Beta Verdict

I downloaded Beta a few days ago, and was planning on trying it out after this weekend. Now all I’ve seen is horror stories so far, so I’m beginning to think that I may just stick with M5. Any good news stories (I’d be doing a KDE 64 bit install on a laptop with ATI 2500HD card) out there to give me courage to try beta?::\

Using the KDE Live CD was OK

If you are already using M5 just do a yast or zypper update and it will carry on working fine. Or if you have d/l the dvd just add the iso of this as a yast source and update that way.

Installed from the GNOME LiveCD today.

The only minor issue after install was that networking did not work until after a real reboot. The NVIDIA 6100 onboard performs much better on the nouveau driver than on the “hard way installed” binary driver from NVIDIA. Not thoroughly tested though

On 2011-10-06 15:26, gavinto wrote:
> Now all I’ve seen is horror stories so far

You will always see the bad histories about here rather than successes.
Make sense, people want help or the problems corrected.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

That happens with the live KDE install also. I was able to get networking with
/etc/init.d/network restart
(as root, of course), though rebooting would have done as well.

It was worse when I installed on my desktop. I found that the networking was configured to use “ifup” with a static IP, but no static IP had been configured. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t at least have it default to DHCP.

Today I installed 12.1 beta 1
Installed without problems…runs without problems !!!

only issue…not really…to be expected…not all apps which I normally use are available…will come!

General experience
Shutdown must faster !!!
Boot appears to be faster…cant’ be bothered to time it.
General responsiveness (subjective observation) appeared to be faster.
All worked out-of the box (internet etc)

Great work from the developers !!!

Cheers

Otto_Oz

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:26:02 +0000, gavinto wrote:

> I downloaded Beta a few days ago, and was planning on trying it out
> after this weekend. Now all I’ve seen is horror stories so far, so I’m
> beginning to think that I may just stick with M5. Any good news stories
> (I’d be doing a KDE 64 bit install on a laptop with ATI 2500HD card) out
> there to give me courage to try beta?::\

Don’t worry what everyone else says, just try it. You may get lucky!

I’ve tried beta on three machines; one desktop installation went OK but
graphics needed nomodeset but were pretty awful, worse than M5;
installation on 2nd desktop failed repeatedly; installation on laptop
worked without a problem and graphics were OK.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Thanks for all of the good news stories. Usually I’ll ignore a few bad horror stories and give things a shot (I understand people want to get things fixed…been there too). Somehow beta just seemed to have more horror stories than usual. I’ll give things a shot this weekend and post my experiences (good or bad) Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving to the other Canadians out there.

Downloaded and burned DVD of beta1. Got the /var/lib/rpm/.rpm lock previously seen in other threads. Rebooted into PartedMagic and saw that the lock does exist! This after reformatting the SUSE_12-1 partition and clean install (required nomodeset). Subsequent reboot allowed completing installation and KDE desktop came up after install finished but on further reboots login failed with “consolekit” error. Will attempt an install with different desktop next. Will post results.

ASUS M4N98TD EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II x4 cpu
ASUS EN210 video (low end), 4GB RAM
chipset: NVIDEA nForce 980a SLI
Drives: 2 x 1.5TB sata3

Tom

It does seem that way.

Perhaps they should consider reverting to use of “init”, and postpone “systemd” until 12.2 . I have the impression that a lot of the problems are related to the systemd change.

On 10/06/2011 06:26 AM, gavinto wrote:
>
> I downloaded Beta a few days ago, and was planning on trying it out
> after this weekend. Now all I’ve seen is horror stories so far, so I’m
> beginning to think that I may just stick with M5 …]

I already had MS5 installed; did “zypper ref && zypper up”: Beta 1. So,
I have no horror stories to tell of a fresh install.

1. With MS5 (maybe at some stage of it), the KDE shutdown issue was
    gone. Considering my cra…, ummh, low-spec graphic chipset (SiS/VIA
    Chrome; this also means a low-spec motherboard), I had no expectation to
    have it resolved. I was happy, though I usually stay with Fluxbox or
    Awesome windowmanagers. The black screen has returned; behind it, the
    system seems to be humming along, though. Push the reboot button.

2. Windowmanagers. IceWM and Openbox are standard packages. Fluxbox and
    Awesome are from “X11 windowmanagers factory”. All these have issues of
    one kind or another. I cannot log into Awesome at all. I cannot log out
    of IceWM, clicking on its logout menu item: Ctrl+Alt+Bs. All these seem
    to experience “D-BUS daemon not running” or something. I’m advised to do
    “export $(dbus-launch)”, if I try to start some applications from within
    a terminal. Openbox did not have this problem in MS5, if I recall right.

3. Japanese input. The usually-very-low-traffic Japanese mailing list
    started rumbling about many problems about this (What about users of
    Korean or Chinese IME?). Some of what the posters were talking about
    went over my head. But the issues are serious: Japanese input does not
    work. The IBus IME does not take my choice of “anthy”; it always
    forgets, along with another setting. No, I’ve just tried to change
    settings, KDE: closed the preference pop-up; opened the pop-up: does not
    take a new or changed setting at all, it seems.

I put in “.xim”, cobbled up after “.xim.template”:
export QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-multi
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
ibus-daemon -x -d
(I’m not sure if the above is correct. But now I can see the IBus icon
in the tray. But IBus cannot be toggled on.)

I try to test on Japanese Google (google.co.jp) in Firefox. Alack and
alas, the Japanese Google user-interface seems to have gotten a major
overhaul: now it offers a set of prediction phrases in Japanese as soon
as I start typing, without any IME toggled on. So, I try the
simple-minded “GJiten” (Japanese <> English dictionary). Of course, I
cannot turn on IBus.

1. The kdesu thing “caf??” was asking about. Nothing with me, either.

My verdict: I installed OpenSUSE 12.1 beta a few days ago. At first, I tried installing from the DVD, but several things wouldn’t work, including Gnome Shell. I reinstalled from the LiveCD, and those problems went away. The install was painless, but a lot less user-friendly than, say, Ubuntu or Mint installs. There were a few features I found to be missing; in particular, I would have appreciated the ability to name my computer and join a workgroup during install as opposed to trying to hunt down those settings post-install. Otherwise, the install went without a hitch.

When install completed, I found I had no network connections. Worse, all the settings I found for the network mentioned something about being incompatible. Networking came up fine after a reboot. Suggestion: If Network-Manager is going to be installed by default, then please remove the networking tools that are incompatible with NM. Anyone who is going to use ifupdown to control their networks can probably find the necessary tools in the repos easily enough.

I am having some strange compositing issues with the radeon driver. For example, opening a file manager window will show just a couple of icons surrounded by a lot of white space. Mousing over the white spaces causes more icons to appear. Screen painting and redrawing is definitely an issue. However, installing fglrx is presently not an option, as there are no official repositories for fglrx, the latest package on AMD’s site does not support 12.1, and the “unofficial” package causes GDM to hang after it draws the login screen’s backdrop, so I can never log in.

Despite these issues, I am finding myself quite comfortable with the environment. I am not finding any major or showstopping issues. With a bit of spit-polish, I think 12.1 is about ready for prime time.

Some of that is a result of installing from a live CD. You basically get a prepackaged system, with the initial choice mostly made by the packagers.

I think that was an unintended screw up. But then this is only a Beta, so you can’t expect perfection.

On my laptop, it came up set to use NetworkManager, but that only worked after a reboot. On my Desktop, it came up configured for “ifup” and for a manually configured IP, but with no IP actually configured.

Better late than never I hope. I see that RC1 is ready so this may not be as helpful now.

System: Asus A7k laptop
12.1 Version: 64 bit DVD clean install (all checksums came through ok so it was a good download)

Try1:
Put in dvd and started install…hung after a few minutes on a random green screen

Try2:
Put in DVD, and check installation media first. All is good and installation proceeds smoothly. Select to format everything but my swap partition and install. Gets caught up with the error that OldCPU found

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=721676

Try 3:
Put in DVD, and check installation media first. All is good and installation proceeds smoothly. Select to format everything *including *my swap partition and install. Everything continues to go lovely, reboots for first configuration which appears to finish properly…and then hangs on first login. Reboot machine and straight to black screen.

Well RC1 is out so I’ll give that a try this weekend. I’ll post my progress sooner I hope