best laptop for opensuse, dell studio 15 or hp dv5?

I’m about to buy a new laptop with a processor that supports virtualization. I’ve narrowed it down to these 2. Is there any known hardware issues with one or the other especially in regard to sound, video, webcam, fingerprint reader etc?

I’m strongly leaning towards the dell with a P8400 montevina chipset. Does anyone have one and can confirm the option to enable VT exists in the bios? I know the cpu can do it but dell doesn’t always provide for such with its bios.

Final question is, a 4gb dell is well over $100 dearer than a 3gb. I can pick up a 2gb module elsewhere for around $30. Has anyone upgraded their montevina chipset based dell and knows which brands of memory work?

Best place to look is here
for the dell HCL/Laptops/Dell - openSUSE
and HP HCL/Laptops/HP - openSUSE

/Geoff

Thanks for that. That takes care of my first question. I’m still wondering about whether I can enable VT in the bios of the dell. I have spent hours googling without an answer. I asked dell and they gave the expected response “Huh?” I think I probably can but it would be nice if it could be confirmed. Also the ram question, is it really necessary to pay the ridiculous dell price for ram or will most brands of DDR2 laptop ram work fine?

I’m not a fan of Opensuse on the DV laptops, just didn’t have the easiest time with mine…

Another thing to think about, is that at least SOME Dell’s support Ubuntu, which means it can support other distros…

Just check the specs on Dell’s site for the Ubuntu Machines with the Studios, and makes sure there is enough that is the same that it shouldn’t be a problem…

Just my 2 cents…

And No, don’t pay Dell for Ram unless it’s a killer deal…or you don’t feel like opening up your new baby…

Odd, the only thing that is a little bit of a pain on my dv6645 is the Broadcom wireless adapter, the problem being that I have to install the firmware files, other than that everything works perfectly out of the box.

Including the built in webcam.

I have that “virtualisation” option in my BIOS, but have no idea what it does.

Can anyone point me to an explanation, or just tell me what it is good for?

Nothing seemed to change when I enabled it.

Perhaps between the Broadcom and the “QuickPlay,” etc…I just felt it would not be the best candidate…

To each his own, I really didn’t care for the DV line too much, but I run my office’s IT department with far too many Dells, and Dell catalogs…

growbag wrote:
> Odd, the only thing that is a little bit of a pain on my dv6645 is the
> Broadcom wireless adapter, the problem being that I have to install the
> firmware files, other than that everything works perfectly out of the
> box.

You know, of course, that this is Broadcom’s fault.

Larry

yeah I know, bunch of poofs!

I have a Dell Studio 15 (I’m typing on it now) running openSUSE-11.1 KDE-3.5.10 (mostly) and also KDE-4.1 (less often) and also Vista (even less often).

I also came down to the Dell Studio 15 vs the HP DV5 decision point.

Once narrowed to these two PCs, I chose the Dell Studio 15, mostly for non-technical/financial reasons, ie I could get an english keyboard, english documentation, and English Vista for the Dell without paying extra, but not for the HP DV5 (where I had to pay an extra 100 euros with the HP) (I live in Germany).

My Dell came with 4GB RAM. No extra cost incurred.

But the HP’s in stock at the time did not come with 4GB of RAM, and it was a silly cost to pay the store to upgraded to 4GB for the HP. But now there are HP DV5’s in stock at the local store with 4GB of RAM, so it would be a closer choice now.

Some Dells have problems with their monitor and Linux. Take a look here:
Dell Studio 15 [Linux Laptop Wiki]
ie problems with intel X3100 GMA graphics, and also problems with one specific LCD monitor is incompatible with Intel Graphic hardware.

I think I read of a work around for the LCD monitor problem (not sure) but I’m on vacation currently, and no time to research this. But armed with the knowledge that there is a slight risk with some Intel graphics and a specific LCD monitor, you could likely google it, learn the details and get assurances from Dell that you will not be shipped one.

I have a Dell with the ATI-HD3450, and I’m happy with it. I’m not a fan of complex graphics (I don’t use special desktop effects nor 3D / the cube ) so I use the simple radeon openGL (opensource) graphic driver. It works fine for me.

Reference the Studio 15, the webcam works with the uvc driver. Video can vary from Studio 15 to Studio 15, dependant on the graphic hardware one has selected.

There are issues with sound that are mostly solved. The mute (when headsets are plugged in) does not work properly with the generic Linux alsa-1.0.18a. Instead when one plugs in their headset, the speaker sound continues. However an alsa/openSUSE dev produced a fix for openSUSE and incorporated the fix into the openSUSE-11.1 release, and also incorporated the fix into the cutting edge packaged rpms available for openSUSE in general. The alsa/openSUSE dev also forwarded the fix upstream (which is something Ubuntu dev’s often do not do - which is one reason why I will never go move to Ubuntu, unless that Ubuntu policy is reversed). The digital microphones do not work under Linux (for any distribution) but the external microphone does work.

I have not tried to get the finger print reader functioning. I pretty much summarized my experience with the Studio 15 in the openSUSE HCL section on Dell laptops.