bbcode in forum signatures

There have been way too many spammers coming to the forums and posting messages just to have a spam link in their signatures. The problem is that allowing bbcode allows URLs to be parsed as links. :sarcastic: As a test, we’ve turned bbcode off for signatures. This may or may not be permanent depending on the reaction of the community here. It would let us stop a lot of spammers.

What say ye?

Disallow link posting in signatures for people with less than X posts if the forum software allows it or alternatively disable signatures for people with say less than 10 posts?

My signature looks nice now.

Better than mine :wink:

Surely these bots aren’t testing whether they are allowed to post links in sigs or not? I would thought it was just a case of blanket bombing and a busy period.

Oh no I need to put on my BB code glasses…
It’s OK now. :nerd:

Yikes Kim.
Looks like we’re shooting the good guys!:open_mouth:

Hey caf4926:

>Looks like we’re shooting the good guys!

Collateral damage. :slight_smile: FWIW I don’t think the software supports different
signature rights depending on number of posts. I’ll check that.

Kim (5/28/2009 2:58:22 PM Mountain)

Hey kgroneman:

>FWIW I don’t think the software supports different signature rights

It does…I just have to figure out how to use it now.

Kim (5/28/2009 3:24:29 PM Mountain)

Well, obviously the whole thing does not really help as it cannot prevent this here:

bug buddy - openSUSE Forums

And yes I also got fooled by it in the first place and thought it was a “real” call for help with somebody being stupid enough to post an e-mail address publicly, so if you don’t deactivate all types of links (which IMHO would be a very bad idea) in the posting itsself, you will not stop those spammers.

To make it a bit harder for bots to register, there is reCAPTCHA: Stop Spam, Read Books (which integrates fine into VBulletin), but still the Mods&Admins will have some work to react quickly and delete Spamposts that got passed that.

(I don’t know if this forum already uses recaptcha because I got this account automatically when registering for OBS, so forgive me, if I recommended something you already use.)

There’s a difference between “help prevent” and “prevent”. Nothing is
100% effective against spam short of turning off the ability of everyone
to post. We’re just making what efforts we can to allow the flow of ideas
to continue here while keeping spammers out as much as we can.

Kim (6/1/2009 10:15:06 AM Mountain)