Believe to be a UEFI error or ACPI

Can anyone get me out of this problem.
Kernel: 5.14.21-150400.24.97-default
B450M GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4300G with Radeon Graphics (8) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Looks like possible hard drive failure to me.

I also need to add this on. There is nothing wrong with the Hard Drive.
The Desktops secure boot is off. I have also added the default Kernel EFI file when the Desktop boots-up. /etc/uefi/certs/BCA4E38E-shim.crt
The Opensuse Distro in recovery mode will Boot-up the Operating system.

A while ago I had a similar problem. Turned out the boot parameters were wrong.

My setup now is to dual boot, Windows 10 and Linux. I installed Windows 10, doing it’s own partitions. Now I looked up installing Linux on a 100MB EFI Partition, which OpenSuse doesn’t complain, it installed with 16MB free on the partition. The main OpenSuse is on one partition with ext4.
Now I have done an experiment with an alternative Operating system. Ubuntu installation on a spare HDD. It works. One EFI Partition and One EXT4 Partition.

I do the same thing with OpenSuse and I also for test purposes make the EFI partition bigger. It still gives me the same error, on the picture. This is also done on the spare HDD.

I’m by no means a linux expert, so what I say is maybe complete nonsens.
It’s my believe an efi-partitions holds only the UEFI boot loaders and some other things needed by the UEFI firmware. Hence it’s so small some 100 MB.
BTW how can you install Leap 15.4 on 100 MB? The minimum space needed is around 2.5 GB AFAIK.
So if you want to install openSUSE you need apart from the efi-partition at least two (one can do too) linux partitions be it btrf, ext4 etc… One mounted as / and one mounted as /home. root can be reasonable small say 20 GB. Depending on the RAM your pc has, you maybe need a swap partition too. Swap is usualy the double of the RAM.
Below a picture of my setup. dualboot W10 and Tumbleweed

The post by @tommyrich was confusing, but I think he was only referring to the EFI partition. He did mention using an “ext4” partition for openSUSE, though he did not give the size.

And to clear up another point where @tommyrich might be confused, you do not need a separate EFI partition for openSUSE. It can share the same EFI partition used by Windows and by other systems.

@tommyrich

Please use the Preformatted text button </> for copied/pasted computertext. As it is now, your df output is barely readable.
And also, please include the prompt/command you use, now people have to guess what you used and do not learn much from it.

Example:

henk@boven:~> df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs           3.9G  2.4M  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.6G  1.7M  1.6G   1% /run
tmpfs           4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda3        20G   13G  6.1G  68% /
/dev/sda1       256M   64M  193M  25% /boot/efi
tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /tmp
/dev/sda4       197G   90G  106G  47% /home
tmpfs           781M  176K  780M   1% /run/user/1000
henk@boven:~> 
This is a setup I've done for many years on an intel computer. Now running the Latest LTS Kubuntu and Windows 11.
Filesystem          Size     Used   Avail   Use% Mounted on
tmpfs               780M     3.3M   777M    1% /run
/dev/sda4           594G     222G   341G    40% /
tmpfs               3.9G     1.4M   3.9G    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs               5.0M     4.0K   5.0M    1% /run/lock
/dev/sda3           350G     289G    61G   83% /mnt/windows
/dev/sda1           96M      50M    47M    52% /boot/efi
tmpfs               780M     128K   780M    1% /run/user/1000

Thanks I was wondering about that.
Sorry still haven’t seen a constructive answer to my problem. I’m going to use the new SWAP partition where it’s a file on the main root partition

Did you take a look at the boot parameters? It wouldn’t surprise me if another partition is listed as root.

press E when grub comes up
You should see something like this:

echo	'Loading Linux 6.6.1-1-default ...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-6.6.1-1-default root=UUID=b9960589-b0ff-4e73-b829-15921cc926b0 .... 
``
UUID b9960... is my root partition.
When I had a boot problem similiar to yours the usb-stick - which I had used to install Leap 15.5 - was listed. Hence the kernel panic.

I’m tests with a spare HDD. If I allow Opensuse to do it’s own formatting with what’s it’s default formatting which is BTRFS, The operating installs and works correctly.
When I install Opensuse 15.4 with one partition EFI 500MB and one partition with ext4 /. Then the startup is broken.
I do the same EXT4 partitioning with UBUNTU the computer boots correctly.

The OpenSuse is now working. On my motherboard, downgrading to 15.3 allowed me to install OpenSuse with EFI and EXT4 as root partition. Then upgraded to 15.4, so my only belief is the developers are forcing people to upgrade there partition to BTRFS on the new 15.4 upwards.

They are not doing that.

I did a clean install of 15.5, using “ext4” for the root file system. I did not have any problems. What you have been experiencing may be a peculiarity of your hardware.

Note that I also have Leap 15.6 Alpha installed using “ext4”, and apparently running well.

I have about 30 15.5 installations here, slightly fewer of 15.4 and still fewer of 15.3 and 15.6. All are on EXT4, except for one on a laptop that was given to me with Leap already installed on BTRFS. All my TWs are on EXTx as well (some older on EXT3).

OK. Then peculiarity of my hardware must something that OpenSuse on the new version doesn’t like about GIGABYTE AMD Motherboard, even though secure boot is switched off. When I do a boot prompt, it entitles the OpenSuse drive it’s booting from secureboot.

@tommyrich AFAIK the default is secure boot unless you swap at the final summary screen. Fire up YaST2 Bootloader and modify as required. If you check the output from efibootmgr -v I expect it’s using shim.efi and the uses fallback.efi

I have installed the default kernel shim.efi. I’m doing that, as I have a dualboot to Windows 10 and option to 11. As we know Microsoft is very fical when it comes to what it wants from the new Operating system.