one too.

sddm hasn’t been crashing for me (it didn’t before I turned off subpixel hinting, either; it was the plasma stuff that did), so perhaps there’s another, unrelated bug.

-Robert Krawitz

> So, this bug is not completely fixed yet.

Is there a bug report filed on this? With attached “.xsession-errors” ?

It seems that after last update everything works again (without switching off subpixel rendering). Let’s knock on wood!

I can confirm that after last big update (over 370 packages), openSUSE Leap 42.2 now is working properly, also with subpixel hinting enabled, and sddm-greeter is not crashing anymore!

I agree …

Didn’t do it for me, unfortunately. plasmashell still crashed.

There’s something else squirrely going on with fonts. If I enable subpixel hinting, then plasmashell crashes (I’m downloading the debuginfo for plasmashell now). However, fonts in other apps – including non-QT apps – don’t look right either.

I’m using Liberation Sans as my default font. More digging…

Are you using an alternative repo for font rendering?
In that case, you need to go back to the original libfreetype6/fontconfig versions (from OSS/Update repos).

Moreover, as written before by wolfi323, you should do a full switch to the official Plasma5 repos for your openSUSE version.

I have updated from a virtual terminal, as root:

init 3
zypper refresh
zypper list-updates
zypper update
reboot

After these huge updates, it is very important to restart your computer.

I’m using the stock fontconfig and freetype bits from the openSUSE repo, and all of the KDE5 repos (that I know of, at any rate: Frameworks5, QT5, Extra, and Applications).

I’m using the Xorg repo too; I tried switching back to the stock openSUSE bits (based on the 1.16 server) by disabling that repo and zypper dup’ing it, but that didn’t change anything.

Rebooting also had no effect.

Changing fonts – the act of changing fonts, and changing back – in my browser did help my browser, but nothing else.

But that gives me an idea…

You must be absolutely sure you are not mix repo’s ie pulling some from an advanced version and some from standard. That is sure to break things. Don’t just randomly add repos thing may not be compatible. When using the advanced versions you must do a full vendor change to those repos so all required packages come only from the advanced. Mixing advanced and standard will not work.
If you need assistance in doing the vendor change show us your repo list

zypper lr -d

The repos I’m using (in addition to openSUSE Leap 42.2 and its updates) are:

KDE:/Applications/KDE_Frameworks5_openSUSE_Leap_42.2
KDE:/Qt5
KDE:/Frameworks5
KDE:/Extra
devel:/languages:/python3
X11:/Enlightenment:/Factory/
devel:/tools
devel:/tools:/scm
devel:/languages:/R:/released
LibreOffice:/Factory
X11:/XOrg
editors
graphics
multimedia:/photo
multimedia:/libs
multimedia:/color_management
GNOME:/Apps
mozilla (using Firefox LTS because I want to be able to use addons of my choice, not just what Mozilla says is good for me)
Emulators:/Wine
Packman

(the zypper lr -u output won’t be helpful because I mirror the repos I care about – I have DSL and updating from remote repos would be…impractical).

The latest update also works for me. I can even use my non standard fontconfig/libfreetype again, which I disbaled before the update.
I really would like to know what the actual problem was. I did a lot of reading last night in the QT blogs, there have been hints with earlier beta version of Qt 5.9 that something was wrong with the font rendering.

@rlk, you really should not use any factory repositories, that is just asking for trouble.

rlk, be aware that there are two versions of the following (fundamental) packages:

kcm_sddm
kcm_sddm_lang
sddm
sddm_branding-openSUSE
sddm_theme-openSUSE

One version is in the OSS repo and the other one is in the Frameworks5 repo.
You have to switch to the Frameworks5 packages.

The reason for zypper lr -d is not for the url but the numbering and/or exact alias used so we can give you the commands to do the vendor switch. Also if posting computer output use the code tags to stop reformatting by the editor (# in the tool bar). Please do not second guess the reasons for instructions given.

Could you provide a link to that repository?

I’m not using any factory repos. I’m using the openSUSE_Leap_42.2 versions.

All of them are the Frameworks 5 repo (and my issue, for that matter, isn’t with sddm):

$ rpm -qi kcm_sddm kcm_sddm-lang sddm sddm-branding-openSUSE sddm-theme-openSUSE |grep Distribution
Distribution: KDE:Frameworks5 / openSUSE_Leap_42.2

#  | Alias                              | Name                                                                            | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                | Service
---+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | Education                          | Applications for education users (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                           | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/education/openSUSE_Leap_42.2        |        
 2 | Emulators_Wine                     | Wine (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/Wine/openSUSE_Leap_42.2             |        
 3 | GNOME_Apps                         | GNOME Applications (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/GNOME_apps/openSUSE_Leap_42.2       |        
 4 | KDE_Applications                   | KDE:Applications (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE_Apps/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
 5 | KDE_Extra                          | Additional packages maintained by the KDE team (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE_Extra/openSUSE_Leap_42.2        |        
 6 | KDE_Frameworks5                    | KDE Frameworks 5 development repository (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2             |        
 7 | KDE_Qt56                           | KDE:Qt56 (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |        
 8 | Kernel_stable                      | Kernel builds for branch stable (standard)                                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/kernel/                             |        
 9 | LibreOffice_Factory                | The development branch for LibreOffice packages (openSUSE_42.2)                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/OOo-factory/openSUSE_Leap_42.2      |        
10 | Packman_repository_(openSUSE_42.2) | Packman repository (openSUSE_42.2)                                              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.2     |        
11 | X11_Enlightenment_Factory          | Enlightenment 17 and EFL devel project (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/enlightenment/openSUSE_Leap_42.2    |        
12 | X11_XOrg                           | X.Org development (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/X/openSUSE_Leap_42.2                |        
13 | devel_languages_R_released         | R core components, supplements (like rkward), and CRAN packages (openSUSE_42.2) | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/R/openSUSE_Leap_42.2                |        
14 | devel_tools                        | Generic Development Tools (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/devtools/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
15 | editors                            | Text editors and hex editors for Linux (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/editors/openSUSE_Leap_42.2          |        
16 | graphics                           | Graphics Project (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/graphics/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
17 | home_X0F_branches_multimedia       | Branch project for multimedia packages (openSUSE_Leap_42.1)                     | No      | ----      | ----    |  100     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.1/X0F/openSUSE_Leap_42.1              |        
18 | mozilla                            | Mozilla based projects (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.2          |        
19 | multimedia_color_management        | Tools and libraries for color management (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/color_management/openSUSE_Leap_42.2 |        
20 | multimedia_photo                   | Tools for viewing and editing photos (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/photo/openSUSE_Leap_42.2            |        
21 | openSUSE_Leap_42.2_NonFree_Update  | Online updates for openSUSE Leap 42.2 NonFree (standard)                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse/42.2/non-oss                   |        
22 | openSUSE_Leap_42.2_Update          | Online updates for openSUSE Leap:42.2 (standard)                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse/42.2/oss                       |        
23 | scm                                | scm                                                                             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/scm/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |        
24 | suse-42.2                          | suse-42.2                                                                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse-repo/42.2/oss                  |        
25 | suse-42.2-nonoss                   | suse-42.2-nonoss                                                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse-repo-nonoss/42.2/non-oss       |        
26 | vdr                                | Video Disk Recorder (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/vdr/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |        

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gldickens3/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

It is actually from a forum user, looks really good.

Something else I notice that’s interesting.

When I first log in, my icon fonts are ugly – a lot of block characters, and generally hard to read.

If I use system settings to change the General font from Liberation Sans 10 to Liberation Sans 9, everything looks a lot better; when I change it back to Liberation Sans 10, things continue to look good.

The rendering’s not quite as good as with subpixel hinting, but it looks reasonable.

So I appear to have finally resolved this, by switching my base font from Liberation Sans to FreeSans.

This begs the question of why Liberation Sans has worked well for me for years and only broke now. I last installed liberation-fonts as part of the 42.1->42.2 upgrade I did in December.