Battery level shown as 0%, even if plugged in?

When I turn on the laptop, the battery level is shown correctly by the “Battery Monitor” widget.

However, sooner or later, the battery indicator goes to black, and the level is shown as 0%. A way of getting this result is unplugging and then plugging back the laptop.

I get an “unplugged” notice, but no “plugged” notice afterwards.

I’m running OpenSUSE 11.1, with the latest stable patches.

What do you mean by latest stable patches? That you ran the Yast Online Updater? Or, that you installed the latest and greatest packages from all the repos you could find?
openSUSE does not have something like ‘stable patches’.

Could it be, the battery in your laptop is old? If you did not break your system, it could be some sensor

*“What do you mean by latest stable patches? That you ran the Yast Online Updater? Or, that you installed the latest and greatest packages from all the repos you could find?”
I regularly update everything, but not with “Factory” packages; just the standard ones.

*“Could it be, the battery in your laptop is old? If you did not break your system, it could be some sensor.”
The battery is less than an year old. If I ignore messages (and, better, close the battery monitor) I get close to 3 hours’ time, so I guess the battery is OK.

If your battery status not shown in the applet, then maybe your ACPI is not working properly.
Is it possible to turn off your laptop? Are you using the latest kernel?

*If your battery status not shown in the applet, then maybe your ACPI is not working properly.
Since sometimes connection/disconnection events are “lost”, that’s likely… but how can I test --and fix!-- that)

*Is it possible to turn off your laptop?
Yes, no problem; both by hand (pressing the button) or by software (shutdown).

*Are you using the latest kernel?
I’m running 2.6.27.19-3.2.