Banshee/Amarok sound locks flash'es sound and Flash locks player's

Strange thing I got here. When I play video and start audio player (tested banshee and amarok), the player do not play anything at all, no sound, the progress bar do not move. When flash video in example ends, somehow banshee or amarok starts playing something. Same when I try to launch banshee and then flash. Then browser lags for some time, and plays video without sound.
Neither flash version (rpm vs 64-bit .so) change, neither browser change, neither desktop enviroment change helped to void the issue.
Otherwise sound plays as usual. If this problem with multiple audio sources how i have to fix it.
It’s really anoying.

Hi,

I noted this strange behaviour too in the last couple of days. I am testing it right now, nad it does exactly what you are saying.

Are you using Pulse Audio?

Strange thing I got here. When I play video and start audio player (tested banshee and amarok), the player do not play anything at all, no sound, the progress bar do not move. When flash video in example ends, somehow banshee or amarok starts playing something. Same when I try to launch banshee and then flash. Then browser lags for some time, and plays video without sound.
Neither flash version (rpm vs 64-bit .so) change, neither browser change, neither desktop enviroment change helped to void the issue.
Otherwise sound plays as usual. If this problem with multiple audio sources how i have to fix it.
It’s really anoying.
Could you please post your openSUSE version and Desktop used and version. I might ask if you would check your multimedia setup using mmcheck. Message #40 has the most recent script you should use:

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Thank You,

Hi jdmcdaniel3,

I have run the scripts. I got this one :

. Show if gstreamer Plugins/Codecs Packages are Installed from Packman …

Command: --query --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} → %{VENDOR}
’ ‘gstreamer*’

le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg n’est pas installé
gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3-0.10.14-42.pm.42.1-x86_64 -> PackMan :: Startseite
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mpegdemux n’est pas installé
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mpegmux n’est pas installé
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad n’est pas installé
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-0.10.30-999.pm.1001.2-x86_64 -> PackMan :: Startseite
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good n’est pas installé
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra n’est pas installé
le paquetage gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly n’est pas installé

You should expect to have all 9 gstreamer packages installed from Packman.

Should I really install them all?

Same for this one :

8 . Show if ffmpeg/lame/libmad0/k3b Packages are Installed from Packman …

Command: rpm --query --all --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} → %{VENDOR}
’ ffmpeg lame libmad0 k3b k3b-codecs k3b-lang

k3b-lang-2.0.1-7.2-noarch -> obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE
ffmpeg-0.6.25512svn-2.pm.5.5-x86_64 -> PackMan :: Startseite
libmad0-0.15.1b-2.pm.3.1-x86_64 -> PackMan :: Startseite
k3b-2.0.1-7.2-x86_64 -> obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE

You should expect to show six Packages Installed here from Packman.
called ---------> k3b-lang <------------ from the Packman Repository.
called ---------> libmad0 <------------- from the Packman Repository.
called ---------> k3b <----------------- from the Packman Repository.
called ---------> k3b-codecs <---------- from the Packman Repository.
called ---------> lame <---------------- from the Packman Repository.
called ---------> ffmpeg <-------------- from the Packman Repository.

Missing one in step 11.

For step 13, is it worth installing the last Flash player plug-in in 64 bits since Adobe rebuild it?

1. Show if Flash Packages are Installed from openSUSE …

Command: rpm --query --all --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} → %{VENDOR}
’ ‘flash

pullin-flash-player-11.3.1-2.1.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
flash-player-10.1.102.64-0.2.1-i586 -> openSUSE

You should expect to have only two Flash Packages Installed which will be:
----------------> pullin-flash-player <----- from the openSUSE Repository.
----------------> flash-player <------------ from the openSUSE Repository.

Should I really install them all?
Yes, Yes and Yes again.

Now, if you can show that you don’t need all of them and you can even play iTunes Movie Trailers, then I would consider revising the application. However, the real question is; are you running out of disk space or is it just too much trouble to install the few applications that mmcheck looks for? mmcheck is a composite of all of the recommendations I have read from experts on the subject. To say you can’t get by without all of them might be a mistake, but why would you want to? Either you are concerned about your multimedia operation working or you are not. If it is the latter, then there is no reason to complain about the problem as the issue is not really with openSUSE, but your desire to have something you are not willing to take the effort to achieve.

You asked and I did thusly reply.

Thank You,

When I play video and start audio player (tested banshee and amarok), the player do not play anything at all,

This is normal behaviour
Typically, you can only demand audio from one application at a time

Well it is not the same behaviour. Flash lags when trying to launch accidently video when player is working. And sometimes even when the player paused in flash sound wouldn’t come. In reality even nowadays sound hardware supports multiple streams at same time.
Imagine situation: I am bored and start in example playing, or just searching videos, with my music turned on. It’s not working. Some time ago with Ubuntu Linux I had expierienced that when I run openal, it could not emit sound, because something was taking it’s predestined chanel and I couldn’t found what. After some horible change of config files, with multitude of backends of frontends (pulseaudio, oss, esound, sdl sound, alsa, etc) it worked. I think such behaviour (locking chanel) is wrong, because one poorly writen program could lock channel for longer time than it needed.
I tried various tricks (even enabled pulseaudio). Nothing worked. But after 3 or more restarts, it began to work. I don’t know what happened. Now I’m happy.

Hi jdmcdaniel3,

You seem to pretend that I don’t have confidence in your script and in the purpose of it. That was not my intention. I was just wondering if I had to install them all to have utmost performance, that’s all. I don’t mind installing such small peices of apps. :slight_smile:

Apart from this strange behaviour, I never noticed any problem, not that I know of. But we learn things everyday and discover bugs once in a while. So, I found this one… :wink:

Never tried iTunes Movie Trailer, but I recall having problem reading them in my openSUSE 11.2. I’ll have a check tonight.

Hi jdmcdaniel3,

You seem to pretend that I don’t have confidence in your script and in the purpose of it. That was not my intention. I was just wondering if I had to install them all to have utmost performance, that’s all. I don’t mind installing such small peices of apps. :slight_smile:

Apart from this strange behaviour, I never noticed any problem, not that I know of. But we learn things everyday and discover bugs once in a while. So, I found this one… :wink:

Never tried iTunes Movie Trailer, but I recall having problem reading them in my openSUSE 11.2. I’ll have a check tonight.
The intent of mmcheck is to allow you to see if you have all of the recommended applications loaded from the right sources. If you have any oddities in playing any media format, then follow the suggestions in mmcheck and load it all. So far, I have been able to get every PC working with every format. In one case, I decided the issue was with the sound card and its coaxial output and when I replaced it with a different sound card, without changing anything else on the PC or openSUSE, even that PC started working with everything I have tried (as always, one can never really say they have tried everything). In another case, the issue was having the headphone output muted, even as I could find no headphone output any where on the PC, that kept iTunes from playing sound, even as all other things worked.

So, what does all of the mean? If you follow the mmcheck suggestions, which is a collection of recommendations from many experts on the subject, you will be able to play all medias I am aware of. The exception seem to be with the exact sound card or video card you have installed. What you find most of the time then is that video works, but sound does not or sound works and video does not. Then, it is some kind of sound card or video card incompatibility with alsa or something else I am unaware of right now.

So, I challenge anyone that reads this message to follow the suggestions in the mmcheck script and then go to iTunes and try to play a video and see what you get. Unless you are real unlucky it either should all work OR, maybe you get video, but no audio or some other variation. Load and run mmcheck as shown in message #40. Ask for help if you do not understand how a script file works.

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Then, once you have met all of the mmcheck requirements, go to the iTunes web site and play some Movie trailers. Report back with your success or failure.

iTunes Movie Trailers

My favorite movie trailer right now is for TRON … They have no less that seven trailers you can look at.

Tron Legacy - Movie Trailers - iTunes

While I wrote the mmcheck script file, I do not take credit for any of the suggestions it has written within on the media files you should be loading. You have got to trust me that following these suggestions in mmcheck are a very good thing to do.

**What are you waiting for?
Thank You,

I had a similiar situation and fixed it. I got information on configuring the kernel sound modules by getting the documentation for the card at the alsa-project.org site. then I added a line to /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf so now thefile looks like:

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

5Dex.gK2Bvf1HDkE:SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 enable_msi=1 single_cmd=0

the last line is the one I added thanks to the info from the alsa web site.
good luck.