Big Problems after updating 12.2 to Kernel 3.4.20-2.20

So I just updated my Kernel using YaST Update and performed a reboot. (It was part of the Update from YaST)

Now that I passe the grub page, my KDE desktop looks like it lost the video drivers, and my mouse and keyboard won’t respond.
Tried to ping the Linux box from another PC on the network, and it isn’t responsive at all.

Rebooted into Failsafe, and at least my mouse and keyboard works, but I can’t ping anything.

All was working fine until I rebooted after my YaST Update.

My question is, how can I recover my Linux system? Can I just put in a 12.2 CD and boot to recovery and replace the kernel? Should I just install the 12.3 RC1 (being we are now under a month until 12.3 is released?)

I’m lost now without my Linux box. My email and weather station are on there, so I really need to get it back online.

Thanks for any help.
Phil / w2lie

I had some sort of issue earler today where specifically the kernel drpm’s were not available. Did you get any errors or retries during the update? Did you cancel any of them?

Usually the unresponsive black screen is a video driver issue. If you have had to install a 3rd party driver, you may need to reinstall it. For me, its the ATI driver ( groan ) so I keep a recent copy just in case. What graphics do you have?

Is this wired or wireless and how is the network configured? If its WiFi, untill the GUI starts the networkmanager fires up you won’t have one. Desegnate the appropriate profiles as a System Profile, so it will be available pre-boot ( and if the GUI barfs ).

In the GRUB menu, select the default, and in the options field put a “3” which specifies the init level as 3. This should boot as normal, but NOT start the GUI. If things look pretty normal and you get a console login ( except the for absence of the GUI, of course ) then its likely the video drivers. Confirm by logging in and trying startx, if it hangs, etc. then its video and you can troubleshoot it from there.

– Bob

Bob Mahar – Novell / NetIQ / SuSE ] Knowledge Partner
Do you do what you do at a .EDU? http://novell.com/ttp
“Programming is like teaching a jellyfish to build a house.”
More Bob: Twitter Blog http://vimeo.com/(http://forums.novell.com/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2Fboborama) ← Click And Be Amazed!

On 02/09/2013 05:46 PM, Liquid Squelch wrote:
>
> So I just updated my Kernel using YaST Update and performed a reboot.
> (It was part of the Update from YaST)
>
> Now that I passe the grub page, my KDE desktop looks like it lost the
> video drivers, and my mouse and keyboard won’t respond.
> Tried to ping the Linux box from another PC on the network, and it
> isn’t responsive at all.
>
> Rebooted into Failsafe, and at least my mouse and keyboard works, but I
> can’t ping anything.
>
> All was working fine until I rebooted after my YaST Update.
>
> My question is, how can I recover my Linux system? Can I just put in
> a 12.2 CD and boot to recovery and replace the kernel? Should I just
> install the 12.3 RC1 (being we are now under a month until 12.3 is
> released?)
>
>
> I’m lost now without my Linux box. My email and weather station are on
> there, so I really need to get it back online.

Were you using a special out-of-kernel driver, perhaps for your graphics device.
If so, you need to update that as well.

That is a general result as drivers will only run on the kernel for which they
were built.

Just happened to me. Earlier I had upgraded to KDE 4.10 which went fine, then there was a kernel upgrade and no way would it get past the choice of what OpenSuse to boot. Putting in the 12.2 dvd I tried rescue, but that was useless for a non expert. So I chose installation with the Upgrade Installed System selection ( not new install ), running it in Text Mode since that is most reliable — plus because I’ve got an Asus motherboard, no APIC.

After rebooting my system came up as normal, nothing lost, except naturally it was KDE 4.9 from the new install.

Now after adding the lost repositories, doing a few vital upgrades such as Firefox, video drivers stuff and oddly enough the latest kernel according to KDE 4.9 not the one KDE 4.10 showed ( which I shall avoid for a while ), and not upgrading the KDE 4.9 at all since it would be pointless, I’m upgrading straight to KDE 4.10 again.

Had it been really needed I would have just done a new installation of 12.2, keeping my Home directory: this also keeps your files as they were. But upgrading the old installation is preferable…

There’s something wrong with the boot script in the kernel that failed.

Thanks all for the quick replies…
To answer some questions: This is a wired network, not WiFi. I’m using 3rd party NVida drivers. And I can boot into Runlev3.

However, I don’t think this is a video drivers issue. When I log in with Failsafe or Normal, I can see my KDE screen. I don’t have a blank screen. However, when I boot normally, I can’t use my keyboard or mouse. Even if I boot normally into RunLevel 3. The only way I can use my USB Keyboard and Mouse is to run into Failsafe.

My network is down no matter what version I use, so I can’t even PuTTY in from a remote PC to work on it.

With that said, I think my only option to recover is the rescue mode on a live cd and downgrade the Kernel. What do you think?

Fail safe does not use the NVIDIA drive it uses a more primitive fallback driver (which one depends on things) so it could be the driver. Anytime a kernel is updated it may require a reinstall of the propritary video driver. I’d try a driver reinstall before I reinstall the whole system.

A bad video driver would cause my network, usb mouse and usb keyboard to fail?

I did a double check and it looks like I have an Intel Video Driver. lspic shows Intelcorp 82845G/GL GE Chipset.
According to the Intel website, this driver should be included with most kernels

With that said, I don’t think I can move forward with a driver update… Any other steps I can try before I do a rescue/recover on 12.2 ?

after booting into failsafe mode you can insert the cd and use the kernel from the cd
Just go to YaST and add the cd as a repo.
It is not a good approach but might be worth a try

If you are using Network Manager, yes - depending on configuration not having GUI component may result in no network. Mouse obviously does not work because X does not start. And you do not explain what “keyboard does not work” really means.

With that said, I don’t think I can move forward with a driver update…

If you know better, why ask? In any case, the first thing that has be done after kernel update is to build nVidia module for this kernel. Or use RPM from repository for openSUSE 12.2 - that would avoid this problem.

I just upgraded to this new kernel with two nvidia machines, one with bumblebee/64bits and the other one with classic nvidia repo / 32 bits. Both went ok.
There might be another problem.

Thank you all for the replies so far…

I need to clear it up that I am NOT using NVidia drivers… I have an Intel video chipset.

When I say the keyboard doesn’t work, what I mean is any keypress isn’t registered in GUI or Shell. If I press Caps or Number Lock, nothing happens. If I try and log in, nothing happens. They keyboard only works in Failsafe.

I have the 12.2 disk and will try and use that as a repository today. My fingers are crossed that I can downgrade the Kernel and then try and upgrade it again. Should that fail, I might just have to wait for 12.3 to roll and do an upgrade.

I have made it a practise to install the default kernel in addition to desktop kernel whenever there are kernel upgrades as it would serve as a backup when something goes bad during upgrade :-). All it will need is a few ip packets to get lost and the installation is corrupted :frowning: i always keep a DVD at hand so that i can upgrade from it whenever required

On 2013-02-10 14:56, Liquid Squelch wrote:
> They keyboard only
> works in Failsafe.

There is a trick, which is remove options from the failsafe option till
it boots, or use the normal boot adding options from the failsafe boot,
one at a time, till it works.

Also, it is a good thing to allow multiple kernel versions to be
installed, so that you can instantly reboot with the previous version if
you get that failure with an upgrade.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Thank you all for the help…
I was able to fix the problem and bring the system up 100%

I downloaded the 12.2 DVD last night and burnt the ISO.

This morning, I removed all repositories from the system using YaST and only set the DVD as the only repository. I downgraded the kernel to 3.4.6-2.10-default and rebooted.

The system is back online. Keyboard, mouse, sound, network, etc.
I will be sure to allow for multiple kernels in the future.
Thanks all for the help.