Before you upgrade any system to Windows 10.....Read This!

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/08/04/windows-10-upgrade-bug-makes-some-pcs-unusable/

I have two laptops running Windows 8.1; Not certain i want to upgrade either of them now; “free” ain’t always “free”!

I have seen thread(s), may have been on Lenovo’s community site (not sure now), about failure on a clean install (from ISO I think) wrt to loss of licence. Upgrading from within Windows was that forum’s recommendation.

Haven’t upgraded my Win7 yet, but I know man who has done so on same notebook. Waiting to hear back from him with some answers. :slight_smile:

fwiw

Windows OS has not been used for about 10 years but the
‘no OS’ message was commonly seen

solution was, boot from a bootable floppy or DVD and type the cmd

sys

then reboot, this restored the HDD as the system boot drive

does this still work?

On Thu 06 Aug 2015 02:46:02 PM CDT, consused wrote:

BSDuser;2722783 Wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/q88f8r5
>
>
> I have two laptops running Windows 8.1; Not certain i want to upgrade
> either of them now; “free” ain’t always “free”!
I have seen thread(s), may have been on Lenovo’s community site (not
sure now), about failure on a clean install (from ISO I think) wrt to
loss of licence. Upgrading from within Windows was that forum’s
recommendation.

Haven’t upgraded my Win7 yet, but I know man who has done so on same
notebook. Waiting to hear back from him with some answers. :slight_smile:

Hi
I always run Belarc Advisor to get the keys before and after, you can
also check the license type via;

slmgr /dli

I did a fresh install of win 7 on my ASUS K53U test machine (uefi mode)
had to go through updates etc (many hours) to get the upgrade icon,
reserved a copy and it started to download straight away… ran the
upgrade a few hours later and all was fine…

My HP ProBook has Win 10 Pro now as have been using as a test machine.
Boots just a quick as openSUSE Tumbleweed even after a full shutdown.

I have a HP Pavilion 10 Touchscreen (1GHz APU 2GB RAM ) running win 8.1,
it gets the update icon, but if I run the check app it says windows
cannot be installed lol. So popped in another hdd and installed win 10
on that via my iso image, it worked fine…

If I can get a bigger SSD I might be tempted to try it on this, just
need to install win 7 and run the upgrade…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel
3.12.44-52.10-default If you find this post helpful and are logged into
the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star
below… Thanks!

1. I have an old desktop, running Vista. Apparently there is no upgrade from Vista to Windows 10. So that one was easy;
  2. I have a laptop running Windows 7. Given all of the privacy issues that I have seen being discussed, my inclination is to leave it on Windows 7. The chances are that it will go to the computer graveyard before Windows 7 support ends.
  3. My main Desktop has Windows 8.1. This is the one that I think about possibly upgrading. But now I’m not so sure. I don’t actually use Windows 8.1. It just sits there for testing issues with dual booting. So I could use Windows 10 the same way. Or I could nuke it, and make more disk space available for linux.

I’m not particularly sweating this. If I do upgrade that Win8.1 to Win10, it won’t be for a while. I’ll let the bugs shake out first.

My only serious use of Windows, is for tax software (on my laptop). Maybe I should test that software in Wine the next time around.

On Thu 06 Aug 2015 04:56:01 PM CDT, nrickert wrote:

My only serious use of Windows, is for tax software (on my laptop).
Maybe I should test that software in Wine the next time around.

Hi
Just for working on iPhone’s and upgrading the software here with
iTunes. I wonder if the insider release I have will expire in
October…

below… Thanks!

It was quite a pain to get my laptop upgraded because of the infamous “something happened” error, but once installed and configured it’s really worth it over 8/8.1 IMO. I think Microsoft should have made it possible to do a clean install from the get-go instead of having to upgrade to get an updated license, but whatever. I’ll get lynched for saying this, but I like the UI more than any Linux DE.

On 2015-08-07 00:46, zen wrote:
> saying this, but I like the UI more than any Linux DE.

Does it have multiple workspaces?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

On Thu 06 Aug 2015 11:04:06 PM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-08-07 00:46, zen wrote:
> saying this, but I like the UI more than any Linux DE.

Does it have multiple workspaces?

Hi
Yes, finally caught up, even my android tablet has them…

below… Thanks!

On 2015-08-07 02:08, malcolmlewis wrote:

>> Does it have multiple workspaces?
>
>
> Hi
> Yes, finally caught up, even my android tablet has them…

Well, Android had them since the start, I think. Or kind of, there can
only be one running app at a time, and it runs full screen.

Windows getting them is interesting. However, from what I heard W-10
does aggressive data mining on your whole computer, thus I don’t intend
to use it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On Fri 07 Aug 2015 12:34:06 AM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-08-07 02:08, malcolmlewis wrote:

>> Does it have multiple workspaces?
>
>
> Hi
> Yes, finally caught up, even my android tablet has them…

Well, Android had them since the start, I think. Or kind of, there can
only be one running app at a time, and it runs full screen.

Windows getting them is interesting. However, from what I heard W-10
does aggressive data mining on your whole computer, thus I don’t intend
to use it.

Hi
No on my Android tablet (with KatKiss) I can run multiple windows on a
desktop (minimize/maximize/scaled).

You can turn it all off, I see minimal traffic inbound and outbound via
wireshark, but I run next to nothing on it and then only sporadically
for real work.

below… Thanks!

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Windows getting them is interesting. However, from what I heard W-10
> does aggressive data mining on your whole computer, thus I don’t intend
> to use it.
>

Take a hour or so to go thru the settings and you can eventually get rid of
most of the snoops - unless you want to run Cortana and the other voice-
activated crap. Personally, I’d rather have the machine do what I instruct
it to do than try to outguess me but…

Even after going painfully thru all the settings, I still have the
uncomfortable feeling that there is still some spyware there so I doubt I be
using W10 for much.

Will Honea

My Lenovo W530 with Win. 8.1 was supposed to be upgraded by now, but the upgrade keeps failing. I have the reinstall disks from IBM for Win. 8.1; The video card is the 2 GB NVIDIA KM1000; Has the driver for this been upgraded much in the past three years under Linux? I am thinking now of just dumping Windows 100% on it; I have two fully functining 64bit Windows 7 VM’s anyway - really do not need Windows as a host anymore.

On 2015-08-08 04:25, Will Honea wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Windows getting them is interesting. However, from what I heard W-10
>> does aggressive data mining on your whole computer, thus I don’t intend
>> to use it.
>>
>
> Take a hour or so to go thru the settings and you can eventually get rid of
> most of the snoops -

Oh, I have noted a link that describes the procedure in detail :slight_smile:

One of the things is getting rid of the Microsoft account. What I don’t
know is if it is possible to install without one, instead of using one,
then removing it.

> Even after going painfully thru all the settings, I still have the
> uncomfortable feeling that there is still some spyware there so I doubt I be
> using W10 for much.

Exactly :slight_smile:

Anyways, I don’t intend to update my W7 unless I’m forced to. I don’t
/use/ Windows. I simply have a number of gadgets that absolutely require
Windows for maintenance and updates. So, about once a month I have to
boot it.

For example, I have to use ADE and kobo desktop to download the ebooks I
pay for. Or the application to download and install my TomTom maps.

And of course, on those sessions I have to update Windows itself and the
applications (antivurs, java, firefox, gadgets…), an operation that
takes several hours and several reboots. Last time it was about a day of
updates. And I have a fast Internet connection, but downloads crawled.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On Sat 08 Aug 2015 12:44:11 PM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-08-08 04:25, Will Honea wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Windows getting them is interesting. However, from what I heard W-10
>> does aggressive data mining on your whole computer, thus I don’t
>> intend to use it.
>>
>
> Take a hour or so to go thru the settings and you can eventually get
> rid of most of the snoops -

Oh, I have noted a link that describes the procedure in detail :slight_smile:

One of the things is getting rid of the Microsoft account. What I don’t
know is if it is possible to install without one, instead of using one,
then removing it.

<snip>

Hi
Yes, it (Win10) runs fine with just a local account via install or
upgrade if that’s what your using. I have one machine using a MS
account now to get insider builds, the other (upgraded via their tool)
just uses a local one. Both install were a local account.

below… Thanks!

On 2015-08-08 16:10, malcolmlewis wrote:

> Hi
> Yes, it (Win10) runs fine with just a local account via install or
> upgrade if that’s what your using. I have one machine using a MS
> account now to get insider builds, the other (upgraded via their tool)
> just uses a local one. Both install were a local account.

That’s good to know.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It is just that Microsoft is really really really pushing data mining and all (?) of the ‘advantages’ of Windows 10 are based on that.

I dislike and despise any form of automatic content generation based on my preferences. I don’t want any automated tool to pick and select news items on my preferences. Although YouTube does a nice job of it (based on past video’s watched). But certainly not for news, not in that way.

So when you turn off Cortana and you turn off Edge (how the hell does that work anyway? They don’t explain). Really, I had installed a developer preview in July. Maybe in June. I had a real hard time finding a web browser :P.

The configuration screen was really well hidden somewhere in a list of applications.

My NVidia card driver didn’t work, I don’t know why. I did not have a proper resolution. This was in June. A month before release.

It just feels like why the hell should I use Windows still if all of its advantages are stuff I don’t like? They are putting you in a tough spot. Maybe I’m a dying breed (being a desktop user and all) but I feel tablets and smartphones are just not for any type of productive work, tablets the least, ordinarily.

I really hate touch screen to begin with, really.

So now I have three options:

• Use the Windows 7 on this laptop (I have to recover it first, its update cycle broke everything)
  • Upgrade it to Windows 10
  • Use Windows 8 in some way (I have a license at home).

Neither of them do really appeal to me but Windows 7 is still the most friendly I think. I am losing my comfort in life. Computers are a large part of me. It is one reason I am spending so much time making (openSUSE) a cozy environment.

Yesterday, for the first time, I forgot I was using Linux.

That’s really bliss if you finally forget you are using Linux. It means the system is not getting in the way.

Today that is no longer so :P. I was in KDE trying to select a window (from the panel) and there were 3 grouped windows and the popup was unclickable. It completely bugged out. Yes, that’s having me curse and throw my hands up in despair ;-).

But Windows… I have long considered it a dying breed. I am actually now looking at BeoS / Haiku for the first time.

Things actually never were better than in Windows 95/98. Particularly 98, my fondest version and fondest OS ever?.

There was not much wrong with Windows XP except for its looks. I was able to partially resolve that with the Royale theme.

Windows 7 (or Vista) started introducing the detrimental features of “search everywhere”. I can tell you I have never used Baloo or any kind of desktop search (other than unintentional in Windows) but the search facility in Windows 7 has actually been totally crippled. It is completely pointless and worthless because you can’t even search for file names. It can only search for stuff when they have the indexer enabled for that area of your filesystems. The configuration menu (configuration screen) is completely crippled unless you use the search/filter thing. They have crippled all of the regular menus and only thing you can work it is using search.

Then Ubuntu copied it in its Dash and KDE copied it in its menu although the KDE menu is still someone usable without, but not by much. The Alt-f2 thing is also crippled due to the search. When you press alt-f2, type your command and press enter, it will still be populating its search result list, and won’t register your enter since it had not yet already selected an item. So your enter press is lost and you have to wait and in frustration do it again. Completely crippled from a normal user point of view.

I just wish I had a normal command execute thing instead of this weirdness that half doesn’t work and you barely ever use the search suggestions it finds. It is also located in a bad location (top of the screen) and this is due to the search result list, for how else are you going to display a horizontal list vertically down? (I always have an issue describing something as horizontal/vertical. To my view this thing has a horizontal orientation (text is horizontal) but a vertical disposition, so to speak (text is left right, lines are top down)).

So the list could be called vertical by common nomenclature; how to display it if the command box is actually in a better location? You hardly can.

And I don’t consider that sort of feature useful at all. It’s a bug. Baloo mostly is a bug. The arrangement of the KDE config screen is really bad. They updated it in Plasma 5 but it might actually have become worse. The visual orientation is ruined because some “horizontal” categories are only a few items wide and some have like 6-7-8 items in them. If you created your resume like that you would not get a job. If you try to attract a girl like that you would not win her. It is just really bad design.

I happily use the search facility of the KDE menu (but not too happily) because there is no point in getting any where without it. Instead of these things being mutually strengthening they are mutually crippling. A search filter is supposed to filter access paths so you see only the ones that you need. Even the search within the config screen, that does filter, does so by mildly fading all of the options that don’t match, causing you to squint your eyes looking for where the matches are. Not getting the girl.

The problem with these search features is that they hide the access paths, rendering the normal direct path unusable because you never learn it. So you are lost without the search, which means they are no longer complementary features, but features that take away from each other. The Windows 7 start menu is a joke. And they continued that joke with Windows 8. The “start screen” is almost completely unusable; again, without search, and even then. Another problem is that search requires you to use search terms equivalent to your language. As, in every language, all of the interface elements have different names, and command names often change as well.

The binary for windows notepad has always been called notepad.exe in every language version of Windows. Only the interface name was different. So, with the run box you can execute it using Winkey+R, “notepad”, enter. But if you use the search facility “Win-key, pause, notepad” it will not find it. Searching for “power” in a Dutch version of the software will not give results, you have to use “energie”, but then also the set of results might differ from what “power” would do in English. It is not consistent.

And search always requires you to put in mental effort. Each time, you have to think about what you want, and observe the result you get. Search is not a good concept or theory or activity if you always search the same things. You don’t “search” the light switch in your living room. You don’t go to some computer every time and say “computer, tell me where the light switch is”. Computer will say “same place it was last time.”

Oh, right, you didn’t need that computer because you could walk right to it. You didn’t need SEARCH. Search is reallly the worst invention they have come up with in user interface design the way they have implemented it. In theory a good concept but you must understand the reasons, the right and proper use case, and its place. And people do not. Microsoft did not and does not, and the Kubuntu/Ubuntu/KDE crowd just copied that. Nobody seems to understand why they do certain things. They are unaware of what they do and why.

So litte thought has gone into computer design these days. People no longer think, they just unquestioningly copy.

Free is never free when it comes from capitalism. Krebsonsecurity has some scary words for the boost that Win10’s habits will provide for international cybercrime (read on that if you haven’t - it’s a revolution). I wonder if there are monetary kickbacks, either intentional or simply a capitalistic by-product (there are a surprising number of these - say, different virus software companies “competing”), which is funding ms to keep their software so hackable. But maybe it’s just data mining and who cares if the bad guys can get much of that data - cost of doing business, right?

This year I made the leap. No more dual-boot windows/linux. Pure OS13.x now. Sometimes a VM with win7 when absolutely necessary.

What’s scary, though, is if the “food supply” for criminals in ms-land gets low enough, organized cybercrime may hit up us linux users in a big way. They’ve already entered mac-land in a big way. Are we next? How soon before repos are hacked? How long before there are robust malware RATs for linux?

On a side note - are there any network Wizards on here who can tell me how to make my ver*zon FIOS modem/router just a passthrough (i.e., brain-dead) device? I use a tomato router inside of the FIOS and only need the modem functionality on the FIOS box itself. It turns out that hacked/‘bot-ed’ routers are a primary source of DDOS attacks these days. (Router manufacturers almost never issue updates so they’re an easy target for the bad guys.) I’d like to disable mine from being able to be taken over.

Thanks
patti

Hi
Can you login to the FIOS box? If so just need to configure as a bridge then configure your router as required.

On 2015-08-08 14:44, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Anyways, I don’t intend to update my W7 unless I’m forced to.

I wonder… what is the life cycle for Windows 7? I’m googling it, and
it seems it may already be terminated.

I got the offer to update to W10, and I’m considering it, although I
don’t like it at all. I’ll make a full backup of the HD, to go back if I
don’t like it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)