Before I jump...

… into this new Leap 42 I would like to know IF anyone knows whether or not VMware version 10 will work on it. I want to run VMware inside Leap NOT Leap inside **VMware. **Seems all I can find in my searches is the other way around… and it is usually a newer version.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Seems to be a compile problem with vmware. At this time I’m not aware of a fix it is a vmware installer problem

Thanks muchly… you guys are always my first check. Now I will see what I can find out from VMware. I have been taken away from this for a while and now am trying to get back into it. Like to help IF I can.

-Chuck

Hi
Switch to KVM if your CPU supports Vx? No compiling required…

Yes they both do -but- I am a die hard -and- I like VMware. IF my version 10 will not work I will probably purchase the newer version that will. I use it to run Windows so I can check out things for customers and NOT have to have multiple Windows machines. Just one that will run them all. Besides that, I have a few Windows Programs that I just can’t seem to live without. Homesite and TopStyle5 are the two main ones.

However, I will look at KVM… thanks,
-Chuck

On Fri 06 May 2016 02:06:02 AM CDT, chucktr wrote:

malcolmlewis;2777586 Wrote:
> Hi
> Switch to KVM if your CPU supports Vx? No compiling required…

Yes they both do -but- I am a die hard -and- I like VMware. -IF- my
version 10 will not work I will probably purchase the newer version that
will. I use it to run Windows so I can check out things for customers
and NOT have to have multiple Windows machines. Just one that will run
them all. Besides that, I have a few Windows Programs that I just can’t
seem to live without. Homesite and TopStyle5 are the two main ones.

However, I will look at KVM… thanks,
-Chuck

Hi
Give Codeweavers crossover office a whirl and see if they work with
that, they have a trail version available…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.20-11-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks muchly… but I have tried Wine before and it did not satisfy me. I need the FULL Windows environment so that I can check things for customers -and- so I can practice what I preach … so to speak. IF I don’t know how the OS works then I can’t show someone else. I am a “LINWIN” user. Run Linux and then run Windows inside it. Because our wonderful Linux Engineers/Designers have given us the capability of using NTFS, I share data across 4 systems and can use the same file structure. -AND- because I am in a Linux system I don’t have to worry about all the Viruses. IF something messes up one of my Virtuals I can just wipe it and reload it. I save copies of the whole windows install and then just replace the ruined one. Haven’t really had any problems so far.

Thanks again,
-Chuck

Well VirtualBox works OK and at some point I guess that they will fix VMware installer

Be aware thaat VMware Workstation 10 has long passed its EOL support, so it’ll become more problematic whether it’ll work now and in the future
https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/Product-Lifecycle-Matrix.pdf

I don’t know of a current problem installing VMware Workstation 11 or 12 on LEAP or other “stable” openSUSE… There does seem to be a problem installing on the current TW (some weird gcc issue which isn’t particularly surprising).

TSU

Thank you very much… that is what I wanted to know. Guess I will invest in the UpGrade to Version 12
-Chuck

Yes, this is an ‘old’ thread but so am I.:stuck_out_tongue: Just wanted to let everyone that cares know, VMware 12 works fine inside openSuSE 13.2 and Leap 42.1. (Two different machines) I am running Windows 7 and Windows 10 inside it. I get occasional lockups and I have to go thru a Windows shutdown and then VMware shut down in order to cure it -but- for the most part we are ok. Just gota remember to do saves every so often, or sooner, if it is important.

Thanks for all your advice and help.

Cheers,
-Chuck