basic pre-questions on adobe flash fix

I understand the basic way to install the adobe flashplayer is just to get the libflashplayer.so in the right directory and then it should work, but unfortunately this hasn’t worked for me yet. Before I go into any details, I want to ask some basic questions.

1. Are there any install instructions anywhere? I’ve searched, but there don’t appear to be any on adobe’s website, for example. Is there an official openSUSE set of instructions for getting flash to work? Or do I have to search the web or the forums and hope to get lucky?

2. In what directory does the libflashplayer.so belong? I’ve heard that it belongs in your home directory in .mozilla/plugins/, in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ and other places. Officially, where exactly should it be installed? And hopefully it doesn’t matter which version of the flashplayer plugin I’m trying to install, because I’m trying to get either the ‘square’ version or the old flashplayer10 to work. How should I go about finding out where this directory is? I’m guessing there are like 10 ways to find this out, so feel free to name any, a couple or all.

3. If I’m trying 10 million different things, do I only have to restart the firefox browser, or do I have to restart any conf or setup stuff between tries to see if what
    I’ve tweaked now works? Or do I not even have to restart firefox?

4. Is there any way to get flash working using only yast?

5. If youtube and everything else that uses flash worked great, just great with my old flashplayer for so long, why now all of a sudden does youtube, et al require that I upgrade my flashplayer? Is this mostly for security reasons?

6. If I use the plugin NoScript, is this jacking with my attempts to install and use the flashplayer? Normally, I get an option at the bottom to allow scripts when they come up, but I don’t get this option with youtube vids, for example. Youtube goes directly to “You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video”

7. If I do ‘about:plugins’ in the address bar and it says that I don’t have any plugins installed, what’s going on? Because I’m pretty sure I have some plugins installed.

Now, specifically for my problem: at youtube for example, if I try to view a video, I get a message that says I need to upgrade my flash plugin. So I download it, I put it in directories, etc, I try things listed on forums, etc, and I keep getting this same message. So it looks like the problem isn’t a question of the plugin working properly, it’s more like the plugin’s just not being found by firefox.

If that’s the case, my problem may be solved by question 1 above, i.e., in which exact location does the plugin belong? Even if this solves the problem, I’d still be curious to hear answers to the rest of the questions if you can. Thanks very much.

Allan

There are a couple of recommended packages (One pullin-flash-player, said to just be a placeholder) and the main file does get updated from time to time. I show that the main package flash-player, version 10.1 gets installed at these locations:

/usr/bin/flashplayer
/usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/share/applications/flashplayer.desktop
/usr/share/doc/packages/flash-player
/usr/share/doc/packages/flash-player/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/packages/flash-player/README
/usr/share/pixmaps/flashplayer.png

I have a script file that checks your version and many other things for use with playing multimedia. This is a script file you copy and past into your home bin folder. I see you have been registered for a while and should be able to create a script file. Here is the link for the script:

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Message #21 has the most recent mmcheck version you can use.

Thank You,

Hi jdm,

Thanks very much for offering your script, it works very nicely. Here is the output after selecting the ‘flash player’ option:

pullin-flash-player-11.2.1-0.1.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE

You should expect to have only two Flash Packages Installed which will be:
----------------> pullin-flash-player <----- from the openSUSE Repository.
----------------> flash-player <------------ from the openSUSE Repository.

I’ve had these recently both these installed from the openSUSE repository, and still had the problem. Just to double-check, I’ve reinstalled the flash-player, checked the installed files via your script, tried youtube again, but still no dice.

Here’s the output after both were installed:

pullin-flash-player-11.2.1-0.1.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
flash-player-10.1.102.64-0.2.1-i586 -> openSUSE

The only possible alarm I see is that the architectures for the pullin-* and the flash-player* are different, one being x86_64 and the other i586.

Any other ideas?

Allan

That’s normal, here on 11.2 I have:

pullin-flash-player-11.2.1-0.1.1.x86_64
flash-player-10.1.102.64-0.2.1.i586

Flashplayer is a 32-bit app and interfaced via a shim to 64-bit browsers. There have been beta versions of 64-bit Flashplayer, then off, then on again. Flash is a necessary evil but Adobe jerks users around, in addition to issuing a constant stream of patches for holes.

pullin-flash-player-11.3.1-2.1.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE                                                                                                           
flash-player-10.1.102.64-0.2.1-i586 -> openSUSE                                                                                                               

This is the output on my PC and so your second status output with both files is correct. So, after actually installing Flash, does it work OK? Your first status screen did not have Flash installed which would of course not work with Flash Web Pages at all.

Thank You,

No, it didn’t work after the flash install.

Try this it’s a gui way
1.open Yast go to Software Management
2. In Search type in nspluginwrapper see what you get in the pane on the right. It should look like this:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8937/pluginpic1.th.png](http://img408.imageshack.us/i/pluginpic1.png/)

3.If the box is unchecked, check it to install then click Accept

If it is checked & you got nspluginwrapper well then I don’t know.