Banshee not picking up iPod.

I have an iPod Classic 6th Gen and am using Banshee for my music needs, however Banshee is not picking up my iPod. When I connect the iPod via my USB Cable, it is visible in the File Browser, and mounted to the Desktop. Banshee just isn’t picking it up!

Any Help? Thanks :wink:

Do you have ipod-sharp and libgpod-sharp installed?

I really couldn’t tell you, as I’m relatively new to openSUSE…How would I find that out?

In a terminal, enter

rpm -q <packagename>

replacing <packagename> with the name of the package.

Hi,

Do you use the 1.7.5 or lower version? I had this problem too with my mp3 player (not an iPod though) and I installed the 1.7.6 version available here : Banshee » Download

It solved my problem.

Alright, I updated to the newest version and install libgpod-sharp and ipod-sharp, restarted and still nothing…iPod is still picked up in the File Browser, but not Banshee.

Why don’t you launch Banshee in a terminal, ‘banshee-1’, and show the output here? Wrap the output in code tags.

[Info  16:38:15.339] Running Banshee 1.7.5: [Banshee / openSUSE_11.3 (linux-gnu, x86_64) @ 2010-09-14 21:35:00 UTC]
[Warn  16:38:15.734] Hardware manager extension failed to load - System.InvalidOperationException: Type 'Banshee.Hardware.Gio.HardwareManager' not found in add-in 'Banshee.Gio,1.0' (in `Mono.Addins')
  at Mono.Addins.RuntimeAddin.GetType (System.String typeName, Boolean throwIfNotFound) [0x00000] in &lt;filename unknown&gt;:0 
  at Mono.Addins.TypeExtensionNode.get_Type () [0x00000] in &lt;filename unknown&gt;:0 
  at Mono.Addins.TypeExtensionNode.CreateInstance () [0x00000] in &lt;filename unknown&gt;:0 
  at Mono.Addins.InstanceExtensionNode.CreateInstance (System.Type expectedType) [0x00000] in &lt;filename unknown&gt;:0 
  at Banshee.Hardware.HardwareManager..ctor () [0x00000] in &lt;filename unknown&gt;:0 
[Info  16:38:16.416] Updating web proxy from GConf
[Info  16:38:16.494] All services are started 0.944823
[Info  16:38:17.505] nereid Client Started
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/003: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/003: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/004: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/003: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/003: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/004: Permission denied.

I’m guessing there is a problem with the USB bits at the bottom? :wink:

Sorry, I don’t know what to tell you. It could be that the device is busy, but you might try the Banshee mailing list to find out more.

banshee-list Info Page

Ouch…does anyone else have any input? This is quite frustrating!

You might try RhythmBox, or Amarok for KDE.

I was searching in the Software Repository and clicked everything that had iPod in it…restarted my computer and now Banshee picks up my iPod!

Haha lol!