Beginner fallen at first fence with permissions problem

Just installed VirtualBox and tried to get started but received a permissions problem warning. Sorry, now found threads here to solve first question.

Assuming I get VM up and running, will it be able to access other drives and partitions on the real machine host?

Budgie

Yes, with the shared folders option.

Re. the first issue: make sure your user is a member of the vboxusers

On 06/22/2017 05:16 AM, Budgie2 wrote:
>
> Just installed VirtualBox and tried to get started but received a
> permissions problem warning. Went to Yast as directed but darned if I
> could find a group “vboxusers” which I could join. Please could
> somebody put me straight here.
>
> Assuming I get VM up and running, will it be able to access other drives
> and partitions on the real machine host?
>
> Budgie
>
>

You will need to add the vboxusers group. Using YaST you will find it
under User/Group management.

Ken
linux since 1994
S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

There are many many ways for Guests and the HostOS to access remote file systems on the same physical machine.
Besides shared folders, you can configure your Guest with any of the following

• Configure Network Shares. Of course, this requires network connectivity.
  • Add a drive to the Guest, the drive is configured to be, and point to whatever is suitable. Can be a block device, a partition or drive, whatever.

From the HostOS, it’s less common but you can mount a loop device which in turn can be pointed to a number of different kinds of objects.

TSU

Hi TSU, I am closing this thread now as work has continued in another. Many thanks for your help. I am now working on two fronts and it looks like I may have to recompile my kernel with hpfs module included. Way above my pay grade!
Regards,
Budgie

According to wolfi,
the HPFS kernel module has already been compiled for you, you only need to access it (openSUSE maintainers are good about pre-compiling useful kernel modules)
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/525552-Getting-past-the-VM-installation-resart?p=2827421#post2827421

The MAN page for mount doesn’t list the hpfs option,
You can try using “hpfs” or if that fails then the “ntfs” type.

TSU