Bad download speed in openSUSE 11.2 when compared to openSUSE 10.3

I was a user of openSUSE 10.3. I used to get a decent speed in BitTorrent (using KTorrent 2.2.1) there, since I had earlier used Windows and the speed wasn’t as good, even in Windows 7. Recently, I installed openSUSE 11.2 and found that I wasn’t getting the good speeds in KTorrent. The overall performance was a fraction of what I used to get in the older Linux installation.

I decided to verify whether my suspicions were justified by again reinstalling openSUSE 10.3. When I did this, I was again able to get the great performance I used to get always with openSUSE 10.3 running KTorrent 2.2.1

I don’t know what causes this, but I know that this sad thing really has happened. A newer version is actually not worth it!

I hope my voice reaches the openSUSE developers and such bad incidences don’t occur anymore.

Would love to have comments or suggestions here.

Could it be a problem with ivp6 ?

What happens if you boot with this boot code :

ipv6.disable=1

Your voice will not reach openSUSE developers here. They typically do not visit the forum.

If you wish to reach the developers you need to either

• join the openSUSE mailing lists and post there, or
  • write a bug report on openSUSE, or
    *]provide a feature submission to openSUSE’s openFATE.
    Our forum is staffed by volunteers/enthusiasts of openSUSE.

It could also be that DHT was deliberately removed from ktorrent for supposed legal issues, maybe try another client or switch to the packman version.

Are you using wireless? I get a massive speed difference between the opensource b43 driver and the proprietary wl driver (300k/sec compared to 3 megs/sec!). That’s only relevant if you are using a Broadcom wireless card of course.

oldcpu:

Thanks for your advice. I have gotten rid of openSUSE 11.2 for now and already started my work on openSUSE 10.3 so I won’t be able to test the IPv6 trick you suggested. However, I’ll save all the information you give me and I’ll test it when I get another chance.

I do disable IPv6 completely when installing openSUSE 10.3, and if I remember correctly, when installing openSUSE 11.2 as well.

Anyway, I’ll use the ways you suggested to get my point across to openSUSE developers. I often have issues I want to discuss with them.

growbag:

I don’t think it is because of DHT because DHT was disabled in both the installations I used, yet there was a speed difference between both the installations.

I am also not using Wireless here! Thanks anyway!

Good luck on 10.3. In 11.2 they changed how IPv6 is handled, and none of the old guides for disabling ipv6 will work in 11.2. I think the boot code method I mentioned for 11.2 might be one of the few, if the only, way to disable ipv6 in 11.2.